PDA

View Full Version : The Immortal Ramses

Alexandra
10-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Inspired from my recent reading adventure in "The Mummy" By Anne Rice.
The eyes are this color because of info in book.
I needed a figure, so I used Yul, and several other references, the face from my mind as to how he would look and what I found to be attractive.
I hope you like him so far.

Alexandra
10-11-2010, 12:34 PM
A few more changes...

barnburner
10-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Sandy, you are doing a great job with this.
Going to be a heck of a painting when it's done - I'm athinkin...
This must be a heck of a book - I'll have to check the library on my next trip to town.

Alexandra
10-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Thank you Mike. I wanted to change his mouth a bit, but who knows what he will look like when I am finished-haha. Now Mike, this is a steamy book, just wanted to warn you.:eek::o:p;):D

barnburner
10-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Thank you Mike. I wanted to change his mouth a bit, but who knows what he will look like when I am finished-haha. Now Mike, this is a steamy book, just wanted to warn you.:eek::o:p;):D

Oh my goodness.. I'm just shocked! Shocked I say!!!
What time DOES that library open?????? :D
Between my years in the Marines and supervising Teamsters for 29 years, I've lived a pretty sheltered
existence..... I'll try and not and get too embarrased... :D:D

Alexandra
10-11-2010, 05:04 PM
A little more work on highlighting and shading.

Okay ... good Mike, I just didn't want you to be embarrassed.:rolleyes::D

Alexandra
10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I have the eyes on a separate layer, so I will be working more on those. They are not correctly positioned yet.:o

SCP
10-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Looking Good Sandy ;)

Alexandra
10-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Thank you Scott!:):):):):)

Alexandra
10-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I widened his nose a bit and worked on hair and shadows.

screenpainter
10-12-2010, 03:07 PM
very nice Sandy. I would, however, vote for dark eyes on this one. I wish you would tackle that hat but then you would lose your dreamboat I fear. :)

Caesar
10-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Very beautiful, dear Sandra! In Your portrait he looks so handsome! He didn't actually looked this way (and not even like Yul Brinner at all), but in Your artpiece there's a comparably outstanding charm.

So, this time You selected a real ancient Egyptian pharaoh, maybe the greatest ever, the most famous for sure: Ramses the II, the great son of the great Seti the I!
His reign was a blessing for Egypt. He was tall, strong, intelligent, charismatic and succeeded to stop the Hittites expansion towards his lands in the famous battle of Kadesh where he fought as powerfully and shining that he was really believed to be a god. The result was an even one (no one won), but he worked to the peace and married an hittite princess. His most famous and beloved wife though, was queen Nefertari, of unbelievable beauty and outstanding intelligence and talents. She died pretty young and was mourned by him and celebrated also by building the amazing temple of Abu Simbel where her statue appears too.
This temple was dis-assembled and re-assembled in a cyclopic effort, because of the construction of the Assuan dam, on a close place located 65 m. higher (same orientation) by an international mission led by Italian coming from Carrara, having the greatest expert of marble material and monuments.
We have now also his mummy telling something about his features. Very tall for that age, slender and strong complexion, an oval face with a robust jaw, a straight, long, aquiline nose. A really royal and majestic type of beauty at those times.
He lived and ruled for a quite uncommon long time (he died more than octogenarian). In his last years he had though spine, arthritis and circulation problems and teeth decay, probably due to considerable honey consumption. He died most likely for an infection caused by a dental abscess.
His mummy was also sent in Paris to be exhibited endowed with a special passport and received to the airport with all the formal honours due to a State Sovereign or Leader.
A curiosity. Due to somehow different temperature and environmental conditions, his mummy was seen raise an arm during the exhibition in Paris.

I would add a couple of information on how he looked like.
The picture of his mummy and a basanite statue of him in the Turin Ancient Egyptian Museum (among the most ancient and the second most important collection in Europe for ancient Egypt after the British Museum).
This is due to the fact that Italian archaelogicts had a great role in these kind of archaelogical research following the track of Belzoni who was a true pioneer of excavations with his early most important discoveries.

Alexandra
10-12-2010, 11:34 PM
haha Albert! (it was tempting for me to make them the true color, BUT....:Din her story very different...) Oh I wish I could say why I drew him this way, but it would ruin it for the folks going to get the book. The eyes very special-an iridescent blue because of something....and his different features because of...oh I can't say.....:D;):D

Cesare-as I stated from the very beginning-he is drawn this way because of Anne's book. I will PM you...because I am about to bust to tell why.....
It was funny, when I looked at his mummy, I thought about what I would have drawn, and of course very different indeed.
Thank you so much for your uploads and history though, I really appreciate it. I love history and especially reading about these fantastic people that will always stand out through time.:)

mannafig
10-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Looking very nice Sandra loving the hair;):):)

Alexandra
10-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Thank you so much my dear friend Amanda.
I guess I better put the finished version here too.
My type of guy.:o

steverino365
10-30-2010, 08:55 AM
A wonderful face looking back at us from the aeon!!! Great air brush work - a masterpiece!!:D:D:D:D

Alexandra
11-21-2010, 10:57 AM
My apologies! I missed your post Steve, thanks so much.
Have you read the book?

steverino365
11-21-2010, 01:50 PM
I would like to read the book now but, I think my wife would say "what did you do with my husband?", if she caught me reading it. HAHA:p:p;), Anyway this is a really great painting, I do love it!!!!!!!

Alexandra
11-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey Steve, she would most likely take it from you-haha. My Sis in law brought it over one day. I picked it up and then could not put it down. That is the way I was with Anne's Interview With A Vampire. Dark, and disturbing, some areas, and I am don't care for the blasphemy, but there are some parts that are simply fantastic. I loved her ideas in The Mummy concerning his being and life, along with his history, and many felt that she should have combined it with her vampires.