PDA

View Full Version : A sick lady painting - Copy from A. Mancini

Caesar
02-16-2011, 05:16 AM
I discovered this stunning, but really great, though mentally disturbed painter: Antonio Mancini born in Rome in the XIX century, and dead in Rome as well in the XX after being in Paris and elsewhere.
He followed academic painting studies, but his lucky illness made him capable of amazing paintings and he could use two or three styles he could emulate on the same painting such as the one of Sargent who, among other great painters, met him and became his friend and was impressed by him.
Here some information on him:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/arts/design/04manc.html

http://www.google.it/search?hl=it&source=hp&q=Antonio+mancini+paintings&btnG=Cerca+con+Google&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Here's my attempt of copy (censored version, uncensored in the After 9).

I hope You like it even it's pretty hard to get a good enough impasto effect reproduction ...

byroncallas
02-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Wow Caesar, excellent work. Your after 9 version is also primo. And thanks for the introduction to Mancini. Now I have to explore his stuff. Great find. :)

Alexandra
02-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Cesare, you are awesome.

coops
02-16-2011, 07:49 AM
This is brilliant Cesare. I love the brushstrokes, its an awesome painting:)

Caesar
02-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Thank You, dear Byron!
In my After 9 replies I also treated some technical issue I met trying to get good color tones and hues and spontaneous strokes (looking at least) with only the two custom brushes types in the oil settings.

Yes, dear Sandra, I'm especially awesome just after waking up and before I manage to comb my hair! :D Thank You!

Thank You, dear Katie! I'm appreciating the use of essential canvas as bas for both oil paintings and drawings, since it also help to harmonize colors and textures. For most brilliant colors though, some areas should perhaps be painted pure white and I didn't proceed so in here ...

MacPix
02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Thank you for the intro to Mancini! This is stunning! Like coops, I love the brushwork.:)

Caesar
02-17-2011, 04:59 AM
Thank you, dear MacPix! Sooner or later I should try my brushstrokes on thick painting too ...:p

pat1940
02-17-2011, 05:12 AM
Caesar, this is a beautiful copy, you did a fine job, Mancini would be proud;);):)

D Akey
02-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Let me guess, this is another spaghetti western. . .

But hello. . . hasn't there been a slight mix up in casting? Remake of High Noon? That's a right efficient looking sheriff though. Why the heck not. This ain't Pay-Per-View. Roll film and pass the Chianti, amigo.

AT-TA
02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Great painting after great master...love her expression and brushstrokes are very impressive also. Good for Louvre Caesar.:)

barnburner
02-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Very fine work Caesar...:):)

Caesar
02-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Thank You, dear Pat! I cannot say if Antonio Mancini, may he rest in peace, and who was simultaneously a fool and a genius would have appreciated me, since so many of the greatest American illustrators followed a similar style where Sargent was the main inspiration much better than I ever will. I can only sincerely say that I appreciated his artistic qualities and I liked his human story. Great art may come by anyone and, at least in that world, weird minds are not excluded and may often reach high rankings.

LOL! :D Dear D Akey, it's not my fault if there's a little of attention to pay to some higher sensitivities driving the Index policy in here (apparently more stringent than in Counter-Reformtion times, maybe exactly because of some Lutheran heritage :D). In fact, with that star, curiously, she may rather get sexy instead, like a past times Crazy Horse dancer.:p OK, dear amigo or amico, being a spaghetti cow-boy, let's have a glass of wine together, or rather a vodka for the lady too (since I learned that it was first imported in Russia from Italians as a medicament some centuries ago).

Actually, dear Anna, it was diffult for me to keep exactly the same style on and get her face perfectly by spontaneous and loose strokes (she looks more beautiful in the original version). Thank You!

Thank You, dear Barnburner! Don't worry, she's just a little tired out for the rush to get West and go through Rocky Mountains passes before snow storms come ...:D

semd74
02-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Awesome painting Caesar...very good work

mannafig
02-18-2011, 03:04 AM
Superb dear Cesare you really done a fine job on this fantastic work:):)

jibes
02-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Cesare. So good!!! So well done!!
Love the use of the star. Much better than a blue spot!

waheednasir
02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
this is good work Caesar. i like the treatment. and Sargent has always been my all time favorite..:).
well done mate.

Caesar
02-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Thank You, dear Semd74! Not a still life here as yet, fortunately (You would agree too in this case), she's recovering! :D

Thank You dear Amanda, although the star was borrowed by AR stickers ...:p

Dear Jibes, thank you! The star was actually a subtle irony on the fact that nudity is in some places seen as indecent in itself, no matter if it comes from a classical masterpiece and has no more sensual charge (if it does) of dressed but sexier figures. In this case, paradoxically, the star changed a sick lady into a sort of past time strip-tease starlet! :D:D

I share Your opinion on Sargent, dear Waheed, and I am always happy to discover that also in the immense goldmine of our outmostly rich national painting panorama there were often people less known, because often outside the circuits for worldwide resonance, who, like Antonio Mancini, interacted or worked in directions similar to that of some most illustrious masters.
By the way, although american, Sargent was born in Florence and started there learning art in the Accademia delle Belle Arti di Firenze (the actual name of Florence) and he most probbly had an early exposure to the art masterpieces that town has all over. Florence, Rome and Venice had each so many top class painters and great masters in art history probably unmatched by any other place on earth, including Paris. Not to talk of other Italian towns such as Naples or Milan.
The presence (and success) of many Italian painters in Paris too also in the XIX up to the XX century before the II world war, is the sign that the unique, overwhelming contribute of the Italian art patrimony to the world did not end on the XVIII century with Tiepolo and Canaletto and continued to contribute meaningfully to make our lives better, up to now ... In this 150th year from the Italian reunification as a sole country, let me be proud to be Italian, and, as usual for us, not in the mean and excluding way of so many nationalisms and patriotisms.
Thank You!

javier
02-19-2011, 07:29 AM
WOW ... Excellent, excellent work done with great skill.

silvy
02-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Mi piace molto: i colori, le pennellate, l'atmosfera....davvero strepitoso:D

Caesar
02-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Muchas gracias, dear Javier! I should probably prepare a customer brush to work more impressionistically.

Grazie, cara Silvia! Mi sa che pennellare in modo pił libero e spontaneo, quando sono in giornata, funziona abbastanza spesso!