PDA

View Full Version : Cameo

Caesar
03-26-2011, 02:20 AM
I made this experiment and got a promising way to make a very fast chiaroscuro study by means of a simple, but effective tonal sketch.
The process is quite simple and is all on the same layer.

I used only half thick oil (square and some round brush on the draping) and hard knife at low pressure.
First You draw the dark background.
Then You outline with a light color the areas and figures and trace some line for the drapery folds directions too.
Now You fill the areas with oil in a light tone going more or less from the light source direction down.
You use then the knife from the opposite side and more or less the same direction. Then some more curved blending fo transition and suggestion of curves by figuring out and following the body and draping geometries also as suggested by what Your mind think to see.
Final touches as You wish or feel necessary.

What I got is a sort of Coops-like dancing figure style in 10-15 minutes. I could obviously change the color of the darkest part by just filling an additional hue.

I hope You may find this experiment and approach interesting.

barnburner
03-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Great idea Caesar...very well done.:):)

mannafig
03-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Very nice dear Cesare I like this pose and can imagine satin sheets and pillows:):)

gxhpainter2
03-26-2011, 03:38 AM
Cesar - cool. I like it!.... i personally have no skill at figurative work but i appreciate it greatly. I really like your treatment of the head and neck area, no overly defined and very graphic. I think it would make a nice cover for a fashion mag...

coops
03-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Nice painting Cesare I too feel like those sheets are satin. Glad I help in some little way:)

Alexandra
03-26-2011, 08:57 AM
All of it beautiful dear Cesare, and I too am taken with the blue and satiny effect around her.

Jasminek
03-26-2011, 09:49 AM
I like the outcome of this experiment dear Caesar.:)

damasocl
03-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Wonderful work, dear Caesar!
And, thanks by details to do it...

Muir Dragonne
03-26-2011, 08:15 PM
That's really good, Caesar! Think I'll try this once this cold has left me.

semd74
03-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Good idea and approach...thanks for sharing

Caesar
03-27-2011, 04:50 AM
Always looking for speedy ways to set up some idea, dear Barn! Thank you!

Thank You, dear Amanda! It's a different way to doodle, but with funny and interesting outcomes and effects.

Dear Gxhpainter, I started with a quite fraphic idea, an outlines silhouette, to then evolve in a sort of simplified tonal study by directional knife blending strokes. It already gives some good indication on the shape and tones of a possible composition in a more precise way than by rough area filling brushes. By adding some colors (by filling for instance or within a selection) You might provide a more complete preliminary study, extended to the main colors of the palette. Thank You!

Dear Katie, Your paintings and personality are both inspiring for anyone in here I think. The dancing silhouettes compositions by You are just one among Your many wondeful images, subjects and styles that delighted me. Thank You!

Thank You, dear Sandra. A good approach then should I start designing fashion clothes, outfit and lingerie ...:D

Dear Jasmine, I guess that, beyond cmaeos production, this style could be used for oriebtal paintings with pearl-like muted colorsilhouette. I should find a rice paper as canvas ...:rolleyes: Thank You!

Thank You, dear Damaso! I hope a master like You may enjoy and exploit better this approach!

I'll keep wait Your recovery and outcome then, dear Muir. Thank You!

I hope the procedure is simple enough and I explained it quite clearly so that You may have some fun too, dear Semd74! Thank You!

byroncallas
03-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Quite good Caesar - I must try your technique. The effect is lovely. :)

Sketchism71
03-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Great idea, technique, and a beautiful image Caesar!

pat1940
03-27-2011, 09:07 AM
Wonderful experiment Caesar, and you are so kind to share, thanks;);):)

Caesar
03-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Thank You, dear Byron, Sketch and Pat!

justjean
03-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Caesar,thanks so much for sharing the info on how you achieved this great effect,wonderful silk and satin look along with the elegant lady

Evart
03-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Very cool. I give it five stars, out of five stars :) I can imagine it as an animation.

waheednasir
03-28-2011, 05:40 PM
yes mate, i like the approach. always like the casual suggestions..:). good work.

Caesar
03-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Thank You, dear Jean. The pearl muted tones You may get this way could also be of some use on some other details and materials of a painting.

Right dear Evart! A sort of inverse Chinese Shadows Theatre animation! :rolleyes::) Thank you!

Thank You, dear Waheed! I'm always looking for some sketching approach where speed and interaction between Your mental vision, specific practises and some happy accident can mix and magically work together to produce some tasty and credible image or preliminary study.