PDA

View Full Version : Say Thanks to the Rivers

Jasminek
11-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Hi,

In many Asian countries such as Thailand, India, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Loas, there is a festival with the purpose to say "Thanks" to the rivers, the mothers of life. It is perform every year on the 1st full moon of the 12th month BE. This year it is on the 21st of November.

People float flowers and lights on the rivers. In Thailand, it is encouraged to use degradable materials such as parts of banana trees and leaves. Being artistic, most Thais turn the bananas leaves into beautiful floats, lighted candles and praying sticks. In these little floats, most people put some money in coins for those people who found the floats later on.

For me, being concern and appreciate the Nature is a good way to make people kind.

They are done in oil, knife, water color, felt pen and sticker sprays, thanks for the creaters of the sprays.:D

My appreciations for comments and advice!:):)

Lee
11-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Dear Jasmine, What a wonderful tradition!!! and what beautiful paintings, and truely a lovely Thanksgiving thought!!! :)

Alexandra
11-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Oh I love this Jasmine, thank you for your stories and beautiful paintings.:):):):):):):):)

pat1940
11-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Jasmine, what beauty, I just love the angelic and peaceful expressions on the faces, wonderful work and love the story, seen a story on travel channel about this tradition and really enjoyed it;);):)

Jasminek
11-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks so much Lee, Alexandra and Pat, appreciated your comments.

I must give credit to a page http://www.photoshopbrushes.com/resources.htm for the stars I used, sorry I forgot.:confused:

Lima
11-22-2010, 04:58 AM
Dear Jasmine, What a wonderful tradition!!! and what beautiful paintings, and truely a lovely Thanksgiving thought!!! :)
Yes, I agree. Beautiful.

sabena
11-22-2010, 05:04 AM
Wonderful pieces i like very much:)

Jasminek
11-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Thanks Lima and Sabena.:D

Mairzie Dotes
11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
jasminek,
What lovely illustrations to accompany such a touching story. The
twinkling stars in the first painting reminds me of the unique painted
stars often found on the interior walls and ceilings of ancient Egyptian
pyramids. A moving presentation and well painted! :)

barnburner
11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Jasmine, thanks for sharing that beautiful festival with us. Many historians believe the Native American tribes had their beginnings in Asia, and the common reverance of both peoples for the land and the waters, lends weight to that idea.
Beautiful painting. :)

justjean
11-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Lovely sentiment and paintings Jasmine :)

AT-TA
11-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Love the bright colors, lovely painting, Jasmine. >-)

Caesar
11-23-2010, 11:05 PM
It's a graceful ceremony and so is Your painting, dear Jasmine!
Most of the mankind, if not all, starting from the most ancient civilizations has to say the most heartfelt thanks to some rivers, for their life, progress and prosperity rather than pollute it as we now do. Here in Rome we've two rivers, the most famous crossing the whole town, the Tiber, so full of history and legends, and the Aniene, that flows into the former one in the northern part of the town.

Valerie
11-24-2010, 03:16 AM
Jasminek this is lovely.

Jasminek
11-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks so much to you all.:)

ninab731
11-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I am actually in Thailand right now and had the opportunity to see this festival firsthand.

Jasminek
11-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for telling us that dear Nina. I haven't been to Thailand on the right month for about 40 years now, but might as well for sometimes childhood memory is better.:D