PDA

View Full Version : Explorations

Caesar
03-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Here's a painting I made starting from a palette I got from three starting colors,plus white and black and very loosely inspired (it's quite different and far from a copy) to a master I appreciate and who was a reference for great American illustrators of the past.
Oil and knife, one layer. Not really an accurate work on figures and the rest and without any preliminary study.
It was just a self-training, but I hope it's good enough to see ...

Mike Severoff
03-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Excellent, Caesar!

AT-TA
03-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Caesar, love the colors, so classic... love the figure, coming gently out of the background. It is prima.. as we would say...:-)...like this..a lot.:)

Caesar
03-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Dear Mike, the difficulty mixing the colors in AR (true mode) is that You cannot get the darker or lighter tones by merely thinning or de-thinning the color You pick from the palette. Moreover, by mixing, You don't get a darker tone that that of the darkest component. Thank You!

Dear Anna, prima is an expression I know from German, thank You! It's curious to notice how different colors look like from one screen to another one of mine ones! It's not that good in my view, but here and there there are some interesting colors tones and contrasts.

pat1940
03-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Caesar, this is wonderful, love the texture, you are so good with textures and colors, magnificent job;);););):):):)

Alexandra
03-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Please illustrate someday Cesare, you are fantastic.

semd74
03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
A very fine painting (as usual)

justjean
03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
I think everything about this scene is wonderful, put just a small question .. what is coming over the fellows shoulder?:)

byroncallas
03-11-2011, 04:03 PM
I find it lovely Caesar. It reminds me a bit of a style that was common in illustrated stories for young people when I was growing up. You've got a knack for so many different styles. Your expression here is quite effective. You're little "studies" show how much you've continually developed art and skills all applied to an eclectic exploration of your various muses.

Suha
03-11-2011, 05:04 PM
I love these colors and Facial features wonderful:)

coops
03-12-2011, 02:14 AM
That so looks like a for real painting Cesare. I love the colour palette. Well done:)

soapy
03-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Nice paint. The candle holders are really convincing.

Caesar
03-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Thank You all, dear friends.
Jean, it's just a furry part and scarf vaguely painted what You see on the shoulder ...
Illustrations? I would like to, but apparently not a good business, according to the rates reported by Nick in his thread .... and, who would hire an old wreck like me without any specific curriculum? :D

javier
03-15-2011, 09:59 AM
This is great dear friend, I love

mannafig
03-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Fantastic dear Cesare:):)

barnburner
03-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Caesar, you are blessed with an incredible talent. Beautifully done! :):)

Caesar
03-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Thank you, dear Javier! There's something, ancient, pastoral, religious in this image I got by focusing and working inspired by a painting by Frank Brangwyn. I derived the whole palette from three colors plus white and black to keep the outcome harmonized.

Thank you, dear Amanda! Hopefully Your tiger is not out of the WIP stage and stalking around ....:eek::D

Dear BarnBurner, I'm rather even more blessed by good and kind friends like You in here and their compliments making me blush! :o:p:p Certainly I just cannot stick to and optimize a unique style and approach. Anyway I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse. :rolleyes::(:D Thank You!

Weeks
03-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Ceasar :)

I like the palette an subject so much.
I'm a fan :eek:

Best,

Weeks

Caesar
03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Thank You very much, dear Weeks! :)

Lima
03-17-2011, 01:35 PM
A marvel Caesar. This type of paint using three colors, plus white and black, is really a great pictorial exercise. According to the great Spanish master Párramon, we can get about 85 different matizes, by mixing yellow, blue, and madder, more white. Your painting is a fantastic beauty. Congratulations.

MacPix
03-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I love the use of a limited palette! And the face is wonderful! Always enjoy all you do!:D:D:D

jibes
03-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Excellent idea and painting. A great idea to use a master's work as inspiration in painting. I agree though, not to copy but with an ideal towards a higher degree of achievement.

Caesar
03-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Thank you, dear Oriane. I know very well maestro Parramon, because I've got several books by him among my many ones about painting tools and techniques and he's a really excellent teacher! Actually many old master, Velasquez is a clear and luminous example, but also all the Italian masters before, had a quite limited number of pigments, many of them very expensive. This helped them for sure to get more easily an harmonised palette and attention to tones. Moreover nature don't tend to have saturated colors, so they had to learn how to work and make shine hues usually less brilliant and intense than the ones of today by far richer offer. The colorful masters, of ancient Venitian tradition in particular, learned pretty soon how to make color sing by complementary color use too.

Dear MacPix, I'm so pleased by Your most kind comment and also somehow a little embarassed by the fact that I do not apply a more diligent and longer method since I use to paint just for fun and not long enough to an idea, thus working too little to make my painting look a little better and more refined and finished looking. Thank you, very much.

Thank You, dear Jibes. Actually I should do many more so as to capture here and there something which may become a second nature and improve by authomatisms my approach and skills when I face the task to render an imaginary work of mine.

Lima
03-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Caro amico, Cesare. Hai perfettamente ragione. Parramon non è stato un grande maestro della pittura. Tuttavia, Parramon era un insegnante spettacolare dell'arte della pittura. Così, il gran numero di libri che ha scritto. Ho usato questo riferimento perché ho uno dei suoi libri. Naturalmente, i grandi maestri italiani dell'arte della pittura imparato così significativamente il colore dei pigmenti, che le sue opere sono perenni. Sto mettendo questi due link (che probabilmente già sapete, ma in qualsiasi modo), che formulano il problema. La vostra cultura artistica è impressionante. E 'bello leggere le vostre argomentazioni.

http://www.cyberlipid.org/perox/oxid0011.htm

http://www.realcolorwheel.com/1history.htm

Dear friend, Caesar. You're absolutely right. Parramon was not a great master of painting. However, Parramon was a spectacular teacher of the art of painting. Thus, the large number of books he wrote. I used this reference because I have one of his books. Of course, the great Italian masters of the art of painting mastered so significantly the color of pigments, that their works are perennial. I'm putting these two links (you probably already know, but any way), which formulate the problem. Your artistic culture is impressive. It 'nice to read your arguments.

Caesar
03-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Thank You, dear Oriane! You master so well Italian too that I feel obliged to learn some Portuguese beyond the very few words and expressions I know.
I must confess that I like reading of both art history and painting technical books because it's a little bit like painting when, most often, I can't.
Obviously connection of art with culture of any kind is so strict and interactive that I really enjoy to learn abut almost any topic ...
Your links are great!

Jim Walsh
03-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Nice style. Is is a procession?

screenpainter
03-19-2011, 09:23 PM
who is the artist that inspired this one Ceasar? great painting and beautiful variety of colors from just the initial palette.

Caesar
03-20-2011, 05:56 AM
Thank You, dear Jim! Actually it looks like a medieval procession.

Dear Albert, I used more loosely than ever part of a Frank Brangwyn painting I'm attaching herebelow to test this limited palette. Thank You!