PDA

View Full Version : The Red Lantern...

L Skylar Brown
10-21-2010, 06:44 AM
...Hanging on the post by the barn. This lantern has been around so long, I don't remember where I got it. It is now solar powered, with LED lights that I put in it a few years ago (I didn't paint the cord). This is continuing that rustic theme started with the stove, etc. I've always loved this old, rusty thing, but this is the first time I have painted it. One Layer, from scratch, ref photos. Oil & AB.

barnburner
10-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Skylar, that lantern is a classic!
Splendid painting of it. :):)

L Skylar Brown
10-21-2010, 08:34 AM
"Barn-y" - Thanks! I'm lovin' your story, BTW.

coops
10-21-2010, 09:09 AM
This is great Skylar, you took something simple from a so called bygone age and made it a piece of art. I love how you have still kept it rusty and aged. Well done:)

Caesar
10-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Very beautiful! I learned to love this kind of still lives in some painting manuals, so I do really appreciate this genre.
The title made me come the association with Red Lanterns which was a famous, highly valuable chinese movie of a dozen years ago.

boyd
10-21-2010, 09:48 PM
just WOW!
I like so much!
Well Done!

Mike Severoff
10-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Very beautiful and skillfully. I really liked it.

Jasminek
10-22-2010, 04:51 AM
Nice lamp, but I associated a red lantern with "Red Light District"! What can I say, Asiatic mind!!!:confused:

L Skylar Brown
10-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks EveryBody! I'm smiling at the comments about the "Red Light" - I hadn't thought of that definition. I was thinking more along the lines of Green Lantern's Nemisis.

Lima
10-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Yeah, this also brings back good memories. I like the way you emphasized the rusty appearance. Congratulations, a beautiful painting.

L Skylar Brown
10-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Oriane - Thanks! Years ago, it was painted a solid blue. It took a lot of time for the rust to take over. I like it better now.

pat1940
10-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Skylar, This is a beautiful lantern, I love how you have put so much detail and such wonderful colors into this piece;);););):):):):)

semd74
10-23-2010, 01:22 PM
i like old lanterns and have a few myself...very good painting

jibes
10-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Excellent painting Skylar. Rich colors with an interesting background.

screenpainter
10-24-2010, 12:18 AM
The lantern is gorgeous Skylar. Beautifully painted. One suggestion I would make is to have the pole be a darker brown instead of green hues. It will compliment the color scheme better.

L Skylar Brown
10-24-2010, 05:21 AM
Pat, Semd, Jibes - Thank you so much for commenting!
GZ - Thanks, pal! There are a few reasons why the post is Green. 1- it is pressure-treated, and has a greenish tinge. 2 that greenish color is the compliment to the rust of the lantern, and actually makes it pop more. and 3 if it were brown, it would receed, pulling the rusty lantern with it; and wouldn't enhance the depth & separation from the bkg. (Everything else but the post and lantern are intentionally neutral.)

Martha Weatherall
10-24-2010, 08:02 AM
There is a movie (Chinese) "Raise The Red Lantern", but this red one is more wonderful in its rusty state of memories. Your work is beautiful.

Peter Pinckney
10-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Excellent rendition Skylar................I once had an old British Railway lantern that I bought on impulse at an auction................it was one of my prized possessions and to this day I have no idea why that was:confused::confused::confused::confused::confus ed::confused:

It got lost after my divorce and your painting brought it back!!!!!

Nice one Mate!!!

:):):):):):):):):)

franc
10-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Nostalgic.I very much like your technique and the colours.

jbyrjbyr1
10-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Wonderfully done and I echo the compliments posted here. All I can add is that this has a comfy cosy feel...a hint of Norman Rockwell but warmer. Lovely.

Lee
10-25-2010, 05:59 AM
Dear Skylar, lovely to look at! opps! got rust on my fingers,!, beautiful painting!

mannafig
10-26-2010, 01:07 AM
Stunning dear Sky really nice rust effect:):)

L Skylar Brown
10-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Martha - Thank you! I don't know the film, but will look it up.
Peter - Thanks. Isn't it amazing how much gets lost along the way. Not to get maudlin, but it is my observation that the main lesson in life is to learn to accept loss.
Franc- Thanks for commenting. I'm not sure I have a technique in AR yet.
Jbyr - Thanks so much. You've placed this in some mighty fine company.
Lee - Thanks! Watch out for the Rust!
Amanda - Thanks. I think I said this somewhere, but the old thing used to be solid Blue. I definately like the rust more.