PDA

View Full Version : portrait

Joel
12-05-2006, 12:21 PM
hi, please.

this is dificult. to get the shadow write. not sure how it came about. nose is too long.

comments, ideas, please.

Joel
12-05-2006, 12:22 PM
oh--subject is meant to "be" Tom Waits.

ldifraia
12-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi Joel,
What tool did you use? I've had some success with the crayon because it blends nicely. The brush tool always leaves lots of stray marks for me.
Did you use a reference image or paint it out of your head? Having a reference works wonders for getting the right proportions, colors and values.
One more suggestion: Step back from the monitor every once in a while and try looking at your image from a fresh perspective. Some artists will use a mirror (not sure if ArtRage will let you flip the image horizontally). Mistakes caught early are easier to fix.
Keep painting.
Leo

Joel
12-06-2006, 11:08 AM
hi,

thank you. I used mainly brush and knife, but for the shadow i tried a bit of everything, except crayon. i will look at crayon in the future.

i used a reference image but often referred to imagination instead, not wanting to exactly mimic the photo. As far as proportions and colours go, I wouldn't (or simply couldn't) stay true to the photo.

ldifraia
12-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Well, for the portrait I did, (in the critique section) I started off with a freehand drawing from the photo and I'm not ashamed to admit it, when I had to make some minor adjustments to the eyes, I put the original picture up as a tracing image. With gobs of paint err.. crayon there's still plenty of room for imagination and creativity. The old masters used all sorts of crutches. why shouldnt' we. :wink:

D Akey
12-10-2006, 09:12 PM
I really like the stylization. I wasn't able to put my finger on who it was, but once you mentioned 'Tom Waites', it clicked and I thought 'Of course!'

And his style of music fits that sorta fifties lounge look you have going there. It's not like the harmless goofball Bill Murray lounge singer -- the other kind -- seedier. Feels a bit 1930-50's deco to me.

I like it a lot. You got the drawing part pretty well, but you may look to your color and/or values. Go for a good finish to it.

Very fun. Thanks for the look through your eyes.

:D :D :D

Monsumata
12-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi !

I instantly saw that it was Tom waits!
I looks like his in like a shady bar after some hard drinking.
And... to me, thatīs tom waits in a nutshell.
/Mads

Ps! see you around !

Joel
12-19-2006, 11:40 AM
hi.

thanks for your comments, guys. well appreciated.

Art Rage is fantastic! Thanks to it i can begin to learn about painting without spending the fortune that i don't have, even though some of my old-school artist friends aren't warm to the idea of pushing pixels around a screen.

screenpainter
04-27-2007, 02:09 PM
I really like your style of this. It looks great. You don't have to paint like everyone else. I think your style is just cool. Keep it.
jmho,

Gz