PDA

View Full Version : Wood Texture

semd74
02-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Been workin on a technique for painting wood textures using layers and the eraser tool...this is still a work in progress...tell me what You think

Caesar
02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
You're far away and about to fully get it! Some appropriate fiber lines with the pencil could possibily help enhancing the textural illusion ...

mannafig
02-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I would agree with Cesare otherwise it is looking good:):)

screenpainter
02-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I think it looks a lot like redwood decking. I would however avoid copy and rotate of the planks. It spoils the illusion to see the repetitions of identical elements. Otherwise looking good.

Alexandra
02-25-2011, 04:10 AM
Looking great so far Steve. I agree-the pencil would be a wonderful detail tool.

Sketchism71
02-25-2011, 04:17 AM
This looks great Semd! It is bit more difficult to paint wood when it is a painting of just wood. A lot of painting has to do with an object in context with other objects around it. The viewers brain will tell them that the old barn is wood even if it is painted purple and green with very little wood texture to it. As far as an experiment in texture and an image of wood planks, you have done a fantastic job!

byroncallas
02-25-2011, 04:24 AM
Terrific movement towards your goal. All the suggestions to move closer posted here are good ones. :)

D Akey
02-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Looks cool. . . actually it looks like the wood on my book case which has way too many knots.

I would recommend that you don't make your knots so dark. The saturation levels are high which is sorta seductive while painting to keep it sort of vibrating and then numbing the optic nerve. But then when it's viewed later it can be seen as too hot.

It's a nice experiment which has you aiming the right direction. Not knowing your style, it's a little tough to comment about the level of detail, which is sort of between painterly impressions and detailed.

And as to your intended use, it's sort of an end point in itself, a study of trying to make it look like wood. So as such there is no visual hierarchy (how one leads the eye through a pic to show what's important) whereas in a painting you would know more how much detail would serve your painting and how little you could get away with. Much depends on your subject and your style.

But as a study of wood, it's nice with somewhat too much contrast. As you progress on your painting path, you will develop to where you can make marks in a more 'on purpose' way because you will know what works and what doesn't (however that shakes out for your look).

Keep pushing paint around. You created wood without question. Now it's a matter of selecting what kind and how it fits your needs. Good work!

Lima
02-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Very very nice:eek: Semd.

ScottF
02-25-2011, 10:20 AM
You´re certainly on to a useful technique here!

screenpainter
02-25-2011, 02:33 PM
you might want to have a look to Sweedie's tutorial on painting wood texture also. I think you would really like that one.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/files/artrage_tutorials_by_sweedie.pdf