PDA

View Full Version : Old Mountain Woman - Portrait number 4

Jasminek
09-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Hello,

Here is my portrait number 4. I picked an old Mountain Tribe woman who wore the beautiful colored cloth wrapped beautifully around her head (the colors and patterns almost killed me when I painted!).

It is oil, knife, pencil and airbrush.

Many tribes lived far up in mountains in Asia and there is still tradition that elder people depended completely on their children or grand children, and some old people have support. Most areas on these mountains are quite cold, that is why IMO, these indigenous folks always have something to cover their heads. When I was growing up in the North of Thailand, few little gifts I always had were caps, turbans of many tribes of those whom my border-patrol policeman father visited.

What I wish most for these people is a chance to be educated. Thailand is doing better than many countries in educating them. In my fatherís time, the border-patrol policemen taught them how to write and read Thai, nowadays, most villages have regular teachers, and a few are able to go to universities. Not long ago, a child of 18 passed the entrance exam to a medical school, and some kind Thais are paying for his schooling, following the kindness of the King of Thailand and his family who have had these people stop growing opium and are growing some other profitable fruit and vegetable. However, these people are allowed to grow opium and marijuana for medical use for themselves.

Any comments and advice is appreciated.

coops
09-13-2010, 05:11 AM
Great portrait Jasmine, well done:)

Jasminek
09-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks so much Coops.:)

barnburner
09-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Excellent painting and I really enjoyed the story you supplied with it.:)

pat1940
09-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Jasmine, this is just a beautiful portrait, I admire you so much, I know you have had a tough time painting portraits as I have also, but you never gave up, and you improve so much, and your stories are so good and your kindness shows up in your artwork and your stories, thanks for sharing, keep them coming;););):):):)

Alexandra
09-13-2010, 07:56 AM
Wonderful Jasmine!

Caesar
09-13-2010, 08:29 AM
The painting is enjoyable with such a colorful attire, dear Jasmine. The story is very interesting too and I wonder which type of language they usually speak since Thai has to be learned.
When I was a child (early 60ies) there were still old people unable to write and read Italian (they also usually knew only local dialect). A successful campaign reduced their number to a negligible amount in very little time and the TV contributed too to the diffusion of Italian versus the dialects. There was also a TV program (the title in English was "It's never too late") with a teacher for them who made also wonderful drawings.
I used to see it and learned by myself reading and writing when I wasn't 5 as yet. I also improved my drawing capabilities I presume ...:rolleyes:;):)

screenpainter
09-13-2010, 08:49 AM
really nice. I love the beautiful scarf on her head.

Jasminek
09-14-2010, 01:45 AM
Thanks to everyone of you, and I will come back to answer in detail later. This is one of those days that a retired person like me must do a few things.:eek:

kenmo
09-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Beautiful work...Love the textures, I can almost feel the brush strokes....

mannafig
09-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Lovely work and great colours:):)

Jasminek
09-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi,

Sorry that I could not answer each you in a detail, life for the past 2 days is a little hectic. It looks like I take a too big a bite on translating a book into English (I do that from time to time from Thai, French and English) and it looks like a took a job a tad too big.:eek:

Barn - Really appreciate you, I have a problem telling anything in short version!:rolleyes:

Pat - YOu are so sweet dear friend, I am retired early so that I can do things I want, painting portrait is one of them, so I am trying.:D

Alexandra - Thanks to you dear lady.:)

Caesar - I really enjoy exchanging things with you. The mountain tribe people have their own dialects, not a written language. My father said that it has Chinese, Burmese mixed together. Thes hill tribes are minorities everywhere in Asia, but Thailand finally gave them citizenship. Burma, Loas, Vietnam don't. They were nomadic people and that is why the King of Thailand has worked hard to make them settle, now most of them in Thailand do ok with profitable crops, still, they want to keep their culture and I can't blame them. But now, if they learn Thai, they can go to school as high as they want.:)

Gzair - The scarf almost killed me, but I was so happy to do it, perhaps I need some punishement (challenge)!:D

Kenmo - Thanks.:)

Mannafig - So glad you like it, thanks.:D