PDA

View Full Version : The wide pencil illusion of Peter Pinckney or artrage outer limits

screenpainter
11-07-2010, 10:38 PM
If you have tried the pencil trick...you can post your results here. If you like... or not. :D It could be fun. :cool:

for ar 2.6

1. download the canvas preset called black and smooth for ar 2.6
for ar 3.0 download the canvas preset called new black and smooth
2. place the preset in your canvas presets folder
application support>artrage 2>resources>presets>canvases (for artrage 3 of course use the artrage 3>resources folder)
3. use Peter's pencil settings for ar 2.6 Make sure precise is set to Off. set pencil size at 500 click on the size window to enter in the larger size of 500
precise off, tilt 88, softness 67 pressure 36
4. right click on the first layer and choose edit paper settings or you can access it from the upper menu
5. choose the black and smooth preset for your canvas or for ar 3.0 use the new black and smooth preset
6. use chalk set at 6% pressure and size 500 and fill in some wide bands of color on the first layer it should be smooth if you use the black and smooth canvas setting I made.

7. now duplicate the layer... right click on the first layer and choose duplicate layer and set the blend mode of the new layer to difference ( right click on the blend mode window where it currently says Normal and choose other blend modes and choose difference
8. Now with your pencil make some strokes on the second layer with Peter's pencil settings for ar2.6 users or ar 3 users can use the magic pencil preset updated to reflect new settings.
note: ar 2.6 users cannot load presets for tools >only for canvases and canvas sizes

note: ar studio does allow modification of user presets so it should work just fine to place .prs files in your pencil tool preset folder or any other tool preset folder.

screenpainter
11-07-2010, 10:43 PM
here's mine using ar 3 studio pro. also you can download the canvas setting for ar 3 studio pro called new black and smooth and the pencil tool preset called magic pencil

Emily848
11-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I don't know why yours looks so much smoother than mine, I tried to follow the instructions!

screenpainter
11-07-2010, 11:09 PM
oh I love yours Emily. They look so velvety! It's great. So you used the full version of Peter's tutorial then with the chalk and the layer mode? I should probably get a link up to the full version with the layer blending mode set to difference and chalk on a separate layer.
do you perhaps have the metallic slider setting on in your color picker?

Emily848
11-07-2010, 11:18 PM
No, I followed your instructions with the pencil and the preset you attached and 0% metallic. I don't know. I'm just a freak I guess :) I've had some gin and it's past 2am (or only 1am with daylight savings), so I'm not swearing to anything about my settings :)

screenpainter
11-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Peter Pinkney's directions are here. A more technical version but very cool results also.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31918

Peter Pinckney says: Thanks all.................OK try this..........new picture,smooth paper,black background colour,take the chalk and scribble all over in many colours,duplicate the layer,set the blend to difference (don't panic when it turns to black that's what you want),now choose the pencil,set the size to 500% (yeah that what I said)and
set pressure to 70%,precise off,tilt angle to 88% and softness to 82%..............start to draw (NOT EASY!!!)
Hit control Z as many times as you want.......I do!

screenpainter
11-07-2010, 11:26 PM
No, I followed your instructions with the pencil and the preset you attached and 0% metallic. I don't know. I'm just a freak I guess :) I've had some gin and it's past 2am (or only 1am with daylight savings), so I'm not swearing to anything about my settings :)

You may have ingested some gin, it may be two o'clock, but more likely I probably messed up the instructions and I am too tired to go over them so there are Peter's. Tomorrow is another day. We will get it sorted out, but yours is very cool anyway. oh, oh I just thought of something. go to canvas settings and make sure your roughness slider is set to zero. that should do it.

Emily848
11-07-2010, 11:43 PM
OK, I sifted through Peter's complicated technical instructions and then couldn't stop with the pencil :)

screenpainter
11-07-2010, 11:54 PM
That's great! This technique must have been made for you... it suits your shapes really well. congratulations on this last one! :eek: great stuff. It's really gorgeous.

Emily848
11-08-2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! I did another one at a larger size and am going to sleep now :)

justjean
11-08-2010, 06:36 AM
gz, great works with the tut :D

Emily, yours are also great and your like me , just go that step more LOL:D

Here's my try for this morning

Peter's tut up until pencil then used gloop and two different pencils
Peter was right it is hard drawing with these tools :D

aardbewoner
11-08-2010, 07:33 AM
4. place the preset in your presets folder accessed from within artrage program go to tools>user content>open user tool presets>pencil

I got the tools/ but not users content :(

A other way posible ? AR 2.6

screenpainter
11-08-2010, 10:49 AM
My apologies for that. I did not know that adding presets was not possible in ar 2.6. However, it is still possible to do in ar 2.5 and 2.6.
Just use the pencil settings... you don't need to have a preset for it.

directions in 2.6 are only a bit different but the pencil settings are the same.

1. access your canvas settings by right click on the first layer in 2.6 it is called paper settings instead of canvas settings. at the bottom of the pop up select edit paper settings
change the canvas to smooth and set color as black. If you use the blackboard canvas make sure you set roughness to zero and the color to 000 to make total black

2. follow Peter's process by using some chalk at 100% pressure to doodle on first layer
3. duplicate layer
4. set blend mode to difference on the new layer
5. use the pencil settings and make strokes on the new layer

there ya go!

Peter Pinckney
11-08-2010, 12:10 PM
4. place the preset in your presets folder accessed from within artrage program go to tools>user content>open user tool presets>pencil

I got the tools/ but not users content :(

A other way posible ? AR 2.6

I used only AR2.5 for the original.........here's another

aardbewoner
11-08-2010, 03:08 PM
TY gzairborne :)

Wel expiriment much as it look great.

screenpainter
11-08-2010, 03:09 PM
what would be helpful Peter is to take a screenshot of what your layer one with chalk looks like with layer 2 turned off. Or just turn layer 2 off and then export the image as a png. so we can see the chalk layer. Also how do you get chalk to be so smoothly blended in ar 2.6?

justjean
11-08-2010, 04:20 PM
following Peter's tut but using the paint tube on a black b/g with essential canvas and then duplicate and blend difference about 3 times using the knife edge instead of the pencil

Peter Pinckney
11-09-2010, 03:34 AM
what would be helpful Peter is to take a screenshot of what your layer one with chalk looks like with layer 2 turned off. Or just turn layer 2 off and then export the image as a png. so we can see the chalk layer. Also how do you get chalk to be so smoothly blended in ar 2.6?

The problem is Albert......I honestly don't remember what I do to any great extent.......still I did this with screen grabs..........I'm really so pleased to see everyone's different take on this..........love it!!

Peter Pinckney
11-09-2010, 03:38 AM
and so on...............BTW Albert all this is in AR2.5......:)

justjean
11-09-2010, 04:15 AM
Peter, beautiful shades in this :)

justjean
11-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Here's my rose painting thought it was interesting to see how it changes the colours by using the duplicate difference and then the knife and etc. :D

Alexandra
11-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Major Tom Lyrics

Standing there alone the ship is waiting.
All systems are go. are you sure?
Control is not convinced
But the computer has the evidence
No need to abort.
The countdown starts

Watching in a trance the crew is certain.
Nothing left to chance all is working.
Trying to relax up in the capsule
"Send me up a drink." jokes Major Tom.
The count goes on

4 3 2 1
Earth below us
Drifting falling floating weightless
Calling calling home

Second stage is cut.
WeŽre now in orbit
Stabilizers up runnning perfect.
Starting to collect requested data.
"What will it affect when all is done?"
Thinks Major Tom

Back at ground control
There is a problem.
"Go to rockets full"
Not responding.
"Hello Major Tom are you receiving?
Turn the thrusters on.
WeŽre standing by."
ThereŽs no reply.

4 3 2 1
Earth below us
Drifting falling floating weightless
Calling calling home

Across the stratosphere a final message
"Give my wife my love."
Then nothing more

Far beneath the ship the world is mourning.
They donŽt realize heŽs alive.
No one understands but Major Tom sees.
Now the light commands
This is my home IŽm coming home."

Earth below us
Drifting falling.
Floating weightless
Calling home
[repeat 2]
Earth Below us
Drifting falling
Floating weightless
Calling coming
home.....

Lima
11-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Congratulations to all, beautiful Peter's.....Peter, great stuff.

PAR3=Peter's
P=Peter's worlds

Peter Pinckney
11-09-2010, 11:32 AM
All that I wished for has come to pass..............the folks on these forums are TRULY artists!

I am totally amazed at your collective ability to push the boundaries and insert some of your own individual artistry into what was .... for me at least........just a way of doodling after long efforts to paint other pictures.........I really do use these doodles as a way of freeing myself from the restraints of strictly trying to paint what I see in my imagination........mostly landscapes because I'm not good at human figures.....................Jean, Albert, Oriane, your images show your willingness to expose your very own talents.........and Sandy WOW............this is one I wish I had thought of................What a great response to Albert's thread................I'm knocked out!

Alexandra
11-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks so much Peter, I really appreciate it!
These are all so lovely.

screenpainter
11-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Just a note here to say that I have edited the original post and made a few things clearer...(I hope) from the get go. I also added a canvas preset for ar 2.6 called black and smooth in the first post
and one for ar 3.0 studio pro called new black and smooth in the second post.
also there is a preset for Peter's settings called magic pencil
this works only in ar 3 studio pro. since you cannot load presets in ar2.5 or 2.6
I have not tackled ar studio yet to see if it works there. hope it works to load presets in ar studio. :confused:

screenpainter
11-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Pete, I figured out that the reason your chalk is so smooth is that you were using it at 500 size and 6% pressure.
also the blackboard setting I was using for the canvas I changed to reflect
zero size on the grain, and zero roughness and zero metallic and make sure the canvas was black by setting color to 000. New canvas preset for 2.6 is in the very first post. :)

hinket
11-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the magic pencil preset, GZ, and your instructions.
And Peter, thanks for the showing the process. I really like your painting
in that last screenshot.
Did not quite understand how you did these.
But I've sure enjoyed looking at all of the paintings so far in this thread.:):):):):):):)