PDA

View Full Version : Profile: Man with Beard (Demo)

L Skylar Brown
08-20-2010, 10:38 AM
This is a painting demo (Oil). Posted on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIkE9jHPY-0 , and my website - SkylarArt.com

Linn
08-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Love the painting and the demo!!

Thanks for showing the demo! I have been wanting to try a portrait...what do you blend with? The knife?

L Skylar Brown
08-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi, Linn. I blend with the oil brush. Set at a size of 30% more or less, and 30% load, 70% thinner. This varies according to the area being blended. This was all painted with just Oil Brush.

Alexandra
08-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Wow, this is great Skylar. How nice of you to do this.

Jasminek
08-20-2010, 11:41 AM
So kind to share the knowledge. I love the confidence you put on each brush stroke.:)

coops
08-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Oh what a ponderous look he has Skylar. Brilliant work again:)

L Skylar Brown
08-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Sandy, Jas, Coops - Thank you for the comments. I try to remember to do in-progress stills as I go. The problem happens when you're really into it, and can't stop at a particular spot. For this one, I put my mind in "Teacher" mode, and proceeded logically. This produces an adequate image, but it removes a layer of passion from the piece. It also truncates the depth of involvement.

silvy
08-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Great work Skylar! Thanks for demo....I must try to blend with oil brush;)

L Skylar Brown
08-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Silvy - Thanks for the comment. I find that the oil brush is my favorite tool for blending. I'm working a piece right now which is primarily Airbrush, but I'm doing the blending with oil brush.

pat1940
08-22-2010, 08:41 AM
wonderful portrait Skylar, and great video, I am happy to see that there is another way to blend, as it is so difficult to blend in AR much different than the traditional way of oil painting, so I will be trying your way, P.S. glad you made a point of real painting and digital, I wanted to but, not being a member that long, did not know if I had the right....thanks .........Pat

L Skylar Brown
08-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Pat - A multi-leveled Thanks.
I'm so happy the post was informative. It always feels good to see effort rewarded.
As far as the "Real" comment goes, I felt compelled to do so. Digital is new in the mass-artist field, and isn't understood. A lot of people feel it isn't somehow legitimate - mostly becaus people hear "Digital", and think Photo manipulation. They haven't caught up to the fact that is just the newest tool to create with.
I sell both traditional canvases, and digital ones.
This week, I sold Two Digitally created pieces, and not a single traditional one. And I have been commissioned to do a companion to one of the digitals I sold.

mannafig
08-22-2010, 09:43 AM
great portrait Sky:):)