byroncallas
12-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Revisiting some ideas. :)

Docsmith626
12-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Byron, this is amazing. BTW, welcome back. I've missed your abstracts. :D

Lima
12-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Byron, beautiful abstract. A profusion of delicate colors. :)

byroncallas
12-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Doc - thanks a lot. I hope I'm around more often and look forward to catching up on your stuff too.

Oriane, thanks as ever old friend.

screenpainter
02-04-2011, 07:50 AM
I really love this one Byron. In your main thread you said you used the ink pen as a transparent glazer. Perchance do you have a preset for the ink pen settings?

jibes
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
These are pretty cool textures and tints!

Belvrog
02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Wonderful abstract Byron. Really like its textural impression.

byroncallas
02-04-2011, 03:18 PM
I really love this one Byron. In your main thread you said you used the ink pen as a transparent glazer. Perchance do you have a preset for the ink pen settings?

Albert thanks. I was surprised to see this pop back up.

The ink pen is outstanding for a glazer. Nothing beats it. I normally keep the pressure and aspect at 100% and the smoothing and taper lengths at zero. The big variable is opacity - set at whatever you want depending on the strength of the tint you want. A minutes worth of experimenting with various opacity levels and you'll have the whole idea down pat.

Note that once you pick up the pen off the canvas you will lay a new glaze over any place you've already swiped the pen, so you have to plan how you'll lay down the glaze (just like real media). A big brush handles it well for overall glazes, and of course make the brush size as small as you like for spot glazing.

It's advisable to put the glazes on a separate upper layer, easy to fix if you don't like the results. This is particularly helpful if you apply several glazes on top of each other. I often use a new layer for each new glaze layer, simply as a precaution.

Finally, experimenting with the various blend modes while your opacity is lowered can produce some striking effects, though I personally tend to treat the tool more traditionally - staying in the normal or watercolor modes.

Finally, one reason the ink pen works great as a glazer is that it doesn't interfere with paint in the same layer. It treats all other paint as if it is dry. So if you want to work the glaze in the same layer it's THE ideal tool. It's as close to the real thing as I think you're going to find. It's a staple in my digital abstract paintings just as glazing was before I ever heard of digital art. It's about as straight a mimic from the traditional paint world as you can get. You can even work the edges of the glazes with the blenders if you like, especially the blur and wet blenders.

Give it a try. And give a yell if questions.

And Jibes and Belvrog - thanks a bunch. :)

screenpainter
02-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks, I can't wait to try this. :)

byroncallas
02-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks Albert. I enjoyed the message exchange. I hope you'll post some of your discoveries. :)

ScottF
02-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Byron, this is fascinating--and thanks for sharing your ideas about glazing. Gonna save this for a rainy day. :cool:

pat1940
02-06-2011, 05:28 AM
byron this is fantastic texture, and love the colors, great job:):);)

pat1940
02-06-2011, 05:34 AM
byron, thankyou so much for the glazing tip, cant wait to try it:D

Caesar
02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I remember this one altghough not so much to realize all the changes, but I think that, even if less colorful than most of the others, it's one of Your best in my opinion. Very materic and tangible feelings as the start for flying into evocations of mind and soul ...

byroncallas
02-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Caesar, Pat, Scott: Thanks much.

Caesar: your note is interesting. Sometimes the simpler and easier efforts seem to speak when the difficult and complex stuff somehow doesn't deliver as well. Your note gives me food for thought.