PDA

View Full Version : A Short Stop

Alexandra
08-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Here's a little friend of mine, so bold and beautiful. He knows that I am in love with him.

All oils, background in oil and knife. 3 layers. All Artrage3Pro.

eighty+
08-22-2010, 07:03 AM
lovly pic; do u realy get birds like that in your garden u should b so lucky :D Alex

Alexandra
08-22-2010, 07:11 AM
E+, they are everywhere here! I live in a pecan orchard out in a rural area. In a big pecan tree next to my house is a huge nest of them. I have two feeders, and cannot keep them full. Also my rose of sharons are in full bloom and they love them as well! When I go to feed them, they will land on my shoulder if I wear a bright color.

Linn
08-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Wow Alexandra! Lovely painting of the hummingbird! I love the colors you used and the detail in the feathers...beautiful!

I only have a couple of them here. There is even a pecan tree next door but actually close to my house...no nest in there though. I need to feed them again...so far this year it has been too hot...in the 100's most of the time. When they come they do like the honeysuckle right next to the house.

Alexandra
08-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi Linn, same here. Triple digits. I make sure that my feeders are in the front and back. It is a pain to clean and sterilize them, but they are worth it. I appreciate your kind comment, thank you!:)

mannafig
08-22-2010, 09:47 AM
He is gorgeous dear Sandy I have fave'd him on DA already brilliant:):)

Alexandra
08-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks so much Amanda! And thanks for the fav too! I know they go to so many places, and there are so many different breeds, but he is my favorite!:)

barnburner
08-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Wonderful job Sandy! The little bird....the background, and the limb... I like them all.
:):)

Jasminek
08-22-2010, 11:51 PM
What a presentation of the lovely bird. We have bird feeder in the back yard converted from children's swing the last owner left. Hummingbirds do come by, but none has this beautiful colors like this one. Not prejudice, we welcome every one of them. We have more crows this year for some reason.:confused:

Love this bird you have painted so well.:)

pat1940
08-23-2010, 02:49 AM
Sandra, love your hummingbird, and I am so jealous, we have only seen the hummingbird once this year, have no idea why, I have honesuckle in yard and flowers but this year no hummingbirds

Alexandra
08-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks Mike, I am so happy that you liked it!:)

Hi Jasmine, This is the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. The males look like this, and the females are light green. I know there are so many varieties. Thanks for your kind comment.:)

Dear Pat, really? You know I watched a special on public television about hummingbirds. Seems that sugar feeders had a huge impact on their migration habits. Wonder why?:rolleyes: This breed comes mainly to the southern states. All of my neighbors keep feeders.:cool: Every year the same ones return according to scientists. In the spring when they return they will fly up to the windows. I don't know if these are the same babies or not, but I wonder if they are hinting that they want the feeders up. I will get them out, and the families come.:) They will even fly up to me and hum and buzz around while I sweet talk to them. They are so bold and unafraid.

SCP
08-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Very nice painting Sandra!I would much prefer lovely humming birds flying around me than getting attacked by Magpies here!:eek:;):)

Alexandra
08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Scott, Thanks!
I had to look for this bird. Beautiful, but seems a bit aggressive. The photo I saw on the internet was that it was diving down on a bicycler! I sure hope you haven't gone through this!:eek:

coops
08-23-2010, 09:33 PM
He is so beautifully painted Sandra, simply captivating:)

Alexandra
08-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Dear Katie, Thanks so much.:)

pat1940
08-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Sandra, I cant believe this, ever since I told you we had not seen the hummingbird, he has been here. I quess my complaint did some good, he is now on my honeysuckle and using the feeder, it is so great to see the little guy, he is so beautiful;):D

ScottF
08-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Alexandra, this is super! What brilliant, rich colors! The colibrí (hummingbird) is one of my favorites. Used to see them around a lot when I visited Ruidosa, NM in the summers. I´m afraid it´s too cold for them here.

Alexandra
08-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Pat, this is wonderful news! Be sure to place your feeder in the same place every year and he will return.:)

Scott, Thanks so much, I am thrilled that you like it. He was fun to paint. I have a feeder in front of my house right outside my living room window where the computer is placed-so when I am on the puter I see them flying about fighting over the feeder. They will even come up to the window and look inside. Bold little things.
It is interesting when you think about where they go and where they return and their long arduous journey. I am sorry that you don't have the little guys, but I bet you have some beautiful birds no doubt.:)

waheednasir
08-24-2010, 04:15 PM
very nice..:).

Mairzie Dotes
08-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Alexandra,
Hummingbirds are high strung little things. I always see them flitting
around my flowers in high speed mode and to see your favored
friend perched pensively (but not for long!) on a branch is a painterly
treat. No wonder you love this tiny treasure. Adoringly well painted! :)

Alexandra
08-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Waheed, Thanks for looking and your nice comment, much appreciated!:):):):):)

MaryAnn, Aren't they though! I watch the females thrusting themselves against one another in battle over the feeder! Both the females and males are very territorial and can get quite mean with one another!:eek: Thanks dear lady for your kind comment.:):):):):)

silvy
08-26-2010, 03:59 AM
WOW it's great!!:D
I had not seen yet...fortunately, I read your private message and look for this masterpiece.
Congratulations Alexandra!

Jono
08-26-2010, 06:45 AM
Really like this little chap Sandy. The way you’ve caught his head slightly cocked, checking you out with his little beady eye. Lovely colours and brush work.

It must be so nice to live in a rural area and in an orchard with hummingbirds. I love the hubbub of cities but only feel truly at ease when amongst trees and nature.

AT-TA
08-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Pretty birdie, Sandy.... heavn't seen this kind of yet... maybe next summer...:-)

screenpainter
08-26-2010, 08:27 AM
kind of surreal. could see it as an animation. lovely sky in the background. It's amazing how much depth there is to the scene behind the bird. I guess because of the way you did the lighting. It's got a stunning clarity to it.

Alexandra
08-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Dear Silvy, I am so happy that you had a chance to view my oils and that you approve!:)

Hi Jono! So great to see you! Ha ha-yes he is wanting sugar water, and then me to get out of his way!:cool::eek: I am so happy that you liked my work. Thanks!:)

AT, I need to see what kind go to Canada. Do they get up that way? Thanks a bunch!:)

Albert, Thanks so much!:)

Lima
08-26-2010, 11:03 AM
So beautiful. Stunning colors. Brilliant Alexandra.

Alexandra
08-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Thank you so much Oriane!

javier
08-29-2010, 03:47 AM
His addiction to the birds is evident, however one of his best work, congratulations.:):):)

Alexandra
08-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Thank you Javier, good to see you.:)