PDA

View Full Version : A brief walk thru on making Hearse with a Curse

kenmo
10-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Sorry but being a teacher or heaven forbide an instructor is not a strong point of mine... But I thought I would like to share how I created "Hearse with a Curse"...

http://kenmo.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v5/p371978741-5.jpg

kenmo
10-29-2010, 04:18 PM
In order to get the perspective and vanishing point correct I did a basic mockup in 3D using Wings3D... A free but very capable 3D modeler...

http://www.wings3d.com/

If my image has an one point vanishing point, I'll start from a digital sketch but most often if the perspective is complex I'll do a 3D mockup using simple primitives in Wings3D or Hexagon....

kenmo
10-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Next a screen grab of the above is brought into my 2D app. In this case, ArtRage Studio Pro. Now I add a new layer and the opacity is set very low... I then trace over the basic outline with ArtRage's felt pen tool...

kenmo
10-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Now I lay done the base color of the car and start adding details in ArtRage....

ArtRage is a very enjoyable and relaxing experience with the best user interface of any 2D app and possible any graphic app including 3D tools I own & use....

kenmo
10-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Next I open a new document in ArtRage and using the digital pencil I sketch a head for Big Frank....

kenmo
10-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Now I add a base color and then add some detail... I'm mostly using the oil brush & felt pen in ArtRage....

kenmo
10-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Now I merge Big Frank's head into the hot rod image, give him arms, a skull gear shift, steering wheel and a ghost passenger. I also create a tombstone...

Next I add a layer below the car & Big Frank layers and add a background.... I also add a few more details to the hot rod...

kenmo
10-29-2010, 04:30 PM
In a new document in ArtRage I create a bat... Not a very good bat but none the less, a bat...

The bat is duplicated numerous times & scaled and skewed.... I also paint a tree in ArtRage and add some textures from some free sites at a very low opacity...

Not enlightening but may give some of you an idea of how I work... Any comments on how I could improve my art or work flow would be most welcomed...

Cheers

Ken

kenmo
10-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Anyone else use 3D to assist in their images?

Someonesane
10-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Cool image Kenmo! Reminds me of those Monster Matchbox car toys I used to play with as a kid.

Anyone else use 3D to assist in their images?

I have used the Google SketchUp program a couple of times as a base to work off of. I have an example below where I created an office area in SketchUp and then chose an angle I liked and finished it off in ArtRage (sorry for the watermark).

Here's the desk area as seen in SketchUP:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/someonesane/desk_ex_imageready2.gif

And here it is finished:

kenmo
10-30-2010, 04:55 AM
Hey...that's pretty cool...

I've always loved and admired the hot rod art of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth and Ed "Newt" Newton that appeared in the hot rod mags when I was growing up in the 1960's....

kenmo
11-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Google Sketchup is an awesome app and it's free....

Someonesane
11-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Google Sketchup is an awesome app and it's free....

Yeah, it's a fun program to use. There are a lot of How To videos for it at Youtube, as well.