PDA

View Full Version : Geronimo

barnburner
03-28-2011, 01:20 AM
My try at a portrait of Wes Studi's portrayal of Geronimo, in the movie of the same name.
Used a reference picture from the movie. It's attached below the painting.

Thanks to Sketch for his great tutorial on hair. I didn't do it justice, but I'm learning.
All done in AR2.5, airbrush, chalk, crayon, andknife.
Multiple Layers.

justjean
03-28-2011, 03:42 AM
He looks great Barn, I can't make the crayon or chalk do anything for me :D

pat1940
03-28-2011, 04:23 AM
Very nice Barny, I love the background colors;);):)

barnburner
03-28-2011, 04:24 AM
He looks great Barn, I can't make the crayon or chalk do anything for me :D

Thanks Jean. I can't do an entire painting with them like some do, but they are handy tools for certain things. I used the crayon for the hair (Sketch's Tutorial). I used the chalk out of desperation. In the reference picture, the actor has lots of these little pock marks, for lack of a better term. Every time I tried to duplicate them, it just came out like dots standing on top of the face. So, I changed the layer to a "crumpled" canvas, which made the chalk break up into little pieces. Then I took the eraser at 3% pressure and about 25 to 40% area, and just kept erasing until they looked more like they were a part of the face instead of sitting on top of it.:)
Thanks again!

Alexandra
03-28-2011, 04:51 AM
Wow, very good Mike!!!

barnburner
03-28-2011, 05:07 AM
Very nice Barny, I love the background colors;);):)

Thank you Pat. I borrowed that background from a painting I did a couple of years ago. Divided, stretched, flipped, blended, and darkened so it was different and used it here.:):)

barnburner
03-28-2011, 05:09 AM
Wow, very good Mike!!!

I put in two plus hard days of work on this, and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. Thank you very much Sandy. :):)

gxhpainter2
03-28-2011, 05:51 AM
nice work. you did a great job with the face and hair. :)

mannafig
03-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Very nice work dear Barn your portraits are coming on nicely:):)

barnburner
03-28-2011, 06:27 AM
nice work. you did a great job with the face and hair. :)

Thank you very much. I truly appreciate that. :)

barnburner
03-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Very nice work dear Barn your portraits are coming on nicely:):)

Amanda, thank you very much. Luckily I had this very talented artist from England that gave me some very good pointers.....:):):)

Evart
03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
I like it, especially the way you defined his hair.

waheednasir
03-28-2011, 05:38 PM
nice work and a good actor. the title also reminds of one of the great instrumentals by The Shadows, Geronimo.

:).

semd74
03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
You did a great job capturing the likeness...I like this painting. Well done.

Sketchism71
03-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Fantastic job barnburner! The likeness is excellent and I like your impression. The hair turned out great and I hope the tutorial helped out a little, thanks for trying it out! The crayon tool has always been my favorite, I think because my art background was in graphite more than paint. Love the stylized background-sky as well! Well Done!:D:D:D

Caesar
03-28-2011, 09:15 PM
The likeness is perfect, the composition with a colorful sunset too and the backlit portrait is quite expressive.
Maybe the only observation could be that the face should possibly have some parts getting some reflected light and possibly a slight halo somewhere on the boundaries of the silhouette, thus a somehow wider tonal range to add a little more volume.

barnburner
03-29-2011, 12:15 AM
I like it, especially the way you defined his hair.

Thank you Ev... Sketch's tutorial on hair really helped me there. :):)

barnburner
03-29-2011, 12:15 AM
You did a great job capturing the likeness...I like this painting. Well done.

Thanks Steve.. Glad you liked it. :)

barnburner
03-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Fantastic job barnburner! The likeness is excellent and I like your impression. The hair turned out great and I hope the tutorial helped out a little, thanks for trying it out! The crayon tool has always been my favorite, I think because my art background was in graphite more than paint. Love the stylized background-sky as well! Well Done!:D:D:D

Thank you so much Sketch.. Your tutorial was a life saver in regards to making this portrait work. I tried your tutorial once before, and just couldn't make it work. Tried it again with this project, and suddenly - I understood. :):)

barnburner
03-29-2011, 12:19 AM
The likeness is perfect, the composition with a colorful sunset too and the backlit portrait is quite expressive.
Maybe the only observation could be that the face should possibly have some parts getting some reflected light and possibly a slight halo somewhere on the boundaries of the silhouette, thus a somehow wider tonal range to add a little more volume.

Caesar, thank you so much. Appreciate the fine tips too. :):)

AT-TA
03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Barney i like the background a lot, how it reflects nicely on his face and makes the painting moody . Very good work. :)

barnburner
03-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Barney i like the background a lot, how it reflects nicely on his face and makes the painting moody . Very good work. :)

I really appreciate that AT... Thank you. :):)

coops
03-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Another fine and moving painting Barnburner:)

barnburner
03-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Another fine and moving painting Barnburner:)

Thank you so much Coops... I do appreciate your kind words...:):)