View Full Version : My wife,...some time ago

12-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I started this one, I'm trying to get the right expression, still working on it.
Suggestions or comments are appreciated, thank you.

Merry Christmas!;)

12-28-2010, 09:00 PM
An update:

12-28-2010, 09:32 PM
This looks super great. Straight from a printed magazine. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

12-30-2010, 08:53 AM
thanks, here's the finished painting
I tried to make other changes, but I did not like and I delete all, so I decided it was finished :rolleyes:

12-31-2010, 04:52 PM
great drawing. what paper and graphite preset did you use? It's very good.
I know this may be disappointing, but there is a quality in the very first one you did that is just amazing. I like the negative space areas in that one... they are very appealing... letting the paper show through. It seems to be more aesthetic that way...and has a very classic look to me at least. which my opinion and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee, but I still like the first one best. :) And I like it very much. Well done on all three.

12-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Thank you, your opinion it's very useful to me and i like coffee ;)

for the paper I used the hatched paper Set as default.
with the charcoal (don't know if it's the right english word) I started with a size of around 30% and a pressure of 35% but in the end for the various parts such as hair I've also used 1% size and 80% of pressure or 300% size and 1/2% pressure.

To color the paper I added a single layer with filled color and then with very big and soft charcoal I painted it with more darker color to get the right grain.

What do you mean by negative spaces?
you mean the background?
I ask you because my wife told me that the background fills too much, in her opinion
personally in the first drawing, I prefer the paper's color

Thank you for your time

01-05-2011, 01:11 AM
yes I meant the areas like the background that hold no focal object. In composition it is called negative space. Even though there may be information in the negative area. Like a photograph it has a focal point and or focal points and usually some form of negative space around the objects to give the eyes rest. Most often it is called the background yes, but negative space could also occur in the foreground. :) It is only a term used to describe composition. Not a negative term. :) The English language is terrible isn't it? Sorry.
For instance, in your final drawings, since there is so much detail in the background it becomes more positive space so there is less chance for the eye to rest and therefore causes some tension because it draws away from the focal point of the figure.

You must be using the chalk tool then... rather than the pencil.
Thanks for sharing the details of your sketches. I took notes. It was very kind of you. I like the charcoal effect.

Mike Martin
02-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Wow! Really nice work!