PDA

View Full Version : ArtRage Watercolor Class

vapsman88
01-02-2011, 02:50 PM
At Digital Art Academy an ArtRage Watercolor basics class just started today:

http://www.digitalartacademy.com/courses/artrage-brush-course-watercolor/

I am enrolled and it is very helpful for learning to handle the Watercolor presets in ArtRage 3 Pro, which is the best implementation of Digital Watercolors in my opinion.

~John

screenpainter
01-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Please let us know how successful you feel this class was at conveying the process of watercolor in artrage. I know I would be very interested in hearing your opinion and seeing your results. I'd love to take it, just to see what they offer, but I don't currently have a spare forty two dollars.

vapsman88
01-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I will give feedback as the class progresses and I plan to post paintings as I go.

~John

screenpainter
01-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks John. Very cool.

vapsman88
01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Here is my first painting in the class:

It is using a variation of the 'Heavy Bleed" for the base colors on seperate layers and blending with the "Pencil Blender" by SomeoneSane. Then dropping the layers and blending some more.

~John

screenpainter
01-06-2011, 03:34 PM
thanks for sharing the pic. your art looks great. how much did you learn from the class? Did they recommend someonesane's pencil blender? or was that your addition? who is teaching the class?

vapsman88
01-06-2011, 04:10 PM
The teacher is Karen Bonaker, and she has an extensive background in both traditional and digital painting. Also I have taken several of her courses at DAA and she is an excellent teacher.

I believe Karen has SOS's Pencil blender in her presets but i discovered it some month's ago and liked it very much. It gives a great granulated blending effect.

The first week was mostly learning the UI and experimenting with the WC Presets and creating new ones.

~John

screenpainter
01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
It's really a beauty. I love the watery look of the background and the shadows under the pears. How do you do the white highlights on the pears? Do you use white watercolor for them or just work the color up close and let the paper show through? Do you use a photo reference?

I gave the pears technique a try as well.
You and Karen might enjoy a preset I made for adding a few watercolor splats. It's based on my freckles sticker but adjusted for watercolor drops. Enjoy.

Wish I could have taken the watercolor class with you, that would have been fun.

vapsman88
01-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Nice effect on the painting.

Actually I had some pears on hand and used them partially. Also I have been studying Barbara Fox's paintings and trying to replicate that look somewhat.
http://barbarafoxwatercolors.blogspot.com/2010/10/pear-jumble-watercolor-still-life.html

As for the white highlights, as in traditional I left it unpainted, though on the background layer I had to carefully erase in the area of the highlight.

Thanks for the presets, I will try them out and let the class know about them.

~John

screenpainter
01-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Barbara Fox is amazing. Thanks for the link. Sorry didn't know yours was an original set up... so I won't plagiarize it, but it was fun to do the study and I learned some new techniques.

vapsman88
01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Barbara Fox is amazing. Thanks for the link. Sorry didn't know yours was an original set up... so I won't plagiarize it, but it was fun to do the study and I learned some new techniques.

No worries as they say in Australia. :D

vapsman88
01-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Here is a geometric forms study I did in Watercolor to understand light on forms.

~John

screenpainter
01-10-2011, 04:42 AM
those are some beautiful washes!!! you did an amazing job on them. was this the same technique? I guess you must use different layers to get such beautiful blends?

vapsman88
01-10-2011, 09:12 AM
I used quite a few layers and then dropped them.

I used Delicate on Dry with no Thinners for the base colors on separate layers. then I merged down and blended with Hard Out Smudge and Hard Wet Blender. Then I went over it with a Pencil Preset by SomeoneSane My Soft Sketcher in a slightly darker tone than the color it was bounding.

~John

screenpainter
01-11-2011, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the new technique. I will give that a try too. Your watercolor looks very convincing. We did that exact same study with geometric forms in a watercolor class I took and we did it with just the blue paint too.

Someonesane
01-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Sorry to be coming into the discussion a bit late. I somehow overlooked the thread before. You've done a great a great job with your watercolors. I'm happy to see you are exploring the possibilities for using the various presets, such as my Pencil Blender, beyond their initially intended purpose. I hope you are having fun in your classes. It's a shame classes like that weren't really around for me, when I was a student.

Here's my attempt at a pair of watercolor pears (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=14340&catid=member&imageuser=3342), using various watercolor, and palette knife presets, with some Airbrush Spatter Sticker Spray thrown in for texture (something I'd achieve by using a toothbrush to spatter the paint, in natural media).
(http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=14340&c=newimages)

Docsmith626
01-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Someonesane, did you mask the pears before you used the splatter brush? :confused:

Someonesane
01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Someonesane, did you mask the pears before you used the splatter brush? :confused:

If I were using traditional media, I would have masked the area around the pears first, then spattered the pant over them. I could've opted to do that here as well, using the selection tool or stencils, but I didn't bother to. I just created a new layer to work on, sprayed the spatter over the pears, and then erased the excess away.

Chuckart
01-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, i thought why not give thie Watercolour Pear Study a try too. So i grabbed my mouse, opened up Rage and applied some heavy bleed, wet on wet and some knife blending.

My watercolour pear study (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=14345&c=3&userid=13693) :)

runningbull
01-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Goodness, those pairs are breathtaking Someonesane. I would have sworn that was a photo of a watercolor. I'm going to hunt down your Pencil Blender.

Someonesane
01-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Goodness, those pairs are breathtaking Someonesane. I would have sworn that was a photo of a watercolor. I'm going to hunt down your Pencil Blender.

Thanks Runningbull :). You can find the attachment download for the Pencil Blender preset here (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28232).

vapsman88
01-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Sorry to be coming into the discussion a bit late. I somehow overlooked the thread before. You've done a great a great job with your watercolors. I'm happy to see you are exploring the possibilities for using the various presets, such as my Pencil Blender, beyond their initially intended purpose. I hope you are having fun in your classes. It's a shame classes like that weren't really around for me, when I was a student.

Here's my attempt at a pair of watercolor pears (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=14340&catid=member&imageuser=3342), using various watercolor, and palette knife presets, with some Airbrush Spatter Sticker Spray thrown in for texture (something I'd achieve by using a toothbrush to spatter the paint, in natural media).
(http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=14340&c=newimages)
Thanks, Someonesane.
Your Pears Painting is amazing! They are extremely lifelike.
I am playing with selections this week as in digital frisket or masking.

~John

vapsman88
01-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Here is another Watercolor study from my imagination called Wildflowers:

~John

hanzz
01-23-2011, 05:11 AM
great and inspiring works here.

vapsman88
01-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Hannz!

screenpainter
01-27-2011, 01:23 AM
That's a little beauty John.
How is the class going?
Any more techniques or tips to share? :)

Someonesane
01-27-2011, 05:01 AM
Yes, very nice :). It's amazing how simple shapes and colors can convey a scene like this. Well done.

vapsman88
01-27-2011, 08:24 AM
That's a little beauty John.
How is the class going?
Any more techniques or tips to share? :)
Well last week we were learning how to use selections as a Digital Frisket. I am pretty familiar with selections as I have used Photoshop since version 3, but ArtRage has a nice paint on selection tool which works really nice.

This week we were using paintings and images as overlays, but I am not much into that as I prefer painting somewhat traditionally without using photo manipulation techniques.

Here is another simple Landscape:

~John

Someonesane
01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Another nice job there, John. Keep it up.

Well last week we were learning how to use selections as a Digital Frisket. I am pretty familiar with selections as I have used Photoshop since version 3, but ArtRage has a nice paint on selection tool which works really nice.

Yes, the selection tool is very handy for this sort of thing. Perhaps you've already tried it, but a feature I enjoy using is the Select Layer Content. It's the same idea as using the Paint Area Selection feature, expect one may use any tool they wish. For example, let's say I want to keep parts of my canvas masked for a tree. I would start by creating a new layer, and then I could use the Glitter or Sticker Spray tool to spray out shapes for the leaves and the Oil brush for the trunk. Then I'd go to the Edit menu and click on the Select Layer Contents to mask the painted area, which would then allow me to paint that area on a separate layer with the Watercolor tool. The same could be done by creating a stencil out of the layer (as shown in the attached image).

vapsman88
01-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Someonesane,

Thanks for that on Select Layer Content. I haven't used that yet but a great idea.

~John

screenpainter
01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
that's a great little wet on wet watercolor John. How many weeks total? This must be about the fourth week?

SOS great tips also. I love that little tree too it's a beauty... really great realistic looking watercolor for being a quick demo. love to see the full version of that one. :)

Someonesane
01-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for that on Select Layer Content. I haven't used that yet but a great idea.

No problem :cool:

SOS great tips also. I love that little tree too it's a beauty... really great realistic looking watercolor for being a quick demo. love to see the full version of that one. :)

Thanks Albert,
What you see there, is pretty much it, but I posted the full scale version in my gallery for you to check out (LINK (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/3/3/4/2/watercolortreetest.jpg)).

vapsman88
01-29-2011, 05:09 PM
I also like the Tree study you created. Thanks for posting the full size image.
I especially like the reflected light on the left side.

~John

screenpainter
01-29-2011, 11:35 PM
I saw you added it in the gallery. Turned out very pretty and very watercolor G.

vapsman88
02-04-2011, 07:57 PM
I wash trying to do some experiments with Watercolor Washes by using color samples based on the Winsor and Newton Watercolor set and vary the saturation by adjusting the thinners.

~John

screenpainter
03-26-2011, 09:49 PM
beautiful washes John.

Steve B
06-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Thread resurrection!

Has anyone found some alternatives to this original Artrage class? In my stupidity, I somehow thought this class might have been offered again later on, after this January that just passed. Clearly, that's not been the case. One of my issues with Artrage has been that it's just not as much a "part of the art community" as other programs, like Corel. As such, I'm having a really difficult time finding tutorials/online classes/youtube videos/etc the way I can with other programs.

I find the watercolors easy to use on a simple level, but am wanting to achieve more complex affects-- water bleeding/pigment fanning out, some simple granulation/pigment buildup in the grain of the paper, etc. etc. I've found some really helpful posts on this forum, but only a few, as it seems more people are using Artrage for Oils versus Watercolors.

Does anyone know where I can find more educational material on Artrage for Watercolors? I just feel like I'm probably not using the program to its full potential, but there's no way to really figure out what to do, as there are no tutorials or classes or educational materials anywhere. Ugh!! Very frustrating, as I love the program.

Thanks!

shechat
07-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Steven someonesane has made a great watercolour tutorial on you tube
http://youtu.be/AsgwbHMaqjY check it out