PDA

View Full Version : Cleopatra

Alexandra
10-04-2010, 03:51 AM
I just read one of Ann Rice's latest novels(or the latest for me anyway)- "The Mummy". WHEW!:o:o:o I had to go and do more reading on Cleopatra. What an interesting woman. Labeled The Queen of Kings by Cesare I believe, but I need to go back a do a bit of reading.

This is what I imagined her to look like, based upon a few internet references and help. Crayon play on cell. Knife for blending. Sphere string for wig.
Thanks for looking.:o

Jasminek
10-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Nice one. I always have empathy for this lady, it must have been very hard for her at that time. Look at us now, still women have a difficult time all over the world.

In my career in computer science, I went to school at the time that women were not encouraged to be in science. I was a configuration manager but still faced the so called "Glass Ceiling".

Many young women nowadays still are facing the same thing, actually worse when the unemployment is so high.

Cheers!:)

Alexandra
10-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi Jasmine, Yes it has always been a hard world for women indeed. This woman from what I read was quite a character. Very sure of herself, and for a woman to attract someone like Julius Cesare one of the most powerful men of one of the most powerful civilizations and have his son, then to move on to his son and have three of his children and ruling Egypt with a strict hand all at the same time. Her heart from what I read was given to Antony. No judgment from me as this was a time in another land, with so many differences. I cannot help but admire her, even though I would hate to have been in her position with Cesare and Rome the children going through what they did. I imagine the power and the wealth to be incredible. Her decisions were no doubt always perilous, but she seemed so sure of herself, I doubt she ever looked back. I wonder if history is truthful in the story of her death at the young age of thirty-seven?

SCP
10-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi Sandy,
fantastic work on her wig!I like how you have done some research before starting her portrait.
I also see more crayon work lately from you,are you enjoying the Crayon tool?;)
Keep up the good work.:):)

AT-TA
10-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Good to seek new horizons Sandy.

Alexandra
10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Dear Scott, I can't thank you enough for telling me about the crayon on cell. It is absolutely fantastic to work with. Thanks so much for your nice comment!:)

AT, Thanks so much!:)

Caesar
10-04-2010, 09:56 PM
This Cleopatra painting is becoming almost a self-portrait, considering the reference upper card ......:D Very interesting and unconconventional approach and style ... I like it. :):):):)
It seems like You're building her 3-D computerized virtual image starting from her skull, like a crimilologist ...:eek:
You're probably investigating on her presumed suicide. A cool painting for a ultra-cool case!:p:D
I would also provide You herebelow, with her last Latin lover identikit (Marcus Antonius) who was considered a real hunk at that time, but who has got an alibi for her death: he was fresh dead at that time.:D

javier
10-04-2010, 10:16 PM
WOW...I love your painting, hair with these details, congratulations.:):):):)

Alexandra
10-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Hi Cesare, from what I read this love between Marc and Cleo and their tragic death spurred the idea of Romeo and Juliet with Shakespeare. I need to study more though. I just had a brief read on the internet.
There he had heard of her death (not so) so he stabs himself and she tries to pull him to her safety and this does him in so to speak, so she ends her life with the asp. So sad...seems that they could have escaped with each other to an island some where.:eek: Hey Marc baby, got the chariot hooked and ready out back packed and all with the kids...let's go!;):D
Thank you for your kind comment-so happy that you liked it!:)

Javier, Thanks so much!:)

coops
10-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Well done Sandra, its a very good painting:)

Caesar
10-05-2010, 01:54 AM
Quite simply, dear Sandra, Marcus Antonius (Marc Anthony; another Shaspearian character:p) got softer after he met her and started living in Egypt, so he lost the biggest gamble ever whose prize was the absolute boss of all Roman domains at that time.:D
It happened substantially after he lost an epic naval battle in Azio where, as it was happening quite often in that century of divisions, Romans faced other Romans.
Therefore he couln't but honourably stab himself (like for Samurai).
In any case it was quite likely that someone would have betrayed him and offered his head to his foe not to challenge Rome's power, as it happened before with Pompeius. In fact Ptholomeus, King of Egypt, thought to please Caesar by killing the escaping Pompeius, who was then opposing Caesar, but lost a big battle against him.
Caesar couldn't accept though that a great Roman were betrayed and killed by anyone (especially not being a Roman citizen), so that King lost his Kingdom and life. The young princess Cleopatra was made therefore Queen of Egypt (and was lover of Caesar, giving him a son too, who didn't last too much neither).
Anyway the winner of Marcus Antonius, Octavianus, Augustus later on, adoptive son of Caesar, was the winner and, although he never declared him so, he became the first Roman Emperor, after centuries of Republic and with a long tradition of contempt for monarchy Romans developped after they threw out their seventh and last King more almost six centuries before ...
As You see, from history, plenty of stories were available for Shakespeare and any other theatre author ...;):)

I apologize if all this stuff was boring for You to read.:(:o

kenmo
10-05-2010, 02:20 AM
Nice painting....!!!!

barnburner
10-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Sandra, this is really good.. Funny, just a couple of weeks ago, I watched the classic movie with Liz Taylor, for the umpeenth time.
Well done!:)

Alexandra
10-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Katie, Thanks so much!

How exciting Cesare! Thank you for the history lesson! I cannot wait to dive into this time in history. It is a wonder for me on a psychological perspective, why would these men succumb to this queen? It couldn't be just lust and beauty, she must have had an incredible intellect too, or maybe I am a bit silly.:eek::cool: Maybe people will never change.:o:p :D Anyway, thanks so much again Cesare!:)

Ken, Thanks so much!

Mike, Thanks! I love those old movies. And Liz Taylor-she was such an incredibly beautiful woman and gifted actress.

Mike Severoff
10-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks, Alexandra, very interestingly

Alexandra
10-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks Mike.:)

mannafig
10-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Lovely work dear Sandra I am also a huge fan of this movie to:):)

Alexandra
10-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Thanks so much Amanda. You know I have the old version and the latest version and I love them too. The book by Ann is a different from the original story. One that you should read...but don't let the kids get a hold of it!:eek::o;)

MJSparks
10-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Really interesting stuff. She will turn out great, I'm sure. I've had quite a fascination with Egyptian history.

After reading as much as I could. I am a firm believer that she was a very brilliant woman who knew how to use her beauty in order to secure her country. Honestly, to me it seemed like she was the planner instead of the victim that some books made her out to be. She saw what was headed her way and instead of playing war with the boys she chose the other route! The power plays she made through history are so subtle, but they speak volumes.

Though, her charms didn't work completely in the way she desired and she disappeared. The next pharoah erased her from history. This was a very common practice. To erase someone was paramount to making them unable to pass on to the other realm. It would keep them in limbo forever. To have your name forgotten was the ultimate punishment.

There are only a few things that have been found pertaining to her and her son. They are finding things in the ocean around her city that pertain to her. Those findings were very recent.

There are reports that she may have killed herself via a jar of asps. I don't believe she would have done something so drastic. It was not in her character to do something like that. She was very beautiful and the asps poison is very strong, it would have left her in quite a lot of pain and would destroy that beauty she so desperately loved. She may have used poison to kill herself, but I do not believe that she stuck her hand in a vase to let them bite her.

Jono
10-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Sandy, I love it! You've made her look confident, intelligent and attractive. Iím afraid I donít know much about the history side of things, another film to watch then! :D

Alexandra
10-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi Magen, Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge as well. I did not know that this was done to this brilliant queen-erasing her from history. I still find it very strange too that she would give her life.

Hi Jono, Thanks so much. BUT-the book is nothing like or about the movies...totally different.;) Very seductive and erotic, and thought provoking at the same time. More of the authors fantasy really. I could not put it down!:eek::o Maybe one of those ladies books to put a nice little cover on.:cool::p:o:o:o:o:o

screenpainter
10-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Your detail on the hair is just amazing. You could also look at the lighting on the sculpture reference and use that same lighting on your portrait. It gets a bit dark on her right our left side. Let the light help define the form. With such wonderful work on the hair it would be worth a few extra touches.

MJSparks
10-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Definitely agree, she was very knowledgable about poisons. She would have known the results of an asp bite because she had punished people with that very same thing. She was very interested in trying to obtain eternal beauty... and toyed with prisoners to see the results of different types of death. The second goal was to secure her son's (believe it was Marc's son could be cesaer's can't remember at the moment) place as ruler. She built several things and many of them portray her and Marc(or Cesaer) as the embodiement of the gods and they would be protecting their son and his rule. She wanted to secure his place because he was not full blooded Egyptian and she feared that when she was gone, the country would not accept him.

That of course didn't turn out quite as planned either.

There is speculation that she too was not fully Egyptian, but had some Roman blood which was why she was eager to protect the realm by wiles instead of war. She knew what the Empire was capable of doing.

Until her body is recovered, there will be only speculation about that and what happened to this Queen.

You've embodied her beauty quite well. I'll put my nerd glasses away now. :o

Alexandra
10-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Thank you Albert. I have to give credit to the sphere tool developer for the wig!;) Also-I did not think of applying the same shading as the statue, that is great, I will do this.:)

Magen, Yes, from what I have read she sure was. (Alchemist) Why not just swallow the poison instead of going through the pain of the snake venom? Another mystery indeed.
Races of Egypt included the Nubians who were brilliant people who invented the obelisk. We have them all over the states such as the Washington Monument. Such a huge continent I am sure beheld many mysteries, many riches, and so many cultures that merged together to make this fantastic empire now lost in time. They had their own birth control, their own natural cures, many things that are lost now.
Thanks for your compliment. I thought she must have been incredibly beautiful and brave to roll herself up in a beautiful rug for Cesare and for him to be so taken by her beauty. I think she was only fifteen at the time!

justjean
10-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Oh dear I was so fascinated by Cleo's hair I forgot to post when I was here before LOL

Wonderful painting Sandy and I'm going to buy that book :D

Mairzie Dotes
10-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Alexandra,
Cleopatra was such a powerful figure that she is still discussed and
written about to this day. Watched an intriguing T.V. documentary
not too long ago about her life and what an impressive portrait this is.
I am also quite captivated by the dimensional quality of the painting
as well as the beautifully painted ornate headdress that adorns her.
It is as if I could reach out and actually feel the texture. She lives
again through your art. Well painted! :)

Evart
10-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Awesome painting Sandra!!!

Alexandra
10-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks so much Jean! I hope you get a chance to view my new version as well. Also I hope you can let me know what you think of the book.:)

How nice of you Mary Ann. Thank you so very much. Do you remember what doc you watched? I would love to look into it.:)

Evelyn, Thanks so much!:)

screenpainter
10-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Just saw the new one in the user gallery. That looks awesome!

Alexandra
10-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Thanks so much Albert! I am so happy that you liked it! She was fun. I made one boooooo booooo though darn it-and I can't say what it was because it would ruin it for Jean and others that haven't read the book. I cannot wait to draw Ramses. I will wait for Jean to write me and then I will upload him when the time is right, and I will make an important change in Cleo.:cool:;):) (you will understand if you have read the book);):) It will be a while anyway, as I am so busy with my exterior windows-so if you see this post Jean-no hurry dear lady!;):)

mannafig
10-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks so much Amanda. You know I have the old version and the latest version and I love them too. The book by Ann is a different from the original story. One that you should read...but don't let the kids get a hold of it!:eek::o;)

Oh I quite agree I will have to get it. I have many books that my kids are not allowed within ten feet of;):D:D

Alexandra
10-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Haha Amanda!;):D

Mairzie Dotes
10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Alexandra,
On gzairborne's mention, I also stopped in the user gallery to view
the updated "Cleopatra" and you have really accentuated the
tonal beauty of the painting. She seems as if she now reappearing
from the shadows of antiquity with the intention to never be
forgotten. A hauntingly beautiful "resurrection" of the original. :)

P.S.
At the moment can't recall the name of the documentary on Cleopatra
that I watched, do watch so many on Egyptian subject matter but it
aired on the History Channel. Hope this helps. :)

HighLonesome
10-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I assure you, Cleopatra had no troubles from sexist males. :) She was probably the second most powerful person in the world when she ruled Egypt, and she was a genius at it. She was the only thing that stood in the way of Egypt becoming a Roman province....which happened when she died. She was the last person to rule Egypt as a Pharaoh.

Egypt was a bit more enlightened back then than we are today about some things. The people loved her.

Anyways, this is a lovely picture of Cleopatra, great job. :)

Nice one. I always have empathy for this lady, it must have been very hard for her at that time. Look at us now, still women have a difficult time all over the world.

In my career in computer science, I went to school at the time that women were not encouraged to be in science. I was a configuration manager but still faced the so called "Glass Ceiling".

Many young women nowadays still are facing the same thing, actually worse when the unemployment is so high.

Cheers!:)

Caesar
10-11-2010, 12:27 AM
... but she was put on the throne of that Ellenistic kingdom by Caesar, another bloody sexist male possibly. She replaced his father in disgrace because of Pompeius betrayal, when she was pretty young, alas ...
Roman women (rich and patrician ones obviously) were actually much more free and educated than their Greek and Egyptian counterparts (in the last century B.C.) in that period and more and more subsequently.
They were allowed to divorce getting back their patrimony, have the sons and daughters with them if the husband was a bad guy, to get outside freely with a man or a maid, take part to parties with thir husbands etc... even to fight or charriot racing (a scandal for conservative Romans of the good old times).;)

Alexandra
10-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Hi Mary Ann, Thank you so much. I read more about her last night. Of course one never knows if the info is truly accurate, but I am one of the people who have been intrigued with the stories since a young girl.
Oh I do miss the history channel. At least I do have high speed now, and can check on the internet. I will look into it. So happy that you liked the updated version. BTW, have you read the book? I am sketching Ramses now. Anne wrote an interesting twist to his persona.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Highlonesome, Thank you! Yes, it does indeed seem this way-and from what I read, when she wanted something, she got it. She had no qualms with seducing anyone, and it seems when Marcus called for her-he was angry-enough to probably have her killed, she seduced him. For these powerful men to succumb to her, she must have been incredibly beautiful and at the same time incredibly self assured. Probably her only weakness was that she fell in love.:rolleyes:

Hi Cesare, Thank you very much for this information. It is hard to relate to this period, but at the same time-I believe people have regressed both as citizens and educationally. There are plenty of institutions, but no proper formal education, grace, or manner. In my country or area at least.
When I think of Cesare, I think of a man who must have been direct, confident, and charismatic, but at the same time a bit ruthless. I don't believe one could be in his position without being so. I would imagine him to be thoughtful though with whom he loved and both respectful with enemies. Oh, what a subject indeed-as I read of his adventure with the pirates!:eek::cool: