PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Of A Turkish Fisherman

Levent Suberk
12-16-2006, 02:54 AM
Mudanya is a seaside town near Bursa, 30 kilometers away. I saw that fisherman at there, whom was trying to mend his fishing boat, a woolen cap on his head, worn an olive coloured and sun-faded heavy leather jacket, well portrait I thought. I always like to sketch instead of taking photos, so with my old sketchbook and a 4B pencil in my hand, I said,

-I want to draw a sketch for a painting, can you look at me?
-Ha?
-I want to make a drawing of you, do you look at me?

He looked at me like saying 'I try to earn money and that useless young man try to draw!', then he said,

-Right, but be quick !

I started to sketching, after seconds he looked around, I feel that he got bored and I quickly finished the sketch. Then, I said " Thanks, good fishing to you.", he said nothing and return to mending. While I was leaving shore, I thought about him "Poorman, how could he earn money with that little fishing boat?", I am sure that fisherman also thought about me, "Poorman, how could he earn money with that drawing book?". Both of us are right.

Made with ArtRage, on real pencil sketch. Original size is 1400 x 1200 pixels.

drzeller
12-16-2006, 03:28 AM
Wonderful portrait -- you can identify with the gentleman through his expressive face. This man could just as easily be a fisherman here in the US (I live in a town with an active fishing fleet).

Thanks for sharing.

D.

Peter Pinckney
12-16-2006, 03:52 AM
Superb painting Levent; I can see every day he has worked written in his eyes! Love it.

Best to you

Peter

ENCHANTER
12-16-2006, 04:47 AM
YOU ARE VERY GOOD AT POTRAITS!

jacktar51
12-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Yes Levent you are very good at portraits,I totally agree with Enchanter....Jack.

joules
12-16-2006, 05:15 AM
Great work Levent, I'd love to develop the skill you have with colour.

Joules

Rkngel
12-16-2006, 06:00 AM
Amazing!
You have a piece of personal history now that has a story...you will never forget that mans face. Thats what I love most about art..the ability to preserve and present an instance of your perspective for others to share in.

OldLink
12-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Really good job !

danbo
12-16-2006, 08:51 AM
i love
when do you open your gallery ?

AndyRage
12-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Stunning, stunning portrait. You've so captured the essence of the introduction you wrote for the piece.
Great work, Levent.

D Akey
12-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Levent! What an amazing story to go with that picture.

I love your comments about this guy, you begin talking about him being different from you, then bringing your brief story around to the parallel of your chosen professions, where you're connected on having to deal with that material level of making a living.

Makes me think that if you scratched the surface, you might be very much alike in many more ways that you hadn't time to explore.

The character you brought to the man, his cryptic, grudging response, it's brilliant, and it says volumes. I can definitely hear a man who looks like this behaving as you described.

You captured it in the portrait. Marvelous.

And, I am amazed that you did this painting from a fairly hasty sketch. He must have made quite an impression on you. And you saw much more than can be seen simply visually. Such depth really helps an artist, I believe.

I like how you have made him where part of his image has become part of the background (environment) of the painting. The colors sorta remind me of certain waters that do not allow for seeing very deeply into the water (unlike the blue waters of the tropics). Very appropriate for a reticent fisherman who has become formed by the sea.

Great job!

lalalime
12-16-2006, 10:17 AM
all i can say is ... WOW!

Selby
12-16-2006, 10:37 AM
fantastic Levent ..you've captured him beautifly well..keep looking at how you did his eyebrows and the fabric of his cap..so convincing i expect he'll move any moment

Selby

drakeblake
12-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Amazing portrait!
I'm loving this forum folks... :)

Adam Black
12-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Excellent expressivness in the eyes, man.

The rest of it's not so bad, either. :wink:

Levent Suberk
12-17-2006, 02:41 AM
Dear dr zeller, Peter Pinckney, Enchanter, Jacktar, Rkngel, Joules, OldLink, Danbo, Andy, D Akey, lalalime, Selby, drakeblake and Adam Black thank you very much for your kind words and comments, if you are happy so I'm happy.
Dear drakeblake wrote:"I'm loving this forum folks...", yes, I know that, I also am loving this forum folks. Dear danbo wrote:"when do you open your gallery ?", thanks danbo for this. :) Dear Peter wrote: "I can see every day he has worked written in his eyes! ", your sentence is very well, like a proverb. 8) Dear Rkngel wrote: "You have a piece of personal history now that has a story...you will never forget that mans face. Thats what I love most about art..the ability to preserve and present an instance of your perspective for others to share in.", yes, dear Rkngel our brain works like a photo ( or movie) camera. :) Dear D Akey wrote. "...you begin talking about him being different from you, then bringing your brief story around to the parallel of your chosen professions, where you're connected on having to deal with that material level of making a living.
Makes me think that if you scratched the surface, you might be very much alike in many more ways that you hadn't time to explore.
The character you brought to the man, his cryptic, grudging response, it's brilliant, and it says volumes. I can definitely hear a man who looks like this behaving as you described.", again a comment like a book excerpt, from D Akey, 8) thanks again all folks. :) :)

redDon
12-17-2006, 06:22 AM
Brilliant, and so expressive! I am green with envy!

twoheaded
12-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Ahh love the pink highlight on the nose. Great job in capturing the gloominess of his countenance. This the soul that no camera can capture.

irishrose
06-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Awesome story... thank you, Levent, for pointing me to this thread... I still see an uncanny resemblance to Sean Connery but maybe because I was in love with him for so long as James Bond. ;) Your story and painting is MUCH better! Thank you, it was an endearing read. xo

billbonds
06-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Wow. Amazing.

Sher
06-07-2009, 07:47 PM
beautiful painting, very expressive!;)

Lima
06-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Outstanding!!!

Levent Suberk
07-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Dear RedDon, Twoheaded, Irishrose, Billbonds, Sher and Orianelima thank you very much friends.

eighty+
05-20-2010, 01:30 AM
well s l its all been said I can say nothing more I thought to just send one that couldn't get away sorry no legs only a A5 pad ok

Rowena
05-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Wonderful portrait Levent... beautifully painted!

screenpainter
05-31-2010, 10:13 PM
brilliant portrait... I thought I had commented here also, but only on deviant art. I love the painter's brush strokes in this portrait. It looks like real oil blending together. Beautiful use of contrast with the dark and lights. I love those silvery accents with the almost white colors along the coat and across the cap. Genial!!! Amazing portrait Levent.

mfasy
07-21-2010, 10:24 AM
and very universal. Fisherman have so much in common the world over.

Nickillus
09-13-2010, 10:48 PM
That's a great sketch Levent. Love the painterly quality.

kenmo
08-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Great work....