PDA

View Full Version : In the Shelter of a Barn and new one.

Alexandra
09-20-2010, 10:43 PM
One that I plan on working on for a while, but I wanted to try using only three tools, and painting quickly. I know there is room for improvement so any CC is welcome. Thank you.
Watercolor, pen, and knife-all AR3Pro.

I re-edited and made some changes-is this better? I wanted to keep the same tools.

Jasminek
09-21-2010, 01:50 AM
It looks very cold as intended. I would make the snow covered mountain to have less color so that it looks a tad further away...my 2 cents dear friend.:)

pat1940
09-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Sandra, agree with Jasmine, the rest of the painting is very good, you have very good texture there, good work

Rowena
09-21-2010, 02:16 AM
Very nice :) I particularly like the fine gradient you used in the sky... did you use an AR stencil for this?

Caesar
09-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Dear Sandra, I would join the advice to have the far away mountains with fainter tones and I would add to the close range some very light yellow and ochre to the enligtened parts (provided there's some sun) and or some light pink contrasting with a cooler and dark enough purple in the shadows. I would reserve the pure withe only to the clearest and closer highlights.
Moreover, the ground has to reflect some of the sky colors too (where it looks directly upward and don't get much direct light, also as a thumb-rule to unify the painting masters often suggests in tutorials.
Anyway the composition and feeling are quite there ....

Alexandra
09-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Oh thanks so much everybody. I regretted not uploading this into the WIP section. I felt it had good bones, but I wasn't happy with my mountains-and did lighten them at some point. I wanted to go back to Peter's tutorial-and I plan on doing that.
I will upload it to this section and work some more on it. I felt the mountains needed to be farther back as well. Perspective is weak. I tried to reflect colors of the sky into the snow-but didn't show well.
Thanks Jasmine, Pat, Cesare. Rowena, I used watercolor for the sky-using dark to lighter shade and mixed with fine frosted knife. Tried to paint as instructed from a tv video-only used references for barn and trees.
I will be sure to upload this one again in the WIP section as I study some more tut's.

coops
09-21-2010, 05:35 AM
Such beautiful paintings Sandra, I like them both very much. They are both so peaceful:)

Alexandra
09-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks Katie, but something weird just happened. I lost the layers with the roof shadows, and didn't notice it until now.
I asked Dave to move this one for me as I do want to make improvements.
The computer is not behaving today.:mad:
Thank you though so much for your nice comment.:):):):):)

jonwood
09-21-2010, 08:23 AM
very nice work ..reminds me summer is over !!!!!!:)

mannafig
09-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Sandra this is absolutely beautiful and will be added to my fav's:):):D

SCP
09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm sorry to read about your Computer woes,I can see you were on the right track with the 2nd image,it shows improvement.Don't let it get to you;) Keep painting Dear Sandra!:)

Alexandra
09-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi Jon, I don't know what made me paint a snow scene...guess it is the tropical weather we have had lately-96 today. It is brutal sometimes here in Georgia. Thanks so much.

Thank you so much Amanda. I really appreciate that. I have asked Dave to move this for me-as I plan on improving it as much as I can. I hope you will watch and let me know of anything you can think of. I love your techniques and would really appreciate it.

Scott, Thanks so much. Your input means so much to me. I hope you will take a peak too and please feel free to let me know. I am having some funky things going on with my computer this evening. It will still not let me use my artrage.:mad: On the second image, three layers are gone-my shadows and my sig.:eek:

Lee
09-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Dear Alesandra, just love this painting!!! it is almost monotone and ink, but very beautifully done!!! and actually very warm! don't know if the one with two mountain ranges is the second one but it is my fave, wouldn't change a thing but what do i know:o:)

SCP
09-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi,just me again.I was thinking about your Computer issues, if it's on your PC have you done the latest Windows updates?Just a thought if it's doing weird stuff.

justjean
09-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Alexandra, a wonderful painting and great mood all done with so few tools :D

waheednasir
09-21-2010, 08:32 PM
hi there Alexandra, this is a good scene and u are making it very nice. i do second caesar's observations esp, the introduction of the sky color on the ground/snow, just a hint would work. very subtle.
couple of suggestions that i hope would do good:
let not have the top edge of the mountain range at the back look so sharp, at such distance they would look diffused, that would add a feeling of depth. they will be less saturated, less contrasty with less hard edges.
little more work on the shadows would make the whole scene look better. its good if they reflect the shape they are from. the shadow of the chimney isnt going with the direction with the direction of other shadows. u might want to adjust that. and most importantly, the shadows of the trees and huts show a backlit situation, it would be great if u adjust your light (on all the objects) according to that.
i hope i didnt make it all sound so much and difficult but im sure if u can make this so wonderful u can easily do the adjustments too..:).

all the best..:).

mannafig
09-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Dear Sandra I of course will watch this progress. As for advice I would agree with Cesare and Waheed.:):)

Alexandra
09-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Waheed, Cesare, and Amanda-I am looking forward to working on these issues, thank you very very much. I think I will re-do the mountains once I restudy Peter's tut. The challenge to me will be to use only the three tools.

Jean and Lee, thank you so much. I am so happy that you like this one.:)

Dear Scott, it is my mac. I am afraid it is getting to be an old thing now. I have had the hard drive replaced once, and then I had to send them my installation CD's. When I updated the drivers and security-I could no longer use my printer and have a few issues. I went to the HP website and there were no longer any drivers for my printer and when I phoned them, they said I had to get another printer.:mad: I put the old one with my PC. I could use it on the internet if I have too.
I was concerned that everything else would have to go too-and even though I found an inexpensive printer-to have to buy another wacom would be a bit too much for me right now. I was so happy that every thing is okay today. I believe with Daves suggestions-checking the buttons-this helped. "Quill" the new baby likes to sleep on the desk. I might have to move him to a zoo soon. He is a big boy. My poor little wooden model has fang marks in the top of it's head now, and one of the legs is lying in the floor.:eek:

SCP
09-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Hey there,
Hmmm sorry I am a PC boy ,always enjoyed building my own PC's to my own specs .Ends up being cheaper and more power.:D
Hope your problems have settled down?
New baby eating your wooden model is a bit rough!:eek:
I'm glad Monty hasn't taken a liking to any of my Toys lol:p
Back to your painting ....Waheed's feedback is very good,this should help you.;)

Alexandra
09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
I am working on these very suggestions and I will do a screen shot next time also. It is looking better, but those mountains-Peter-if you read this-big respect...I now have a few bald spots.:eek:

Hi Scott, next time I need a puter for the internet, I will take your advice and download the virus protection program you suggested, and I will ask you what to get. I have a vista that I use, but I don't have anything to protect it on it yet-so I will be sending you a note on what graphics to get and what memory etc...:eek: I don't mind taking it apart and changing things.
All the problems were gone this morning. I had just downloaded the latest Firefox, and for some reason I had some issues, but they are cleared up now. Also Quill must have mashed down the enter button and also a button on the pen, because when I checked them out and lifted the skin off of the keyboard and clicked the pen it helped-so now I know I need to move these things before the big boy gets up here again. Poor cat...already getting blamed for everything and being the new boy here is hard enough. Glad that Monty is being a good boy and not eating masters toys! What a beautiful and wonderful dog he is.;):D

Alexandra
09-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Still working with mountains...not happy yet.
What do you think of this version? I made my barn smaller as to try to improve the perspective a bit.
I added the trees from the nature stamps area. I thought it needed a bit of a evergreen area back there and the trees.

Caesar
09-23-2010, 03:26 AM
Dramatic improvement this far I'd say, dear Sandra! Now I would work to finer tune the tonal values (check the range) and shapes to better defining and fuzing the objects.

Alexandra
09-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks Cesare, but can you please explain further-I don't understand and I am here to learn. So sorry-but there is not a duh smilie face I can use.:rolleyes:

SCP
09-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Looking better Sandra,I would also add to Caesar's feedback ,to check and establish the horizon line.This will make it easier to ground your objects and fix any pespective issues.
Hope this is of some help?
Drop me a line any time on anything relating to the PC,I'll do my best to help.;)

Alexandra
09-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Now I understand Scott, thanks so much to you and Cesare.;):)
Thanks also for the offer of help with the PC. I appreciate that so much.

Alexandra
09-24-2010, 01:45 AM
I worked more on mountains and the horizon line also the top of the sky I made a deeper shade, blended again with the frosty knife.

I am not really happy with the shading around the middle part of the barn. Any advice there?

Jono
09-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi Sandy (got here at last!). I can see youíll be going into xmas card production in the next few months :D Iím afraid I donít really have any advice to offer because I just donít have the knowledge or skill to do a traditional snow scene myself.

There are many things I like about this painting - the log in the frozen pond, the snow capped fence, the trees and their shadows and the sense of quietness. If I were to make one tiny suggestion, it would be to maybe try adding thin whisper of smoke from the chimney. If you did this on a new layer you could then get rid of it again, if it was a useless idea! :D

SCP
09-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi again,
Looking better all the time;)
I had some more thoughts that may help(or not lol)
Sorry about marking over your painting,but might be easier to explain.I agree around the barn is a bit odd,also the barn's perspective is a bit off which makes it harder for you.Also check your shadows,I marked them with red they are going in different directions.To make it easy mark your light source where you want it even if it is off the canvas then pin a ruler there,just as a general guide to help you.Same thing can be done with perspective setup.
I did a quick paint over of some of the dark sections on the snow and also added some of the beautiful colour you have in the sky to the snow as the snow will reflect this light.I removed some the treeline shadows as they were comming too far forward and you were losing depth.I hope this is of some help?:confused: Keep at it!;):):):)

Alexandra
09-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi Jono, Thanks so much. I think that is a fine idea, and I will be happy to try this. I will have to add some foot prints in the snow to show that someone is in there too.

Hi Scott, Thanks so much. This is a huge help. I will redo those layers. Should I make the barn smaller still? I will upload the next painting pretty soon. (hey, I like that sun too!:D)

Thanks guys for your time too!

SCP
09-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Sandy,
The size of the barn is fine.;)

Alexandra
09-24-2010, 10:16 PM
I made some changes. I hope that this one is looking better. I liked your directions with the ruler and light Scott, and I hope I did this correctly. I also changed the barn a bit. I used a barn from my watercolor book as a reference, but tweaked it a bit here and there to make it mine. I think it is a bit crooked though on the bottom right corner-that is easily corrected. I added the smoke in the chimney as Jono had suggested. I didn't add the footprints as I thought maybe I would give it a fresh snow look.:)

Caesar
09-25-2010, 02:00 AM
It seem to work pretty well now, dear Sandra!
Now probably it's just a matter of some fine tuning experiment which could slightly enhance it furtherly. For istance the shadows, although faint, should look darker near the object that casts them and then fade away in the distance, thus, also passing from the tree trunks to the relevant shadow, that area should look less neatly defined as boundary, I think .....:rolleyes:

Alexandra
09-25-2010, 03:07 AM
This should really top it off Cesare-very interesting. Something I have never noticed in a painting before.
I will work on this point along with the corner that is bothering me. The door too needs work. Thanks so much!

Alexandra
09-25-2010, 05:02 AM
Here is another try.
I am still not happy with this.:(

SCP
09-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Chin up Dear Sandra,this is looking better all the time,your efforts are paying off.;)
The shadows look more in harmony and the smaller tree looks better with it's shadow.
As Caesar outlined you can use different tones for your shadows as well.
I think some of your frustration with your barn,is a matter of perspective.Things to ask which perspective will I use 1 point,2 point 3point?
Then find your vanishing points and use the AR rulers.If your not sure what I mean check HERE (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5836)
I can see that's why your having trouble with the Barn door.Just drop me an e-mail if you need more info.;)

Glad you liked my smiley sun. :D

Alexandra
09-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks so much Scott, this is so kind of you! And you think there is improvement-well this makes my day! I will keep trying with this one and I will check out your link as well. Again-your time and teaching-is very much appreciated dear friend.:):):):):):):)

MJSparks
09-25-2010, 06:53 PM
Looks really nice. Very lovely soft and frosty image. Excellently done thus far and everyone is helping so much that I know it will turn out fabulous. We have a really great group of talented folks. Including you! ;)

I dare say there's not much I could add to help here. :(

I would agree with SCP that your barn is a matter of perspective and I am sure he will be able to help you out with that. I was actually in the process of going back to study the 1, 2, and 3 point perspective lessons that I could find. Always good to refresh the ol brain.

Once that little place there is done...

If I had anything to suggest, it would be to add a bit more to the snow like you have at the corner of the building. I would only work on that after you have the building the way you want it because that will change how the snow reacts. I believe Ceasar was headed in a similar path as myself, when he talked of more detailed shadows using the tones in the lovely sky. Even though the snow has settled, the trees and other various objects in the area would most likely have some drifting occur, which would cause some different types of shading and light in the snow. Based on where your lightsource is of course.

Right now it's still very flat for a mountainous/hilly kind of area, it seems off. (At least to me)

I just randomly pulled these off the mighty web to help illustrate what I mean for the snow. See how the snow settles and makes very slight differences in shadows? Also I am adding another one that has mountains in the background at a distance. I recall you mentioning that you weren't too happy with them.

Hopefully I'm being some help and not just causing frustration. :o

Keep at it. This is lovely and is already one of my favorites from the Museum of Sandy Art. ;)

mannafig
09-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Dear Sandra this is looking great Perhaps a bit darker shadow in the corner with your door on might help.
Overall this is looking brilliant.:):)

screenpainter
09-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Looking very good Sandy. It just keeps getting better and better. One thing I will mention is that roots on trees are very rarely visible and they don't point downward... that usually is a preconception we have in our minds. :) Usually in a scene like this they would surely be covered with snow. Also like Waheed mentioned think of your light source when shading cubes and other things. You took on a huge project to do this without a reference so that makes it doubly hard. Great job though and especially for hanging in for the long haul.

Alexandra
09-28-2010, 01:46 AM
Hey everybody, this is what I have done so far...but I am not finished, and did not get to this section to read your helpful comments before I did it, so it is not finished yet....oh dear-as you have noticed this is not my forte.
What really appeals to me in landscaping in more of an impressionistic feel-but I have so much more studying to do and practice. I really need books to have beside me as I try to apply these things.
Magen-I love these photographs-soooo beautiful and your comments will be so much help and encouragement to me. We don't get much snow here, but I remember so much as a child in other places that I have lived-but as you have so kindly written Albert-without a reference and being a beginner it is really difficult. I think this would be a good idea and helpful to find a few more references. I used my watercolor book and tried to use an artists barn-just changing it here and there to make it a little me. I like that Amanda. My door I wish to be a bit more vague-not so cartoony- I will certainly go back to that area-as I love doors-to me the most important feature to a building.
You all have been so kind, I appreciate your looking and commenting.:)

Lima
09-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I am following this work. I think it's getting very good. I like the sky of the second image. I think the blue should be more attenuated and a bit cerulean. Very cool. The smoke from the chimney might be better reducing its height. Try to see how it plays if you hide the roots of trees, and put a random dirt blueish or other colors in the snow to see how it looks. Congratulations.:)

Alexandra
09-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Great advice Dear Oriane, and very much appreciated. I am taking notes-and hope that you can keep visiting and giving me advice.

Cerulean in sky, lower the smoke, shadow in doorway, roots of the trees. Will do my best my dear mates! Thanks.:):):):):):):):)