PDA

View Full Version : Alternate World View

byroncallas
02-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Not so abstract, so, maybe an alternate world view?

Sort of evolved unexpectedly a little more representational than usual - more an exercise than anything else - mostly chalk, airbrush, ink pen, and pallet knife worked in all of the bump paints (oil brush, glitter, tub paint), and a sticker brush snuck in there too. Sadly, the jpg upload seems to drop out some highlights (???) :):)

barnburner
02-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Nicely done....Great colors! :)

coops
02-09-2011, 04:48 AM
This is really a cool work of art Byron, the colours work so well together:)

byroncallas
02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
bb & Katie, thanks a lot. :):):)

MacPix
02-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Brilliant use of texture and color! I especially like the colors in the planet.:)

Caesar
02-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Very beautiful an smart idea. We can also save the frame cost! :cool::D:D:D

D Akey
02-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Venus sent Mars her picture in a Day-Glo Valentine? You know that's gonna rock in a black light.

Very intense. Seeing as it's way way up there in a high key. Like looking though alien eyes. Very effective showing of dimension in that frame.

Nice one.

byroncallas
02-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Thanks everybody. Much appreciated. :)

Max: :):):)

Caesar: Yeah, free frames.

D Akey: Good smiles :):):) - you might be right about the black light. :D
I wonder if the very high key you see is an optical illusion or if your monitor is far out of calibration, or if mine is? Mine is calibrated so it shouldn't be too far off gamut. The color selections for the intense yellow-oranges to reds are selected in the middle (or so) of the gamut on the AR color pickers. It makes me worry a little of what some of the paintings are looking like if my calibration device is way out of whack (?) Contrasting the blue globe the oranges should be pretty intense, but not necessarily way-high key (???) Make me wonder. I think I need Juzzy to check. Monitor differences get me nervous about what stuff looks like. :eek::)

Alexandra
02-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Very rich Byron, love it!

pat1940
02-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Byron, this is beautiful, love the colors, did you notice that if you look at it long enough, it is hipnotic, the planet seems to pop out of the painting, very fasinating.....love it;);););):):):):):)

byroncallas
02-11-2011, 05:46 AM
Pat, Sandy: Thanks a lot.

Pat, nice catch. There are two kinds of optical illusions: one related to how the globe floats in front of or behind the "frames", the other related to the stacking of the frames. People are likely at first glance to see the painting one way or the other. If they stare a while they will likely see a visual shift if the illusions are successful. They are subtle. Sometimes they work, sometimes they crash and burn. :)

silvy
02-11-2011, 06:44 AM
This time 'they works' very well for me;)
:eek:Optical alternative world:eek:

byroncallas
02-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Silvy, thanks. Big smiles. :):):)

screenpainter
02-11-2011, 10:33 PM
really like this piece Byron. I could see it as a small minimalist piece in a gallery or maybe a large contemporary work in a gallery, but I definitely think it is gallery worthy. great art piece.

byroncallas
02-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks as ever Albert. You're the best.