PDA

View Full Version : Chalk and color study

Sketchism71
02-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Well I won't take full credit for how pretty this turned out and I will take no credit on the design - it's not mine. The original artist who's work I used for this study is Susan Sarback (http://www.lightandcolor.com/susan.html). She uses incredible color and light in her work. It appears she works in mainly pastels and in oil. I wasn't going to post this because it was just purely to study how she uses color and value as well as learn the chalk tool but I found it extremely useful as a learning tool. Next step is to hit the road with my camera in search of some interesting landscapes and try to put all this knowledge to work.

This is also the first image I have done using the chalk tool (it takes a little getting used to).

Thanks for checking it out!:)

pat1940
02-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Sketch, so glad you did post this, it is beautiful, also it may help others (like me) with the chalk, still cant seem to get what I want from it, so if it is okay, I would like to download and copy this for practise, if that is okay with you;);):)

pat1940
02-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Sketch forgot to ask, is this all chalk or is oil also in this

byroncallas
02-27-2011, 10:52 AM
It's beautiful Eddie. Very finely executed with your usual good eye for color and balance. Your work with the chalk seems expertly handled. You should be very pleased with the results (and you do seem to be :)). Yes, will much look forward to this application against one of your own designs. Again, beautiful.

Sketchism71
02-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Sketch, so glad you did post this, it is beautiful, also it may help others (like me) with the chalk, still cant seem to get what I want from it, so if it is okay, I would like to download and copy this for practise, if that is okay with you;);):)

Absolutely Pat... Go for it! I would love to see how it turns out. It was 100% chalk tool (on different pressure and size settings at different times through the painting). You may just have to play around with the pressure setting as you get the feel of the tool. I used three layers. The bottom layer I used as a dark purplish canvas. Middle layer used as the chalk image itself and the top layer was a quick sketch that was turned off when I had all the colors blocked in. I painted on "Basic Paper" default settings at a size of 2700px X 1800px at 150 px/inch. Good Luck!:D

Byron - Thanks a bunch! I am happy with it but nowhere near as happy as I would be if it came from my brain!:)

byroncallas
02-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I hear ya Eddie. From the brain will be the next one - and no doubt it will be killer.

BTW, your new Avatar is terrific. Have you ever posted the source painting? In the Avatar it's pretty darn cool. :)

Sketchism71
02-27-2011, 11:48 AM
I here ya Eddie. From the brain will be the next one - and not doubt it will be killer.

BTW, your new Avatar is terrific. Have you ever posted the source painting? In the Avatar it's pretty darn cool. :)

lol! I never posted the image here. I was messing around with color again the other night and needed a subject so I painted what was directly in front of me - my lamp table! I spent probably a whole 20 minutes on it and figured it probably would look pretty cool (very small) so it became my avatar... Thanks for noticing it... here is the original painting...

byroncallas
02-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Eddie, The source for the Avatar is terrifically vibrant and immediate. I have to say I love it and suspect you're gonna get great feedback on it. :):)

screenpainter
02-27-2011, 01:01 PM
beautiful. never seen a chalk piece that beautiful.
I like the other painting as well. you are an amazing artist.

Sketchism71
02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Albert and Byron - you both are way to kind! Thank you!:D

Muir Dragonne
02-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Very nice study! It came out beautifully! :)

pat1940
02-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Thankyou Sketch, and really appreciate the info on it, will do my best and hope it is good enough to post:D

L Skylar Brown
02-28-2011, 07:23 AM
You did a fabulous job on this, regardless of source. (I found, when using chalk, I can push, blend, and smooth it with the knife.)

wenkat
02-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for providing a much needed space for the usually overlooked tool - chalk! Your work nevertheless inspires everyone to go for it!:)

Belvrog
02-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Both are absolutely beautiful Sketch. I agree on the palettes she's using, they are gorgeous and you did a really beautiful rendition here. Btw. thanks for the link. :)

Caesar
02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Impressive mastery on both works. The first one looks as nice as the reference.

mannafig
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Both paintings are marvelous:):)

Lima
03-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Bravo Eddie. Excelent works.

jonwood
03-01-2011, 03:35 AM
Very nice work as always Eddie...

barnburner
03-01-2011, 03:41 AM
Sketch, this is just amazing... The chalk tool is a handy tool to use for spot work, but to paint an entire painting with it....Wow! This is superb.:):):)

Alexandra
03-01-2011, 05:09 AM
Well done Eddie, what a feast for the eyes! :):):):):)

Nika
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Excellent chalk work. Beautiful palette :):):)

pat1940
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi Sketch, I am doing the chalk painting you did and I get these little white pinholes in the painting, I am blending with the knife, but does not seem to get rid of the pinholes, any suggestions would be appreciated:confused:

JOSEPHINE.EARP
03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Simply beautifull, You have got me trying chalk now thank you so much Best wishes Jo x

Sketchism71
03-02-2011, 05:02 AM
Thank you EVERYONE very much for all the encouraging comments on this. I hope to explore this a bit more!:)

Hi Sketch, I am doing the chalk painting you did and I get these little white pinholes in the painting, I am blending with the knife, but does not seem to get rid of the pinholes, any suggestions would be appreciated:confused:

Hi Pat, I assume the pinholes you see are from the texture of the layer you are using the chalk on. It appears that what differentiates a lot of these tools (especially the chalk and the crayon tool) is how they react to surface texture they are being used on. On a 0% roughness surface, the chalk and crayon almost seem identical.

To lessen the "pinhole" effect you can do a few things. You can decrease the roughness setting of the paper or canvas you are using. You can increase the pressure setting on the chalk tool, or try putting a dark colored layer under your chalk layer... This will darken the pinholes (or texture effect). Hope that helps:)

coops
03-02-2011, 05:47 AM
What a beauty that is Eddie, calm, warm and simply stunning:)

pat1940
03-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Thankyou Sketch, I will try these methods:D

MacPix
03-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Lovely work! Thanks for the link to Susan Sarbak.:):):)

AT-TA
03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
SO beautiful, Sketch. Interesting colors, maybe i should try chalks also. Never used them as a major tool .... so thanks for bringing this to our attention...And am looking forward to the next "brain pic" of yours. :)

waheednasir
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
this is so beautiful. very fine work.