PDA

View Full Version : watercolor + felt pen branch tutorial (ar 3 Studio Pro)

screenpainter
02-04-2011, 02:47 PM
here is the technique I used to make textured branches using watercolor, felt pen, chalk and a little touch of sticker spray.

screenpainter
02-04-2011, 02:50 PM
1. start by making a watercolor stroke close to the color shown
2. click on the transparency lock (the little lock) on the layer
3. now using the felt pen setting I made called gz soft pastel select a darker brown tint and go over the watercolor stroke.
4. select a lighter tint of that color and use the chalk preset called gz texture chalk and go over the branch again on the same layer (transparency lock still on)
5. select the sticker spray and select the gz a paint splatter preset
using a lighter tint and larger brush for larger spots and a darker tint
and smaller brush for the smaller dark speckles

note: you will need to place the Freckles sticker in your stickers folder if you don't already have my Freckles sticker from another thread
the watercolor preset called gz artist watercolor goes in your watercolor preset folder
the felt pen preset called gz soft pastel goes in your felt pen preset folder

the oil brush preset an ultlra thin oil brush goes in your oil brush preset folder.
the chalk preset called gz texture chalk goes in your chalk preset folder
if you like you can sketch some lines on the branch with the an ultra thin oil brush

that's it! enjoy!

screenpainter
02-04-2011, 02:53 PM
here is the Freckles sticker and a painting using the technique.

DaveRage
02-04-2011, 05:20 PM
That's a really nice look. Thanks for sharing the presets as well!

screenpainter
02-04-2011, 06:08 PM
thanks Dave. glad someone looked in. you're more than welcome.

MJSparks
02-04-2011, 06:17 PM
That's a really cool tip. I always have trouble with getting the tree textures down right.

Thanks for sharing!

fmc
02-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks for sharing this.

screenpainter
02-04-2011, 07:05 PM
you are very welcome Maegan and fmc. I saw one mistake I made. I just changed it. The actual brush I used for the lines on the branch was an oil brush preset called
an ultra thin oil brush.

I also changed the tutorial pic to reflect the right brush.

so you folks that tuned in early got a free very cool felt pen sketcher as well. :) :) :)

screenpainter
02-04-2011, 08:52 PM
try some different combination of the brushes... experiment with textures you can make.

Panaslonix
02-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Thank you very much for your brushes!!! Your experiment is very useful! :)

Please go on! ;)

suziQ54241
02-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Great tutorial, the transparency lock feature may be the best digital helper there is. And you've shown it at it's best. Beautiful work. Thank you.

screenpainter
02-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Panaslonix you are very welcome.
Susan, you are very welcome. and thank you for the comment.

byroncallas
02-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Echoing everyone else, terrific tut and brushes Albert. I'm going to give them a go. :)

screenpainter
02-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks Byron. Glad you liked this.

meeks
02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I've been doing scenery practice lately, in an effort to improve my backgrounds, and, of course, that means drawing/painting a lot of trees. Thanks for the helpful post!

barnburner
02-11-2011, 02:55 AM
I can see where this would be a big time saver.
I'm still using AR2, so this won't work for me, but it's given me an idea. Instead of doing something similar manually each time as I do now, I'm thinking I may try and see if making a layer of each step and saving to import as needed might work too?
Anyway, great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

screenpainter
02-11-2011, 06:43 PM
you are welcome Meeks.

sorry Mike, I should have put that info in the first post that it was for studio pro. I have got to remember that in the future. :o

I actually tried replicating in 2.6 and I couldn't. Even with the same felt pen settings and chalk settings and oil brush settings. I think the watercolor sort of forms a base for this technique. Other than that there were probably also changes in the tool behaviors between versions. That is inevitable with upgrades.

I would find it hard to go back and be without watercolor, transparency lock on layers, being able to make sticker brushes and being able to set presets for your tools. those are big time savers in AR 3 version and I am spoiled, but the good news is that Peter Pinckney uses ar 2.6 so amazing things are possible with that version.

barnburner
02-12-2011, 06:39 AM
you are welcome Meeks.

sorry Mike, I should have put that info in the first post that it was for studio pro. I have got to remember that in the future. :o

I actually tried replicating in 2.6 and I couldn't. Even with the same felt pen settings and chalk settings and oil brush settings. I think the watercolor sort of forms a base for this technique. Other than that there were probably also changes in the tool behaviors between versions. That is inevitable with upgrades.

I would find it hard to go back and be without watercolor, transparency lock on layers, being able to make sticker brushes and being able to set presets for your tools. those are big time savers in AR 3 version and I am spoiled, but the good news is that Peter Pinckney uses ar 2.6 so amazing things are possible with that version.

Not to worry... When I saw "watercolor" in the title, I knew right away that it was AR3. I look at those threads too, because there is often things that I can adapt to AR2. I'm thinking that I may be able to use at least the principle of your technique. Won't be the same, but it may still be a time saver. Just need the time to work on it.
I'm thinking that I can take the various steps putting each on a seperate layer and use them that way, or merge them and use them as a mask. A large mask could cover a whole tree, or several, then trim down to fit with the eraser?
Maybe not, but it's worth trying.. :):)

pat1940
02-13-2011, 04:47 AM
Thankyou so much for sharing, Gzairborne, very useful

Rowena
02-13-2011, 08:57 PM
This is great!... thanks for sharing :D

Lima
02-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Hello, how are you? Albert your tutorial is fascinating. Very well done and well thought out. The picture is fantastic:eek:. Congratulations.

screenpainter
02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Mike we have to get you into AR3.
Thanks for comments Pat and Rowena. Glad you liked.
Oriane, I am fine, stranger. Hope all is well with you.
Thanks for your comment on the picture as well!

snapboutique
05-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I love those :0)Im fairly new to art rage (only purchased my pro version last week) so i would appreciate if you could direct me on how to install them into art rage :) can they be used the same way as brushes too ? thanks

screenpainter
05-08-2011, 11:03 PM
first of course you click on the links to download them

inside artrage you can access your user content folder by going down the tool menu
tools> user content> open user content folder

inside there you will find the tool preset folders
and the stickers folder
you will drag the downloaded presets to the appropriate folders there

note: you will need to place the Freckles sticker in your stickers folder if you don't already have my Freckles sticker from another thread

the watercolor preset called gz artist watercolor goes in your watercolor preset folder
the felt pen preset called gz soft pastel goes in your felt pen preset folder

a paint splatter preset goes in your sticker spray presets folder

the oil brush preset an ultlra thin oil brush goes in your oil brush preset folder.

the chalk preset called gz texture chalk goes in your chalk preset folder
if you like you can sketch some lines on the branch with the an ultra thin oil brush

hope that helps

snapboutique
05-09-2011, 06:41 AM
thanks for the instructions :) i got them to work and they are fab :)thank you for sharing

screenpainter
05-11-2012, 04:44 AM
you are very welcome.