PDA

View Full Version : Karina

Alexandra
01-24-2011, 06:32 AM
My first attempt at a Nouveau art styled painting. The pen and I are still at odds. Hopefully by the end of the year we will be friends.
I hope that she will like it.

Photo reference and permission obtained from photographer and model.

Suha
01-24-2011, 06:53 AM
the are very enjoyable and i really like it;)

Belvrog
01-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Beautifully done Alexandra.:)

gigicharm
01-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Love it...the fin is perfect, the pastels are especially nice on the eyes.

Blessings,
GigiCharm:D

barnburner
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Being the only hillbilly in the class..... I had to google to find out what Nouveau art was... :o:D
This is very well done Sandra... Fine job! :)

Alexandra
01-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Navy Wavy, Belvrog, Gigi, and Mike, Thanks you all so much.:):):):):):)

Caesar
01-24-2011, 11:09 PM
This illustration is a really very nice one and the mermaid tail just fantastic, dear Sandra!:)
Maybe I'm too imaginative, but it seems to me that there's something autobiographic in this image too ...:p

Alexandra
01-25-2011, 03:25 AM
Hi Cesare, thanks. Autobiographic, oh gosh I wish! You are a sweetheart!:p
I didn't get permission to upload photo used for this painting though I did have permission to make painting. I will try to insert a link if anyone wants it.:)

Docsmith626
01-25-2011, 09:28 AM
You've nailed the style, Sandra. Given your determination, the pen skills will come. :D

fraser_paice
01-25-2011, 09:40 AM
I like the new art very much.

Alexandra
01-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks Doc! I will keep at it. I am a bit concerned thinking maybe it is my old wacom.

Neil, I appreciate that, thanks!

semd74
01-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Sandra...this is an excellent painting an outstanding work with the pen...Oh and tell Barnburner...He is not the only hillbilly here because I have no idea what Nouveau is either...LOL

Alexandra
01-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Hi Steve, Thanks so much!
I am a bit picky though with the lines around the arms. I am going to try some great advice from some of our wonderful artists here.;):)

Art Nouveau was a graphic creative arts and crafts movement during the period of 1894 to 1905 in Europe and America. Architecture, furniture, glass, wood working, the Tiffany lamps, many things come to my mind when defining this art style. My favorite artist of this period was Alphonse Mucha. Very richly colored and defined paintings of Bohemian styled ladies.

L Skylar Brown
01-26-2011, 05:30 AM
Please don't post, if you can't be constructive.

MJSparks
01-26-2011, 07:27 AM
I think she is most lovely and a great style for you. Especially with your repeatable flowers and things. I could see you taking the style to a new level.

- I'm sure if we keep reporting the troll, a Rage Slayer will come to kill it. Try not to let it get to you, ignore it and report it. Nothing else kills trolls.

coops
01-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Great painting Sandy and love the style:)

Alexandra
01-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks Skylar.;):)

Mags and Katie, Thank you ladies.:):)

screenpainter
01-26-2011, 12:18 PM
really well done Sandy. I like the illustrative graphic quality and love how you are approaching the Mucha. You can do it. Wouldn't that be great. I love the art nouveau posters of David Lance Goines. He has carried on the spirit of art nouveau for many years. Does the posters for Chez Panisse in Berkely, CA.
You would love his work.

http://www.goines.net/poster_art.html

I think a case could also be made for art deco which largely drew it's influences from art nouveau.

Alexandra
01-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks Albert. I've always loved this style. Dreamed of owning a craftsman styled home with stain glass windows-and some great framed artwork from this period.
Thanks for the link-wow he is fantastic. I have bookmarked the site and plan on viewing his work. I appreciate this so much!:):):):):):)

D Akey
01-27-2011, 03:23 AM
Yeah, the lines are pretty thick, but overall it's a great beginning to learning a style. I would recommend containing your design a little more as a whole and less spread out. I think graphically it would be stronger for you.

There are all kinds of artists with their own looks that are within any genre, but it looks like you have a Mucha poster thing going on which was usually portrait (vertical) orientation, with a landscape (horizontal) kind of sensibility.

Nice stuff. I hope you dip into the style a bit more to really get what made this stuff work in the past so you can make it your own. Think graphic design and you won't regret it.

Alexandra
01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
So good to see you D-Akey.:) Thanks for the input. It was more of an experiment really, unfortunately I don't know if I have what it takes to make these. Quite difficult. I had fun though, and this is what it all means to me.:)

mannafig
01-28-2011, 08:52 AM
She is lovely dear Sandy love the detail on her tail:):)

jibes
01-28-2011, 12:13 PM
You can't hide your great style. It should be a great series!!

Alexandra
01-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks so much dear Amanda!

Thanks for your encouragement Neal!