PDA

View Full Version : How to paint colour gradient???

Denisa
01-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Please, help! I would like to paint the sky at sunset and tried watercolor, airbrush, palette knife, gradient stencil but it still looks bad and patchy... :eek: The color should go from orange through pale blue to dark blue without visible transitions. Thank you for any suggestions! ;)

Someonesane
01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
If you're using ArtRage Studio, you could use the Blur Panel. Just use a tool (I recommend the Ink Pen) to make the different color lines across the screen, then open the Blur Panel (Edit > Blur Layer...) and apply however much blur is required to meet your needs. If you think it needs more then a 100px blur, then apply the blur, and open the panel again to blur it some more (shown in the image below). For more information on how to do this (along with step by step image instructions), you may want to read through this thread (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=268166#post268166) (if the link doesn't jump you down to it, you'll my post towards the middle of thread). The only difference is you won't need to use the transparency lock, since you're painting the entire canvas area.

barnburner
01-22-2011, 02:01 AM
You can use oils, and streak colors as far as they will go against the contrasting background, then use the eraser with very low pressure settings 3 to 5%, and medium to wide coverage, to blend any spots that need it. Takes a bit of work because you are barely removing anything on each stroke, but that's what makes it work.
Here's a couple I've done that way.

Denisa
01-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Thank you very much Someonesane and Barnburner for your advices. That's exactly what I was looking for!!!:cool: Now I will need a loooot of practice to achieve such a result...;)

D.

Denisa
01-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Hi, I have just tried to do the blur but found out that I have no Blur Layer feature under Edit :eek::eek::eek: And I also did not find the Lock transparency button (???), I am using ArtRage Studio... so I don't understand... :confused:

Chuckart
01-26-2011, 09:52 AM
:confused: Blur Layer should be in Edit Menu, but try Ctrl+B

For Lock transparency, move cursor over to Layer panel you should see a Circle with a checker board top right, (Transparency) hover over that and after a short while the "Lock transparecy" will appear.

Click to lock, click to unlock transparency.

Someonesane
01-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Oh... Sorry about this. I sometimes forget which features are in the normal Studio version of ArtRage. I guess the Blur panel is only offered in the Pro version.

Chuckart
01-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Oh yer, the Demo version has limitations, why that is i'm not sure as it may give those trying Artrage Studio Pro out the wrong impression due to limited functions and presets being available.

Denisa
01-28-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't have Demo version, I just don't have Pro...:( Do you know any other way to make a smooth sky in ArtRage? Otherwise I'm stuck...:(:(

~Alena~
01-29-2011, 06:15 AM
Denisa, Here such my decision
(attachments 1)
1. Probably it is your sketch.

~Alena~
01-29-2011, 06:16 AM
(attachments 2)
2. Create new small painting - 300 x 300 pix.
3. Create your beautiful gradient. I used the airbrush 100%.
4. Export painting on a hard disk.

~Alena~
01-29-2011, 06:17 AM
(attachments 3)
5. Open the sketch.
6. Menu -> File -> Import image file to layer...
Import painting-gradient on a layer.

7. Transform it. Zoom, stretch, move...
8. Duplicate gradient-layer and move it on some millimetres for more smooth gradient, (transparency 50%).

Excuse me, that I do not know English and I can not give an explanation in more details :(

Denisa
01-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Thank you Alena!! Will try ;)

Emily848
02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
I used the oil brush at default setting and the pallette knife flat/100% pressure. I attached the image from after I just laid down the color, and then also after blending with the knife.

The trick with the pallette knife is that it will pick up the color from wherever you put it down on the paper and spread/mix that color with whatever you pull it over. So, if you want to bring out a particular color, make sure to put the pallette knife down on that color and pull it over. You can even pull lighter colors over darker colors that way.

So, carefully blend with the pallette knife and when you see a nice in-between color pop up, blend to bring that color out more to give the gradation between the colors. I could have spent more time blending to get a better gradation, but this should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I uploaded the painting to my DA page for fullview: http://fav.me/d38n7mw