PDA

View Full Version : Mountain torrent (duplicated and blurred layer)

Caesar
03-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Here it is ... form a small picture on paper as a reference. Mouse only.
I think I should blur it to some extent. Chalk is a little too grainy on the JPEG, much more than it looks on original ArtRage format.

I duplicate the layer and slightly blurred the one underneath.

barnburner
03-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Actually, I think it's great just as it is. Splendid landscape Caesar!:)

eighty+
03-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Hail O Caesar how the hell you can do these with a mouse the mind

Boggles yeah. :D:(:D:D:(:D:D----E/S

waheednasir
03-05-2011, 08:17 PM
looks very nice caesar and i like the 2nd one more. right decision to blur it a little..:).

barnburner
03-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Well done Caesar.. That's a neat trick, duplicating and blurring only one. Good one to keep in mind. :):)

Alexandra
03-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Wow, what a beauty Cesare!

MacPix
03-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Both are just beautiful, but I love the texture of the first!:D

byroncallas
03-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Very nice Caesar. It's fun seeing the different comments. For whatever reasons, I have a leaning towards the unblurred version - it somehow seems more "immediate". But both are quite nice. :):):)

EDIT. I went back and looked again. Now I like the second one better. ;)

Caesar
03-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Thank You all, dear Barnburner, ATPlus, Waheed, Sandra, MacPix and Byron.
Actually I should improve the process to use more effectively chalk. Anyway I appreciated the natural colors in the original picture and the composition was good too, so I decided to tranfer them in this color spots salad somehow and hoped to keep some uniformity and impression effect by using chalk without covering in full the sheet light hue.
Hope to do better in the future.

L Skylar Brown
03-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Caesar - This is beautiful. I have found, when I want the chalk to have more of a smmoth pastel application, I can smooth & blend with the first knife setting.

Caesar
03-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Thank you, dear Skylar for Your appreciation and advice. :)
I find too that hard knife, the first, is the most useful one in many instances, since it doesn't distort, displace or make fuzzy colors too much loosing texture and brushwork excessively. At low pressure it blends oil magnificently (if nott too much thinned).
It's correct to use that blending system, especially on a base layer underneath, to avoid grainy textures where not appropriate to be so evident, thus especially when there are high tonal differences between colored and uncolored points. Unfortunately i tend to be a little lazy and sometimes I wish to try and "alla prima" version which can hardly provide great results for an amateur like me with too little and narrow practice and expertise.