PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet Johnson - 2nd try and 3rd quick version

Caesar
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Since some competent friends in here and myself concurred on the fact that Mrs. Johnson is not that easy for a caricature and the first one didn't grasp sufficiently her features, I quickly made a second try from a different perspective and I did after a quick review and without a reference aside, lo leave my mind drive me through without the spell of her charm. This time I used crayons which fit me better due to a longer practice.
This is the result then which, although with a worse artistic flavour and a poorer finishing, seems to me to better capture a likeness with this lady who, looking at her different pictures, is very mutable indeed.

wenkat
09-29-2010, 06:58 AM
For me it looks as though something compelled you (I'm sure against your will,,,) to exaggerate....otherwise Cool!:D

ScottF
09-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Caesar, this one turned out a bit better. Both are fine, but here you seem to have captured the essence. Nicely done!

mannafig
09-29-2010, 09:50 AM
She looks good Cesare and quite different from your 1st one.
Also I like your skin tone on this one better:):)

Alexandra
09-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Always great talent Cesare!

AT-TA
09-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Do not know the lady... but it is very nicely done, Caesare.

Mairzie Dotes
09-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Dear Caesar,
Must admit that I also am not familiar with who Scarlet Johnson is
but the portrait is vibrant and quite attractive. If only I had lips
that were that sizzling! ;) :)

Caesar
09-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Dear Wenkat, I promise I won't exaggerate next time charming ladies features. Enough for the moment with such a sacrilege! :p Thank You!

Dear Scott, I probably did and could possibly do even better now that I sort of stored her in my mind modeling chip :rolleyes:, but I'd stop it here ... Thank You!

She looks healthier after a nice sea holiday, dear Amanda.:D Thank You!

What a nice compliment, dear Sandra! Thank You!

I don't know her neither, personally I mean, ....unfortunately, dear Anna,:( .... since she seems to be also a quite likeable person too.:p

... then You would have problems enjoying icecreams, dear Mair, and You would need a bigger napkin to wipe them after a meal! Anyway today's surgery makes such miracles today that making recourse to a plastic surgeon You wouldn't need to know anymore where Your safety vest is on an aircraft! ;):D Thank You!

Belvrog
09-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Very different approach. I see you still just painted the head. ;) The first one keeps more of her beauty. But this one is much more exaggerated than the first and makes it more funny. Well done mate. Great one !!:p:)

screenpainter
09-30-2010, 03:26 PM
I stretched her face wider in artrage and added some eyebrow liner, mascara and a beauty mark. :) I think this may help you with the 3rd version. :)

Bob Row
09-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Dear Caesar: I understand you are anxious to keep a fresh and impressionistic feeling of Scarlett (Johansson, not Johnson as you titled the post). Sometimes we feel like treating a touching beauty (lake she is or a landscape could be too) with a cool, objective approach, is some sort of affective violation.

But those of us that are not intuitive portrait/caricaturist (and -let me assure you- I'm not one) are in need of a careful analysis of a face structure first, to get oriented. Let me suggest you to take a look at this example:

http://paper-pencil-pixels.blogspot.com/2009/05/scarlett-johansson-caricature.html

Look at how he simply stressed the rhomboidal shape of Scarlett's face.
Then, we have to analyze the relationship between the main traits to decide to which one we'll give predominance. The lips? OK. But, perhaps what gives her unique personality is her ample nose (as opposed to the big lips+tiny nose combination of Angelina Jolie, for instance); then, the angular eyebrows underlined by gzairborne, the long, triangular chin (always inside the rhomboidal structure) and the singular tips of the lips, covered by the cheeks when she smiles.
But the key of all (I think) is to watch that the nose base to be properly aligned (or a bit under the line) with the cheekbone external tip. Structure is all; once mastered, you'll be able to stretch it in one or another direction as you like it, without losing her personality.

Forgive me if I talk too much. I don't want to sound pretentious or to give unsolicited lessons. But you choose such an unusual and difficult subject (many trained caricaturists failed at her) that I felt compelled to try to understand where the difficult resides and share my thoughts with you. It seems to me that just encouraging your efforts would not suffice in this case.
ˇForza Italia!

screenpainter
09-30-2010, 07:54 PM
wow Bob that one's awesome. I think the diamond shaped face was really a big key to the whole caricature. of course he nailed the eyes too.

Caesar
09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Thank You, dear Belvrog! :)
I think most persons cannot be easily (or at all) framed in a portrait or style only to describe them in a quite exhaustive way. This is probably one of such cases, as I can understand also by the most appreciated indications and instructions of Bob herein. Moreover I didn't use any technical support and analysis, therefore it's even more challenging to make a good enough caricature from a mental image and no analysis and the outcome, quite honestly, is far from a good one. It would require a natural talent that goes beyond mine, but I'm undisciplined and too little patient for moving more in the direction of a morphing software ...:D

Dear Albert, I thank you very much for the suggestion and You're right to see her better with this different face proportions ratio. I would anyway reassure You and all other friends that I won't go with a third attempt, notin a short time at least, which attempt, in case, would be another brand new interpretation since I prefere to get any work in here as much as possible "alla prima" (a locution more or less vaguely translated in "right at the first try")...:p;)

Dear Bob, one of the great fortunes to be part of this Forum, is to enjoy the presence of real masters and professionals artists too I can learn from also from a technical and intellectual standpoint. This is the case of You and most kind and useful answers I'm absolutely grateful for, also considering that it took some of Your time to explain me so clearly a path to sensibly improve. This is more encouraging than any unengaging friendly pat on a shoulder and formal compliment. Thank You very much, dear friend! I cannot see right now the link You indicated, but You can bet I will as soon as possible!:)

Caesar
09-30-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't have access to any site from here, anyway I looked for caricatures of this actress on the net and I found few of them and three of them only have sufficient likeness (one only quite good in each part, the third, although not so impressive of her personality in my view).
I really think she's hard to capture especially with mere technical capabilities, no matter how good. (This doesn't mean however that I'm a good caricaturist though and be seen as an excuse :D)

Caesar
09-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I also found what in my view was just a morphing excercise from a picture which did not make the best choices as for the features and parts to emphasize ...
Therefore not a good caricature or a real caricature in my view ....

Caesar
10-01-2010, 02:34 AM
It looks like I'm not able to keep promises to give up in front of an hard challenge.:D
This last one is pure memory quick drawing (not even lokked at a reference), to fix my inner image indications.
I then coloured it as quick as could by trial and error (no planning), with felt pen mostly .... I practically squeezed my brain furtherly to see what I can do without analyses and specific techniques and practises for the moment ... :o

SCP
10-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Dear Caesar,you really do push yourself to improve and not give up!Good to see.;):):)
In your 3 examples I think only the third one(She is looking front on) grabs me and I instantly know who she is.But that is just my opinion:confused:
I have enjoyed watching you doing this exercise,well done friend!:):)

Alexandra
10-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I agree, I think I like this one best Cesare. Always wonderfully talented.:)

Caesar
10-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Thnk You again, dear SCP and Sandra!

To close this effort of mine and of caricatures I found on the web of Mrs. Scarlet, I would now add the one indicated by our dear Bob Rowe from a good site, which actually is the only one I find too perfectly on target and fully convincing in any part.

Bob Row
10-02-2010, 05:31 AM
That's the one! He's a sensible artists and amicable person who moderates the forums at the www.drawingboard.org site.
in comparison, your third shot is much more in the path.
Of course, there's no need to keep the diamond shape with its strict angular points. You can round the cheekbones or any other trait you like. The secret is to master the structure and the relationship between the traits.

Now I'm excited to see your fourth one.

Caesar
10-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Thank You dear Bob. Notwithstanding Your very encouraging words on the direction I took, I think I'll take a short break and breath on Mrs. Scarlet for the moment ...;):D

screenpainter
10-09-2010, 08:01 AM
I like your third version the best. It has the strongest recognition. Immediately people would recognize her. I also thought this one you found was good as well as the Bob Rowe one with the diamond-shaped bone structure and that seems to be a key ingredient of her likeness.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48727&stc=1&d=1285835438

Caesar
10-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Thank You, dear Albert! As You can see hereabove, I found substantially three good enough caricature of her, including this one. I also found the pictures where they came from. Since it looks like that so far Mrs. J. cannot be fully "captured" by any caricature and, in no case as yet by a referenceless one, I don't feel to be anymore in an existential crisis because of my scarce success to get a really satisfactory comics-like portrait of her. Since I made my attempts without a technically fine tuned and professional approach and, progressively, even without reference (since no picture I saw gathered all her essence in one), I got at least an interesting imag on the first and some of her peculiar features on the third. Further improvements are not barred then ...:)