PDA

View Full Version : An Iron-Age preview

DrDestiny
08-18-2010, 06:02 AM
This is a snippet of a book I'm currently working on, with the colours slapped down in ArtRage2. I seems to have a very, er, loose, colouring style, that seems to get blotchier the more I try to tighten it up... Ah well.

[pencil, Illustrator, Photoshop, ArtRage2]

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31/jonathanwyke/HM_P7_snippet_sm.jpg

Linn
08-18-2010, 07:02 AM
Very nice! I especially like the girl's face...but the entire piece is great. What medium do you use for these?

DrDestiny
08-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Very nice! I especially like the girl's face...but the entire piece is great. What medium do you use for these?

Thanks!

I do rough pencils, then scan them into illustrator, where I 'ink' them. Then into ArtRage, where I set the thinners on very high (85%+), pressure on very low (less than 20%) and a low loading (40%ish). On separate layers for each colour variation I then scrub in colour, then combine those layers and do a little blending. Then I use the paint roller and underpaint the colour layer.

Alexandra
08-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Outstanding work, great talent!

pat1940
08-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Great work of art, I like it a lot:):):)

SCP
08-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Very nice style,looks great!:)

coops
08-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Great pictures DrDestiny, you are very talented:)

DrDestiny
08-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Outstanding work, great talent!

Great work of art, I like it a lot:):):)

Very nice style,looks great!:)

Great pictures DrDestiny, you are very talented:)

Thanks for the kind words!

I'd certainly like my style to be a lot smoother, but whenever I draw, the lines go wobbly and the colour goes blotchy :p

Danny the Fool
08-19-2010, 08:56 PM
I actually like this colouring style, it reminds me of a style I've seen used with rotoscoping.

DrDestiny
08-20-2010, 12:24 AM
I actually like this colouring style, it reminds me of a style I've seen used with rotoscoping.

*pushes a button instead of doing the hard work*:mad:

Danny the Fool
08-20-2010, 01:05 AM
*pushes a button instead of doing the hard work*:mad:

That's not what I meant. (It's also not what rotoscoping is, you still have to draw and paint yourself when you do that, you just get to trace some of the lines ;-))

Let me put it differently: It's a style that I have seen used when otherwise realistically formed human figures or detailed background were intentionally shaded in a way that gives them some sort of a blurry look to make the viewer focus more on the entire scene and less on details that are not important for what the artist wants to convey with the image.

DrDestiny
08-20-2010, 02:06 AM
That's not what I meant. (It's also not what rotoscoping is, you still have to draw and paint yourself when you do that, you just get to trace some of the lines ;-))

Let me put it differently: It's a style that I have seen used when otherwise realistically formed human figures or detailed background were intentionally shaded in a way that gives them some sort of a blurry look to make the viewer focus more on the entire scene and less on details that are not important for what the artist wants to convey with the image.

My apologies. :o

I like the contrast between my fairly accurate and tight line work and the mess that my colours become. I'm not sure many other folks do, or that it's at all commercial, but I think it's a nice contrast. An impressionistic overlay in a rigid framework if you like.

Caesar
08-20-2010, 02:24 AM
For some kind of reason I cannot see the image displayed ....:(

DrDestiny
08-20-2010, 02:28 AM
I used the Emperor's New Paints to do it.