PDA

View Full Version : A Neighborhood Coffee Shop (UPDATE: Mar 7'11. New painting of this series added :)

bopaweena
02-15-2011, 08:48 PM
A day when I don't paint people :)
Oct 3'10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feb 20'11 and Mar 07'11
Continuing with the painting at another neighborhood coffee shop. I went there to paint on site twice, same table same angle, looking out the cafe :) Maybe I should paint the cafe itself next time huh? ...coming soon :)

p.s. sorry for being away from the forums...things been reallly reallly craaazy :S

Rowena
02-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Great skills, you make it look so easy ;)

Caesar
02-15-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm in awe in front of Your ability to speedy paint anything in such a credible and synthetic way! Excellent and very interesting and quite original subject.

bopaweena
02-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Great skills, you make it look so easy ;)

Haha! Thanks Rowena! (I love how our names sounds kindof similar! :D)

bopaweena
02-15-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm in awe in front of Your ability to speedy paint anything in such a credible and synthetic way! Excellent and very interesting and quite original subject.

Thanks for your kind words, Caesar! I'm trying my best :D:D

ScottF
02-16-2011, 04:25 AM
Such a nicely done way to capture one of those views we see daily but never really see. :)

coops
02-16-2011, 07:55 AM
I am beginning to open your posts with such eagerness Bopaweena as I know that I will see a stunning painting and again this is expertly done.:)

bopaweena
02-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Such a nicely done way to capture one of those views we see daily but never really see. :)

Hahahha. Yes, painting the visible-yet-unseen brings me peace. It's nice to look at the world and realize that there's so much to be grateful for :)

bopaweena
02-16-2011, 11:29 AM
I am beginning to open your posts with such eagerness Bopaweena as I know that I will see a stunning painting and again this is expertly done.:)

Awww, thanks for saying that, coops :)

screenpainter
02-16-2011, 04:02 PM
another great painting Bo. in the tradition of Hopper. looking good. Do you have an ipad or did you use a photo reference?

byroncallas
02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Echoing everyone else, terrific work. Following up Albert, maybe you could share a little of your process. What was your approach to this painting, for example? It's a really fine piece of work. :):):)

bopaweena
02-16-2011, 04:39 PM
another great painting Bo. in the tradition of Hopper. looking good. Do you have an ipad or did you use a photo reference?

Thanks again Albert :) Some of the paintings I posted here are from iPad, some are from wacom (I wrote what I used in a bracket below each painting :) The StarWars boy one was on iPad as well as the Valentine's day card)

For this one I used wacom to paint as I was sitting at the coffee shop :)

bopaweena
02-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Echoing everyone else, terrific work. Following up Albert, maybe you could share a little of your process. What was your approach to this painting, for example? It's a really fine piece of work. :):):)

Hahah! Thank you for your kind words! :D

Well...I dont know if I'm going to be stating the obvious approach for all painters or not... but my "default" approach to speed-paint at the location or of people, I go with the combination of oil brushes (mostly normal round and dry clumbs) + knife(hard out smudge, hard out blender, variations of frosts)...block out the shapes first, follow by adding the value in the details, always keep in mind where the light sources are, as well as the temperature of the whole painting. For example, here it's pretty warm with a yellow-orange analogous color palette, I tint the wall to the left with blue because its' further from the light.

Then I use airbrush on a different layer with a different blending mode to adjust the value and the "glowing" light. hmmm. I try not too look at the canvas for too long, almost look up for a sec (or split sec) at every 3-4 brushstrokes. do it very fast. Listen to my favorite music (the tempo of the music does matter...this one I was listening to a power song :p)

I paint with more saturated colors on this one, to get the toasty feeling :)

Hmmm.....I hope I made some sense in my all over the place writing, forgive me if I didn't :s

byroncallas
02-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks Bo. Pretty amazing for a speed paint - it's impressive that the lines are so precise and the features so well observed, rendered and colored even in their loose and painterly form. It would be instructive seeing a speed paint video of a piece like this. If you offer one up I'd be all eyes.
;):)
b

MacPix
02-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Terrific painting and thank you for describing your technique! So warm and inviting, I wish I could sit and have a cup of coffee there now!:)

bopaweena
02-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks Bo. Pretty amazing for a speed paint - it's impressive that the lines are so precise and the features so well observed, rendered and colored even in their loose and painterly form. It would be instructive seeing a speed paint video of a piece like this. If you offer one up I'd be all eyes.
;):)
b

Aww, you're sweet :) Thanks for the compliments, I feel honored :)
I might be making one of those videos just for fun, one of these days :)

bopaweena
02-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Terrific painting and thank you for describing your technique! So warm and inviting, I wish I could sit and have a cup of coffee there now!:)

Me like it toasty warm! :D
I just went out for a coffeeshop sketching again today, it's in pencil tho. I'll post it here when I get to color it :)

pat1940
02-17-2011, 05:03 AM
Bo, I love your style, and have enjoyed viewing, your artwork and looking forward to seeing many more;):)

bopaweena
03-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Bo, I love your style, and have enjoyed viewing, your artwork and looking forward to seeing many more;):)

Thanks Pat :)
(sorry for a late reply....I haven't been here for awhile :(

Lima
03-08-2011, 01:53 PM
A day when I don't paint people :)
Oct 3'10

[ArtRage Studio Pro]
Beautiful:eek:, beautiful:eek:. Wow, congratulations.

Caesar
03-08-2011, 11:46 PM
A nice new artpiece. You're a sort of a more lively Ed Hopper!
Funny that the owner too, Calzone I mean, indicates (apart from trousers, although in a singular version) also a type of rolled pizza with mozzarella, tomato and ham as a fill ...:D:D:D

Sketchism71
03-09-2011, 02:23 AM
These are fantastic!:eek::D

bopaweena
03-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Beautiful:eek:, beautiful:eek:. Wow, congratulations.

A nice new artpiece. You're a sort of a more lively Ed Hopper!
Funny that the owner too, Calzone I mean, indicates (apart from trousers, although in a singular version) also a type of rolled pizza with mozzarella, tomato and ham as a fill ...:D:D:D

These are fantastic!:eek::D

@Lima Thank you for all the Surprised smilie dudes you threw at me :) ahha

@Caesar Thanks! Though, I do feel pretty Ed Hopper-ish sometimes. I've been thinking about painting something less colorful just for the sake of style-changing challenge :p

@Sketchism Thanks!! :D