PDA

View Full Version : Moving West - Chapter Nine

barnburner
11-03-2010, 10:42 AM
At Last - The Mohegan Village
If looks could kill – the occupants of the main council lodge would be ready for burial....
Back in her village for less than 24 hours, Mariska stands with clenched fists, staring lightning bolts at the council lodge. She is absolutely furious that she is not allowed to attend the meeting that is currently being held between her father, the tribal council, and Sean. Since some of the council members are women, she considers her exclusion to be particularly unfair, and someone WILL be the recipient of her verbal fury when the meeting is ended.
Inside, Sean has given them an account of their journey on their way to the village. (Well, all the details that they had a need to know anyway...) In response to their questions, he also supplied a history of why he left Ireland, and his experiences thus far since coming to this country.
Mariska's father, “Tiganche”, is not the chief of the tribe, but, he does hold the important role as the tribe's “Owl”. This is a powerful position that today's readers can relate to Don Corleone's “Consigliere”. After every member has spoken, it apparently falls on “The Owl” to summarize, and pass along the will of the council to Sean.
“The Mohegan people are very grateful for your help in bringing Mariska back to us. Since arriving in this country, you have had a very difficult time, and it is our wish that we be able
to assist you in moving to your future, better prepared to avoid future troubles.” The changing of the leaves will be upon us very soon. Being unfamiliar with our winters, you will have a

difficult time if you try to survive it by yourself. It is our wish
that you remain with us until Spring. This will give you the opportunity to learn many of the things that we can teach you, things that you will need to know when you leave us in the Spring. You will need to learn to hunt the kind of animals that live in this country, and how to use their hides and other parts to make things you will need. As you found with the snake, there are dangers to be dealt with, and they are made worse if you do not know how to deal with them.
If you trap and hunt well, the pelts and furs you gain, will help you trade for things you will need in the settlements.”
Sean thought he caught a glint in “The Owl's” eye as he said “Of course, should you find a woman among us, that you wish to marry, it is our custom that the father of the bride be given valued presents before he gives her away. We notice that you have no possessions now. You may wish to work and gain some, on the chance that you might find such a woman....”
With that, the meeting ended, and Sean stepped out the door of the lodge, and with one look at the anger on Mariska's face, knew that he was facing a much bigger danger than the snake that almost killed him....
:)

AT-TA
11-03-2010, 03:15 PM
So it looks that Sean will be pretty busy this oncomming winter, Barney, and i hope there's not another even more articulate Mariska among those Mohegans and i just hope, that he is going to have a wonderfull time among them and that he will learn quickly all there is needed to survive harsh winters on his own... thic picture is very nice, so pieceful and loving... i am looking forward to more of the story....:-)

barnburner
11-03-2010, 04:18 PM
So it looks that Sean will be pretty busy this oncomming winter, Barney, and i hope there's not another even more articulate Mariska among those Mohegans and i just hope, that he is going to have a wonderfull time among them and that he will learn quickly all there is needed to survive harsh winters on his own... thic picture is very nice, so pieceful and loving... i am looking forward to more of the story....:-)

I'm really glad you liked the picture on this one. I made at least 3 different attempts to paint Sean, and they all were horrible. As I was starting on the 4th attempt, the idea of he and Mariska's father being inside the lodge talking, and she being outside, hit me, and I think the storyline came out better as a result. :)

I think Sean is in for a difficult, but productive winter, one that will help pave the way to his new life, and hopefully, one that will include......Mariska....
AT, thanks for following my little story, and I'm delighted that you find it interesting. :)

Caesar
11-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Well, the most valuable gift You long for in life are also the ones You had to work harder to get .... Don't tell Mariska, but I concur with the council decision, so that their desire is not just an hormonally ignited straw fire (as we use to express in Italy a sentiment that doesn't last).
So, the medecine man and the rituals may wait for the moment, while Sean has the opportunity to grow necessary lessons and skills to live in the New World and the wild ...
Very good continuation and illustration again.

mannafig
11-04-2010, 07:03 AM
I love this and your story telling is great dear Barn:):)

coops
11-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Again Barnburner another great episode and painting to match. Hmmmmmm I wonder what winter will bring for Sean:)

barnburner
11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Well, the most valuable gift You long for in life are also the ones You had to work harder to get .... Don't tell Mariska, but I concur with the council decision, so that their desire is not just an hormonally ignited straw fire (as we use to express in Italy a sentiment that doesn't last).
So, the medecine man and the rituals may wait for the moment, while Sean has the opportunity to grow necessary lessons and skills to live in the New World and the wild ...
Very good continuation and illustration again.

Rest assured, we shall not inform Mariska of your agreeing with the council's decision to keep her out.
The Mohegan tribe does not normally indulge in "scalping". However, Mariska is a woman that adheres to boundaries and normalities when they make sense to her, not because she is told to. So, for the sake of your scalp, we will not tempt fate by letting her become aware of your opinion..... :D

Thanks for the kind words, and for following along.
Much appreciated. :)

barnburner
11-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I love this and your story telling is great dear Barn:):)

You are too kind dear Amanda... (he says as he shuffles his feet, and his face turns an embarrassing red...)

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.
:)

barnburner
11-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Again Barnburner another great episode and painting to match. Hmmmmmm I wonder what winter will bring for Sean:)

Winter?? Heck, I haven't yet figured out what Autumn has in store for Sean, Mariska, and the Mohegan tribe...:D
Hopefully, it will be interesting.
Coops, I truly appreciate your interest and kind comments. :)

Jasminek
11-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Sean is blessed eventhough he must prove himself. Well done Barn in both story and painting.:D

Lima
11-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Barn, it is a pleasure to follow your story:eek:. Well done.

barnburner
11-05-2010, 04:31 AM
Sean is blessed eventhough he must prove himself. Well done Barn in both story and painting.:D

I appreciate that Jasmine. Thank you very much for
following the story. :)

barnburner
11-05-2010, 04:32 AM
Barn, it is a pleasure to follow your story:eek:. Well done.

Thank you Oriane... I appreciate your interest in my
story. :)

kenmo
11-05-2010, 04:51 AM
Great stuff!!!

justjean
11-05-2010, 04:59 AM
Got my cuppa tea before I sat down to read the next instalment and ponder over the great scene :D

Now I'm wondering what is it Mariska will say to Sean and what does the winter bring :)

barnburner
11-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Great stuff!!!

Thanks Ken...
By the way... I'm using your Mable Tree Stencils in the next chapter..
Thanks again. :)

barnburner
11-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Got my cuppa tea before I sat down to read the next instalment and ponder over the great scene :D

Now I'm wondering what is it Mariska will say to Sean and what does the winter bring :)

As I recall, I don't think she said much to Sean...just lots of GLARES....:D Her real anger was with her father and the council. I'm sure she had a few words with her father in their lodge that night...
I'm not sure what winter will bring...I'm just hoping they can get thru Autumn without being kidnapped or hurt by a Senaca War Party, or washed away in a freak flood..
But, maybe not... :)
Thanks for following my story. Much appreciated.

screenpainter
11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
I love that fence along the skyline Barney. Great stuff all around.

barnburner
11-07-2010, 08:45 AM
I love that fence along the skyline Barney. Great stuff all around.

I originally had that fence closer in, and then realized it would look better further out.
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. :)

Mairzie Dotes
11-07-2010, 12:10 PM
barnburner,
Yet another impressive painting and accompanying story to wrap one's
imagination and intriguing wonderings in. Very impressive art work and
literary talent. :) Possibly Mariska is not so much angered but may
have only become weary of the inner politics of the council and cannot
understand their decisions of arbitrary exclusion. In present day lingo it
is often referred to as the G.O.P. ... the good old party! ;) :D :)

barnburner
11-08-2010, 12:38 AM
barnburner,
Yet another impressive painting and accompanying story to wrap one's
imagination and intriguing wonderings in. Very impressive art work and
literary talent. :) Possibly Mariska is not so much angered but may
have only become weary of the inner politics of the council and cannot
understand their decisions of arbitrary exclusion. In present day lingo it
is often referred to as the G.O.P. ... the good old party! ;) :D :)

LOL.....LOL.... Well said... :D

Mairze, thank you so much for the very kind comments, and for following this little story.
Very much appreciated! :)

jibes
11-08-2010, 07:17 PM
I'll have to catch up. Cool image.

barnburner
11-09-2010, 02:17 AM
I'll have to catch up. Cool image.

Glad you liked it. I've had a lot of fun with this series, and learned a lot along the way as a result of the challenged involved. :)