PDA

View Full Version : Kinnaree, Mythical Female Bird - Fantasy

Jasminek
09-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi,

I have decided to paint a mythological/mythical creature that was talked a lot in literatures of Asia. Statues and paintings were done everywhere in temples and many buildings.

The creatures are supposed to be birds/human who resided in a mythical forest in Himalayas. They have bodies of human; just have wings that can be taken off as needed. They like water and can be caught when the wings are taken off, so a lot of romantic stories of love between men and these beautiful creatures are written. In Sanskrit and Thai language, the female ones are called Kinnaree, males are Kinnorn.

In this fantasy painting, I tried to capture the beauty of a Kinnaree enjoying herself in a lotus ponds.

Several refe. pictures were used, JackT.s Sakura brush head and a PPS were used, thanks to the creators of those brushes.

Feel free to comment and advice.:)

Jasminek

Alexandra
09-08-2010, 11:01 AM
How pretty Jasmine!

Caesar
09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
A very interesting mythological reference for a charming painting, dear Jasmine!
As a curosity I would put two images of them I found and two archaelogical representations of the mythological ancient Greek harpies (or the original image of the sirens, here with Ulysses) which look not much dissimilar to kinnaree, although they were not at all nice to meet.;)

eighty+
09-08-2010, 11:05 PM
that one diving on the boat She must have been the 1st Kamakaza pilot
sorry Jas I like your one better :D:D:D:D:D:D:D------E/S

pat1940
09-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Jasmine, very beautiful, love the softness and wonderful colors you chose;);):)

coops
09-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Soft and gentle painting Jasmine, well done:)

Jasminek
09-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Thanks to all your kind comments.

Caesar - I love mythology and find it fascination how things are told similarly in each culture. The Kinnarees and the Kinnorn are not mean, always a bit too gentle actually. There was a story that a guru helped a Kinnarre untangled herself from a trap, the Guru told all Kinnos not to come back to the lower part of earth (their residence was high up in the Himalayas) and stay away from human.:eek:

Alexandra - Fantasy paintings makes me feel a bit relax that I don't have to make it realistic, thanks again.:)

80+ - Perhaps the Japanese pilots took some lessons from this creatures! Wonder, they spoke Japanese?:D

Pat - Thanks sweet lady.:)

Coops - Thanks for looking dear friend.:)

javier
09-10-2010, 02:39 AM
Beautiful painting, great job.

ScottF
09-10-2010, 02:43 AM
Finely done, and thanks for the mythological information. Im going to have to look that up.

Jasminek
09-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Scott - Every Kinnaree were painted topless, I just had to hind mine with a lei, unless I want to post at "After Nine".

Most old Thai and Other Asian paintings seemed to be topless, men or women, It used to confuse me seeing these topless paintings or stautues in temple paintings. When I asked a teacher, she sent me home from being too curious, then in college one Art teacher told me that he thought because of hot weather.

I am glad you are interested. :)

Caesar
09-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Dear Jasmine, I was interested and amused very much by Your observation on topless people:p. It was certainly quite common in many places where temperatures (and humidity) are or were high enough, but it was not unusual also in other places. In the ancient Egypt and Minoic civilization lady's breasts (and men chest) were often uncovered. The same applied to Etruscans and generally where women had enough consideration I presume.
There was no scandal in those societies, just like in recent years when topless is tolerated on beaches and don't add to sex appeal as it mey instead be the case of some evocative costume and bra.
Moreove in Eastern Asia there probably was also the advantage of smaller breast on an average, so progressive gravity force effects could be less detrimental .....:D

mannafig
09-12-2010, 12:15 AM
A lovely depiction dear Jasmine very beautiful:):)

Mairzie Dotes
09-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Jasminek,
What a most interesting story to accompany your lovely painting.
So dreamlike, a place of fantasy that creativity can adventure to
at will. Just love the wonderful colors and diffused background
application that evokes a wispy, other world presence. Dreaming
is art imagined ... well painted! :)

Jasminek
09-13-2010, 06:41 AM
Dear Caesar - My profession was a Computer Scientist, stayed away from Arts a long time, everything seems so fascinating and many times new to me. I don't know about gravity force, just that fabric availability and hot weather can contribute to certain culture. Even just around 100 years ago, many so called "civilized" countries used some of the way certain countries dressed as an excuse to bring them in as colonies so that they could be civilized. I am quite aware of the Ancient Egypt, there the weather is hot too.

On the opposite like Chinese and Japanese, clothes were available and the weather can be very cold, I think the art teacher whom I asked might hit it right about the weather....and many factors of course.

Mannafig - Really appreicated your kind comment.

Mairzie - The background was an experiment for me, I am glad you like it.