PDA

View Full Version : Moving West - Chapt 15 River Crossing

barnburner
11-24-2010, 02:43 AM
It just seemed to me, that this chapter needed two paintings to tell the story. So - it's two for one day! :)
-------------------
This is the third stream Sean and Mariska have had to ford in little more than an hour. Thankfully, the spring floods have not hit yet, so the currents have not been too bad. Sean has lead the way across, with Mariska leading the packhorse, and trying to stay behind Sean, to avoid any hidden pitfalls.

Once across, they move quickly to locate a good campsite for the night. They, and their clothing are soaked, and the water in the streams this early in the year is bitterly cold. With the approaching evening bringing cooler temperatures, it's important that they get dry and warm. With only each other to depend on, every reasonable precaution has to be taken to avoid both injury or sickness. About a half mile from the last river, Sean finds a spot that should serve them well. As he unsaddles and unpacks each horse, Mariska pickets and hobbles them for the night. Moving quickly, Sean locates and drags to the campsite, branches, small logs, rocks, and brush. He piles them up to form a wall behind the campfire so that the heat from the fire will be reflected back on Mariska and himself. As soon as they get the fire going, they change from the wet clothing to dry clothes. The wet clothing is hung close to the fire to dry out, and with the temperatures starting to drop quickly, Sean and Mariska try to get as much warmth from the fire as possible. As soon as the chill is knocked off, Mariska will cook their evening meal, while Sean checks their saddles, bridles, packs, and rifle, to make sure everything is still in working order before they start out again in the morning.
It will be a short night's rest, and an early tomorrow.
Both Sean and Mariska go to sleep with hopes of a few dry days travel in their near future.

Caesar
11-24-2010, 02:51 AM
Nice to ideally travel with them, dear BB, :) even if I had to turn my head for a while when they undressed :o:p or, presumably, started warming each other, maybe You put it on a third scene in the After 9. After all, although without formal registrations they're married now! ;):D

Valerie
11-24-2010, 03:04 AM
Nice work barnburner. Well done
Valerie

Alexandra
11-24-2010, 04:26 AM
Beautiful paintings Mike! You know, I didn't even think about the unpleasant part of being cold and wet, and then having to undress in the cold, I know that was miserable for the both of them. At least Sean made a fire. It would really be rough glowing out there in the dark with deer hunters about. Sorry, I couldn't get my smilies to work. (Joking with you my friend-it is a wonderful story)

barnburner
11-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Nice to ideally travel with them, dear BB, :) even if I had to turn my head for a while when they undressed :o:p or, presumably, started warming each other, maybe You put it on a third scene in the After 9. After all, although without formal registrations they're married now! ;):D

Yeah, an "after 9" painting/story came to mind... :D:D

Thanks Caesar - much appreciated. :)

barnburner
11-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Nice work barnburner. Well done
Valerie

Val, thank you very much. I really appreciate it. :)

barnburner
11-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Beautiful paintings Mike! You know, I didn't even think about the unpleasant part of being cold and wet, and then having to undress in the cold, I know that was miserable for the both of them. At least Sean made a fire. It would really be rough glowing out there in the dark with deer hunters about. Sorry, I couldn't get my smilies to work. (Joking with you my friend-it is a wonderful story)

LOL....:D:D Yeah, I thought about that...:D
Thank you so much Sandy. I truly appreciate it.. :)

AT-TA
11-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Barney, the pictures are awesome: your sky is heavenly, colors painterly and knowing who the people in these pictures are,one wishes them wonderfull future together."I too am watching for a light steam comming out of their tent in one of the evenings...may be in the near future? Just joking, Barney.:-) You are doing very well:-).

barnburner
11-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Barney, the pictures are awesome: your sky is heavenly, colors painterly and knowing who the people in these pictures are,one wishes them wonderfull future together."I too am watching for a light steam comming out of their tent in one of the evenings...may be in the near future? Just joking, Barney.:-) You are doing very well:-).

Well, to be honest, what I forgot to put into the story, was that as they were pulling off all their wet clothes, they got "distracted", and by the time they got back to the fire - it was out. The fire you see in the painting, was the second fire they built.......:D:D
AT, thank you so much for your very kind comments and support. Truly appreciated. :)

Jasminek
11-26-2010, 11:21 AM
It is always fascinate me how the people, especially Native Americans survive the cold. These people always have my respect for sure. Well painted and the story is keeping us looking forward to the next episode.:)

barnburner
11-26-2010, 03:20 PM
It is always fascinate me how the people, especially Native Americans survive the cold. These people always have my respect for sure. Well painted and the story is keeping us looking forward to the next episode.:)

I'm delighted that you are enjoying the story.
Thank you for your very kind comments. :)

screenpainter
11-26-2010, 08:58 PM
enjoying the story Barney and I love that purple sky. very enjoyable threads.

barnburner
11-27-2010, 01:38 AM
enjoying the story Barney and I love that purple sky. very enjoyable threads.

It's always encouraging to hear that people are enjoying the story. Thank you very much. I most certainly appreciate it. :)

coops
11-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Beautiful paintings Barnburner and the story still grabs ones interest:)

barnburner
11-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Beautiful paintings Barnburner and the story still grabs ones interest:)

Coops, thank you for the very welcome feedback.
Truly appreciated!:)

Sketchism71
11-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Great job BB on both illustration and story. The atmosphere of the scene is captured very well! Great job!

Lima
11-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Barn just wonderful story and paintings. Congratulations Sir.

barnburner
11-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Great job BB on both illustration and story. The atmosphere of the scene is captured very well! Great job!

Sketch, I thank you sir. Your kind comments are truly appreciated...:)

barnburner
11-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Barn just wonderful story and paintings. Congratulations Sir.

Thank you Oriane... I am delighted that you appreciate them. Hopefully the next one will be one you like also. :)