PDA

View Full Version : Muir's 2011 Art (updated 28th April)

Muir Dragonne
02-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Hi! Just recently got ArtRage Pro and have started to play around with it.

Thought I would share my creations with everyone here, since you all are more experienced with the program. :)

Here is my first painting. I used a photo of my mother for reference. Usually, I sketch the subject out on paper then scan it in and colour it digitally, but since ArtRage has the very neat feature of being able to pin a ref pic to the canvas, I tried to draw using my tablet for the very first time.

byroncallas
02-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Wonderful. Terrific effort. You captured a lot of warmth, personality and soul. Welcome to the forums. Everyone will be enthused to see your paintings and here is a great environment to explore ideas with others. :):)

Muir Dragonne
02-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Thank you, Byron. I've been lurking on here for the last few days, looking through the different threads and trying to absorb as much as I can, hehe. :3

I got the demo a week ago and was indecisive about buying the full program, but a friend saw how much fun I was having playing with it and kind of nudged me to purchase it. Glad I did! :D

eighty+
02-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Welcome Muir it was good to hear that you sketched your mum looks OK
try and keep sketching if you can because there's so many way's now which you will see has mum got a touch of irish in her blood ? as for sketching in the bus all I use is pencil and A5 pad did buy a IPad for it but not possible plus was told being I'm an old doddera it would be pinched :D
But the Bus sketching has improved my drawing regards AT-Plus The Old

coops
02-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Welcome Muir and what a fine start, I can see you are going to have lots of fun with Artrage.:)

Muir Dragonne
02-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Thanks Eighty and Coops. :)

@Eighty, I love sketching. Sadly I got out of the habit of sketching on the bus and trains, but I still do gestures and detailed sketches of stock photos I find on the internet as well as photos of family and friends. I plan on trying again with my Mum as I'm not completely satisfied with this one and know I can do better. (I'm planning on giving the "best" painting to her for Mother's Day, so I have a bit of time to play about with it.)

@Coops, ArtRage is a very fun program! :D Even a friend of mine who "can't draw at all" (his words) likes playing around with it.

Muir Dragonne
02-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Here's my Oil painting that I did in the art project section - minus the gummi bear hehe. :3

Belvrog
02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Hi Muir, some fine paintings. Welcome to the forum. :)

MacPix
02-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Welcome Muir! You are going to love AR and these forums! Looks like you are off to a great start!:D

Muir Dragonne
02-21-2011, 09:01 PM
@Belvrog and MacPix - Thank you both very much for the warm welcomes. :) I'm almost ashamed to admit that I haven't touched pencil to paper since I got ArtRage. It's just so much fun to work in!

Muir Dragonne
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Today's "play time"; the dragon in my avatar, as a stuffed doll. Done using the felt marker with mossy sticker spray and circle stickers for the eyes.

mannafig
02-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Welcome Muir You have some really lovely paintings:):)

Muir Dragonne
02-22-2011, 09:49 AM
thank you, Mannafig. :) I'm just a beginner, but thanks to everyone here, I've already learned quite a bit. This is a really nice forum.

Caesar
02-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Dear Muir Dragonne, welcome in here and keep up with Your enthusiasm. I'm sure that practising with AR You'll have a lot of fun and You'll dramatically improve by practising Your talent while we will enjoy Your shared outcomes.

Muir Dragonne
02-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Thank you very much, Caesar. n_n ArtRage is so much fun, I honestly don't think I'll use any other program to colour with from now on! :)

I hope to be able to post at least one drawing a week here, if not more.

Alexandra
02-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi Muir, I like your work, especially the road. Welcome, and keep them coming please.:)

Muir Dragonne
02-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Thank you for such a nice welcome, Alexandra. :) I'm really enjoying ArtRage and these wonderful forums. I have LOTS of ideas of things to paint using ArtRage, so I don't think I'll run out of creations any time soon. ;)

coops
02-23-2011, 06:28 AM
What a little cutie, welcome Muir have fun:)

Muir Dragonne
02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
"Pussy-footing" around with the wood burning brush and air brush. :P

Muir Dragonne
02-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Bit of practice with the pencil and knife. I seem to be better at line-less drawing with ArtRage as opposed to sketching the subject out first.

Muir Dragonne
02-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Today's painting - my version of the "bleeding hearts" flower. In my world, they would be planted next to the snowbells (which, of course, leave little piles of snow on the ground), and the red "blood" would leave crimson drops in the white snow. :3

screenpainter
02-28-2011, 12:44 AM
You are off to a great start and having fun with the program as well. I enjoyed seeing your gallery thread of new paintings very much. You are
taking to this like a duck to water it seems.

eighty+
02-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Hey Muir keep your cheerful chat going its good for the forum's

as they tend to get to intense--- Yeah

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D----E/S

Muir Dragonne
02-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Thank you, gzairborne. :) I'm really enjoying playing around with the program and seeing what can be done with it. Right now, I'm just playing with one thing at a time to build up confidence and learn my way around all the features.

Quack! :D

Haha! I will do my best, ATP! :)

Muir Dragonne
02-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Another "in my world" painting. This time a tulip which has two lips inside of it. Kiss the lips and the colour of the tulip is magically transferred to your lips, leaving the tulip snow white.

byroncallas
02-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Key, keep it going. You're developing a fun thread. I particularly like your rose. :)

Muir Dragonne
03-06-2011, 07:34 AM
A very quick doodle I did last night while waiting for my mug of tea to cool down to a drinkable temperature. I used the oil brush with driest brush setting, glitter tube, and left the auto-dry off on the canvas.

When I started it, I didn't have a "goal" of what I wanted it to be, I just played. :3 To me though, it looks like a fibre optic willow tree. What do you see?

Muir Dragonne
03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Did this using Alexandra's Flower tutorial in this month's ArtRage mag.http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/muir_flowertut.png

Caesar
03-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Great versatility and commitment in these new paintings. Very good!

coops
03-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Well done Muir, these are all so very good:)

Muir Dragonne
03-08-2011, 04:12 AM
thank you, Caesar and Coops. :) I really love the magazine's tutorial links. It both reminds me of ones I've already seen as well as shows me older tutorials that I haven't seen. Not to mention gives me some much needed practice! *goes off to learn some more*

eighty+
03-08-2011, 05:12 AM
This old blind bat opened his eye's and what did he see afibre optic

Willow tree

Lima
03-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Beautiful thread. Great work. Congratulations.

Muir Dragonne
03-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Thank you dear AT+ and Lima. I'm working on another tutorial linked from the magazine, should hopefully have it finished before my son gets home from school. :3

Muir Dragonne
03-09-2011, 02:20 AM
And here we are! I used Alkratzer's tutorial http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28087 to do this. The photo used is of my late Grandmother, taken when she was quite young (looks about late 20's perhaps).

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/grandmafinal.jpg

Caesar
03-09-2011, 03:07 AM
Dear Muir, this is an excellent vintage portrait of a quite wonderful lady! Your grandma certainly appreciated from Heaven. Congrats!

coops
03-09-2011, 04:17 AM
Nice work Muir, I like the glow around your Grandmother and the lovely smile that she has:)

Muir Dragonne
03-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks, both of you. :) I uploaded the painting to my facebook profile (90% of my family are on Facebook lol) and everyone has said that it's a very accurately coloured portrayal of how she actually was when she was young, which is a relief. :)

Muir Dragonne
03-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Was playing around with the palette knife, stencils, and assorted paints. :)

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/purplefairies.jpg

Muir Dragonne
03-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Woodland waterfall. Reference photo used. This took me about 12 hours in total, using around 6 different brushes/tools. The main brush used was the oil paint brush.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/waterfall1.jpg

MacPix
03-17-2011, 08:50 PM
The woodland scene is really wonderful. All your hard work on this one really shows!:)

Muir Dragonne
03-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Thank you, Mac. :) This will be one of the paintings that I'll be selling prints of to help raise money for my local Autism Support charity. My hopes are to have 10-20 different paintings available for people to choose from, offer them for one month and all proceeds go to the charity. Got a ways to go yet though. :3

jibes
03-18-2011, 09:02 AM
I really enjoyed all your artworks and the great variety in them.

Muir Dragonne
03-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Did this yesterday. I used a rough paper canvas and watercolour tool. Reference photo was used and I "cheated" with the cat (used trace on him) as I couldn't get him to look how I wanted just using the reference. :(

Caesar
03-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Dear Muir, You're having a lot of fun and very nice and varied outcomes.
The last semi-abstract with a cat face is really fantastic!

mannafig
03-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Dear Muir you have some very lovely works here and I especially love the kitty one:):)

Muir Dragonne
03-19-2011, 03:50 AM
Thank you, Caesar and Mannafig! :)

Been painting the downstairs hallway today, so if I do something in AR this evening, it's either going to take until tomorrow to finish or is going to be a "quickie"! ;)

Muir Dragonne
03-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Ok, not much of a "quickie" after all. This took me all evening to do. I lost track of time, hehe :o Used the dry oil brush, glitter, shading pencil, moss and sea foam sticker sprays, and the air brush on this.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/waterfall2.jpg

screenpainter
03-19-2011, 11:55 AM
great to check in on this thread again and see your work again. enjoyed looking. very nice. keep painting! :)

Muir Dragonne
03-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank you, gzairborne. :) I'm glad you're enjoying my work. Going to work on a human painting next, I think.

mannafig
03-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Very nice I would say evening well spent fantastic:):)

Muir Dragonne
03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Thank you, Mannafig. :)

Here's something I did yesterday. I call it "Marble Lust" and on hindsight, should have probably erased the white lines. Would probably look better without them. :3

For those interested, I also did an anthropomorphic version of this with a wolf, dragon, and leopard. It's in my gallery, for those who want to take a look :)

**Moved the drawing to "After 9" thread, just in case it's too NSFW. :o

Caesar
03-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Deliciously textured painting the last one too.

Muir Dragonne
03-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Thank you Caesar! :)

Here is today's work. A solitary maned wolf, walking amongst the grass. This one was a challenge, because in the past, I put the reference photo as a trace image, sketched in the outline and then painted it after rendering the trace image as a paint layer. Then with the reference paint layer visible, I used it to grab colours from the photo for my painting. But this time, I tried a few suggestions from D Arkey. Instead of putting my reference photo as a trace, I put it immediately in a paint layer, sketched it in a different layer, then made a palette using a portion of the photo that had a base, shade, and highlight. Then I rendered the photo invisible and painted using that palette. It took about 3 palettes doing it that way (one for the reddish fur, one for the black feet, and one for the ears, but it worked. :)

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/fox.jpg

D Akey
03-22-2011, 11:05 AM
. . . But this time, I tried a few suggestions from D Arkey. . .

Er. . . forgive me madame. . . it's D Akey, not DArky. . .

Which puts me in mind of a song, and it goes a little somethin foxy like this:
NooooOOOOObbbody knows. . . de trubble I seen. . .

:D You're not the first to have made this mistake.

mannafig
03-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Simply lovely dear Muir:):)

D Akey
03-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Oh, Muir, by the way, I think it looks great. Hope it wasn't too many steps for ya. The cool thing about new tricks is that sometimes they find a way to simplify themselves once it becomes the "go to" way for realizing your vision. Anyway, the color and drawing look very like a fox, with personality even. Brava!!!! :):):)

Caesar
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM
... an apparently complex procedure for an amazingly good outcome, dear Muir! Dr Akey or Mr. Darkey, as You like, (he got this personalities separation after drinking an experimental potion, as You can see on everchanging his Avatar) is a real authority in visual artworks (and else) and can take You soon up to the highest artistic skies, so You were right to trust and listen to him, as I eagerly do anytime he comments!

Muir Dragonne
03-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Oops! My most humble apologies, dear D Akey. All I can say is sometimes my fingers work faster than my brain, and typos (those pesky critters) often come up. Thank you again for your ideas and suggestions. They are very useful and I shall be using them more often from here on out. :)

Thank you, Caesar and Mannafig for your wonderfully nice comments.

So D Akey is a bit like Jekyll and Hyde, is he Caesar? hehe :P

Caesar
03-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Look at his Avatar, dear Muir, isn't he? :p:p:D:D

Muir Dragonne
03-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Just did a "speed paint" tonight. :)

"I see the moon,
and the moon sees me..."

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/moon.jpg

coops
03-23-2011, 08:28 AM
And brightly shining it is too Muir, some fine paintings in this thread. Well done:)

Muir Dragonne
03-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Thank you, Katie. :)

I've picked up a commission that I need to start on, so ArtRage paintings are going to have to take a back seat for a few days. Won't stop me from getting on it though. :P hehe

mannafig
03-23-2011, 11:46 PM
A beautiful moon is was too dear Muir wonderfully painted:):)

Muir Dragonne
03-27-2011, 06:12 AM
Ended up declining the commission because of this dratted cold. Did a half-hearted attempt at a lion today though.

Muir Dragonne
04-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Back from my holiday in Wales! Was fun and relaxing. Would have loved to stay there another week, but it's also good to be back home. I couldn't play with ArtRage while I was away. :P Am hoping to have a new painting or two up soon!

D Akey
04-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Welcome back and look forward to many more. Incidentally, that lion that you painted when you had a cold, why he looks like he was in complete sympathy with how you were feeling. Hahah. Very cute. Although he did take on something of the look of a sculpture outside a library or something. . . like a security guard on break. This one looks regal and way overqualified for the job.

Muir Dragonne
04-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Thank you, D Akey! :) Yeah, he does look very regal. n_n Maybe the concrete canvas I used adds to his statuesque feel?

Been working on my Mum's picture again. I think it's finally finished. :) Will upload here later on, after I've had lunch.

Muir Dragonne
04-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Here is the finished portrait of my Mum, done for Mother's Day (the American date, since she lives over there). I used photo references for both the background and her. Went over her photo in trace mode with pencil (to sketch everything in) and airbrush splatters (to get an idea for colours), then coloured and shaded using crayon, chalk and pencil.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/momportrait.jpg

coops
04-11-2011, 07:26 AM
You did an fine job of this gracious lady and I am sure that she loved it as it was painted from the heart:)

Muir Dragonne
04-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Thank you, Coops! I haven't given it to her yet (Mother's Day in the States isn't until the 8th May this year), but I think she'll like it. Don't know if I can wait a month to give it to her though! :P

Here is the photo of her that I used as a reference, if any one is curious as to what she actually looks like :3

Muir Dragonne
04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Did this yesterday. Jaguar cub using the gloop pen and knife.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/jagrawr.jpg

Caesar
04-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Fantastic! I really love this feline and Your mum is a real beauty with wonderful hair, no matter if now with much wisdom-grey as a tint!

Muir Dragonne
04-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Thank you, dear Caesar. :) and yes, my Mum used to have pure black hair and now, it's all silver. But still pretty. She looks a lot like how I remember my great grandmother (my Mum's grandma). The family resemblance really stands out in my family. :cool:

Alexandra
04-12-2011, 10:06 AM
What a beautiful lady Muir your mother! I love your paintings as well, and the latest Jaguar is wonderful.

Muir Dragonne
04-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Thank you very much, Alexandra. :) I love jaguars and all of the big cats, but the spots are really time consuming. :p

Muir Dragonne
04-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Goats! In a meadow. Being very friendly. :P

This took about 4-5 days (off and on) of work and used lots of brushes, stickers, and such.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/goats.jpg

Muir Dragonne
04-16-2011, 01:51 AM
This is Seth, a mercenary/assassin. Seth is an anthropomorphic cat and is a character of Suncat on ArtSpots.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/suncat_seth.jpg

Caesar
04-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Here they are the goats finally! Even more lovely and amazing than expected. :eek::cool:
I also like the character whose name is the same than the ancient Egyptian obscure and evil god and that seems to be also another outcome of recent Mannafig's feline paintings! :D

Muir Dragonne
04-16-2011, 03:12 AM
Thank you, dear Caesar! :) Those goats and their home had me sweating for awhile; there was so much to do with the painting. Back to more 'simple' things for awhile, I think. ;)

As for Seth... I used to draw anthro characters (using pencils) quite often before I got ArtRage. I think I enjoy landscapes slightly more though - at least with AR. :3

Muir Dragonne
04-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Downloaded the Tutorial pdf last night and have started to work my way through it. I started, naturally, at the beginning with SomeoneSane's gradient tutorial.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/sunset.jpg

Muir Dragonne
04-17-2011, 09:54 PM
More playing around with gradients.

Used watercolour, airbrush, pen, and paint tube respectively. Also used the knife for added effects in the airbrush, pen and watercolour gradients.

Muir Dragonne
04-20-2011, 03:52 AM
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/garlicwtr.jpg
Today is Garlic Day! So get out those cloves and fix up something good to eat! Or just eat them on their own, if you like!

Garlic Trivia:

Garlic contains 17 amino acids. Amino acids are essential to nearly every bodily function.

Garlic, along with onions and chives, is a member of the lily family.

Alliumphobia is the fear of garlic.

Muir Dragonne
04-20-2011, 04:56 AM
Worked on the second tutorial in the ArtRage Tutorial Book today - Peter Pickney's mountain tutorial.

MSIE
04-20-2011, 10:52 AM
mhhhh garlic! :) looks like you have fun working through the tutorials! oh, and those sheep in the last picture are very cute :) :)

Muir Dragonne
04-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks, MSIE! I love garlic! It works so well with so many foods. Stir-fry, vegetables, any meat, bread, pasta, the list is truly endless. And it's so good for you!

Haha! Glad you like the sheepies! :D They were actually not meant to be there, but they must have decided that the grass looked greener near my mountains as opposed to where they were. But they look cute so they can stay, if they wish :P

Caesar
04-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Many additional visual flashes. With AR colors rainbow You seem to have found the treasure pot ... and also a protection from monsters and vampires of possible blue mood. ;):D:p:):)

mannafig
04-20-2011, 08:25 PM
I have missed so many great paintings dear Muir:):)

Muir Dragonne
04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys.

I worked on this one all day today, without stopping. 14 hours, 7 layers. It's a fan painting of Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith), of Doctor Who fame. Ms. Sladen passed away yesterday morning from cancer; she was 63. I love the programme, so figured that I would do something in memory of. The two pictures are (inset) Sarah Jane Smith with K-9 (during the 70's run of Doctor Who) and (main) The Doctor (David Tennant) and Sarah Jane Smith saying a fond farewell. I used photos from the BBC website as references.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/sarahjanesmith.jpg

Muir Dragonne
04-23-2011, 03:01 AM
Done in celebration of Earth Day 2011. (paint splatter at 34%)

Muir Dragonne
04-24-2011, 06:13 AM
To celebrate Cherry Cheesecake Day. :D

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/cheesecake.jpg

MSIE
04-24-2011, 08:29 AM
I've never heard of cherry cheesecake day - but I like cherries and cheesecake and yours look yummy! I like the background as well :)

Muir Dragonne
04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Thank you, MSIE. n_n I like looking up different odd days like "Draw a Bird Day" (which is April 8th), "World Day for Laboratory Animals" (tomorrow), and so forth. :P It's not only fun, but gives me ideas of what to draw/paint. ;)

Muir Dragonne
04-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Happy Easter everyone! I give you the gift of fluffy goodness! :D

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/easter2011.jpg

coops
04-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Ohhh yummy to the cheescake and happy Easter to you and the chicks.:)

Muir Dragonne
04-25-2011, 01:13 AM
Thank you, coops! :) Happy easter to you as well.

mannafig
04-25-2011, 01:31 AM
Awww they are so cute muir:):)
Happy Easter to you:):)

Muir Dragonne
04-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Thank you, Mannafig. :) Happy easter!

MSIE
04-25-2011, 06:36 AM
World Day for Laboratory Animals" (tomorrow)
:eek:

cute fluffballs :) happy easter!

Muir Dragonne
04-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Thank you, MSIE. :) Happy Easter!

Caesar
04-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Great experiments and eclectism in your recent works!

Muir Dragonne
04-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Thank you, dear Caesar!

Here is my latest "quickie". I had a dream the other night and saw this in my dream. I thought it might make a nice painting. :)

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/1/4/2/9/2/upward_tree.jpg

coops
04-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Funny that you said you dreamt this one because when I first looked at it I thought "how dreamlike is that", well done:)

mannafig
04-29-2011, 04:47 AM
Very beautiful Muir:):)

Muir Dragonne
04-29-2011, 04:57 AM
Thanks, guys. :) What's really funny about that dream is while I was dreaming, I actually thought "I should paint this." Maybe I'm spending too much time in ArtRage? :P

MSIE
04-29-2011, 06:32 AM
I wish I could remember my dreams :confused: you did a great job on this, now show it to Mister Sigmund Freud and ask him what he thinks about it :D :)