PDA

View Full Version : The soft knife technique

Lima
08-13-2010, 09:23 AM
The soft knife technique.

Painting human figures and small figures with ArtRage. Another small trick for those who are beginning to use the program. The figures below show the parameters used for the knife. See two short films here:

Painting Human Figures with ArtRage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS1m_rTtO7c)

Small Painting Figures with ArtRage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1iRzqL7n54)

This technique can be used with only one layer or several layers. Enjoy.

barnburner
08-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Great stuff... I tend to use the knife a lot, and after watching these videos, I will be using it a lot more.
Thank you kind sir for sharing!
:):)

wenkat
08-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for helping us out with your great tutorials!:)

Lima
08-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Barn and Wenkat, thank you very much.:):)

This is a very interesting technique. You practically need not be painting or repainting, the shape and color of a figure or an object.

The use of soft knife technique obviates, briefly, the need for tools such as brush, pencil, eraser, etc ... You can use it even wet on wet paint with great simplicity.

I use this technique with frequency especially for modeling and correct imperfections of small figures and objects in a painting. Probably many artists use this artifice. I am providing the technique for those who are initiating and composing landscapes or other forms of expression that contain elements such as human figures, animals, etc, etc ...

barnburner
08-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Barn and Wenkat, thank you very much.:):)

This is a very interesting technique. You practically need not be painting or repainting, the shape and color of a figure or an object.

The use of soft knife technique obviates, briefly, the need for tools such as brush, pencil, eraser, etc ... You can use it even wet on wet paint with great simplicity.

I use this technique with frequency especially for modeling and correct imperfections of small figures and objects in a painting. Probably many artists use this artifice. I am providing the technique for those who are initiating and composing landscapes or other forms of expression that contain elements such as human figures, animals, etc, etc ...

I have great interest in this technique. I have done some of it just out of desperation, not really thinking in terms of it being a technique.
In fact, my latest painting " in the zone" was done with the fisherman and the boat being painted by use of the knife.
I've always been intimidated with painting small animals or people. What I've done at times, is use a seperate layer, paint the figure very large, then use the transform option to reduce the size down.
This knife technique provides what I think will be a faster option.
Thanks again.

Juz
08-14-2010, 08:58 PM
You are so generous with your technique knowlege Oriane, thanks once more for another fabulous contribution to the tutorials.:):)
Added to the tutorial list ;)

AT-TA
08-15-2010, 03:31 AM
So kind from you, Oriane. Thanks so much for sharing.

Lima
08-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Barn:cool:

Juz, you're a princess, and AT you too are a princess. Thank you.

pat1940
08-17-2010, 02:37 AM
Thankyou so much Oriane, wonderful of you to share this;)

Lima
08-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Pat, thank you very much.:)

hani
08-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks Oriane for the technique really helped me.

I would like to ask after reading painting flower book. I screenshot a part which am really stuck on it see the image, how I can implement your technique to this leaf

Lima
08-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Glad that you enjoyed and used this little artifice of technique. To paint a leaf, make a sketch. Use the oil paint, or paint with any other tool. Use a soft knife and shape the form. Use a soft knife to drag a blank space into the color and then blend the color to get different values. If you rotate the canvas, you can guide the ink to different locations. This helps a little. I'm adding a picture I made for you to see how I did, OK? Thank you for your attention.

hani
08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Wow Oriane you're genius, it's very nice draw.

Thanks a lot again for the great help.

Is it possible to publish it as a video guide like the started video on this thread ? (if it's possible).

hani
08-24-2010, 07:55 AM
after trying your instruction

Lima
08-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Hani I'm glad that you are using this technique. Now, vary the shape, use other tools to accentuate the color, work light and dark values, change the position and the form (as you did), put a tree, etc. ..... experiment with other objects, ... I reworked your leaf, which, incidentally, is very well done. See the figure. Hani Thanks for your attention.:)

hani
08-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks a lot Oriane, actually what I will do is to practice more on your technique and once I understand it and use it well. I'll proceed with the next type of leaf

then I'll challenge myself to paint a rose

another question oriane what type of canvas setting you're using also the oil brush setting

Lima
08-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Terrific Hani. Nicely done. Do the following: make the drawings, paint them ... open a thread in your name and publish your paintings so that everyone can enjoy them. If you wish, put them here too, OK?

I used the basic canvas. But you can use any type of canvas to add texture to the figure and image. Read Misterpaint thread (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30710) and look for different types of canvas that Misterpaint published here in the Forums. The figure shows the parameters for the brush.

hani
08-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Yes I'll do Oriane, am planing to create first tutorial on this forum with the leaf type then with pink rose, thanks again for the helps and great tips.

Jasminek
08-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Oriane - Very nice of you to share the skill, thanks.:)

Lima
08-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Hani, great:)

Jasmine, thank you very much.:)

LogicsHere
08-28-2010, 12:00 AM
I just came across this tutorial and after seeing the results, can't wait to try practicing it.

Thanks so much.

Lima
08-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Betty, thank you.:)

terrygillooly
08-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Oriane,

What a useful technique! I never thought of using the soft knife this way. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Lima
08-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Terry, you nailed it. I also think it is much easier to draw up some details. Thank you.

Braja69
09-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Very cool technique!

kenmo
10-01-2010, 03:10 AM
Great tutorials... I must try this...

Lima
10-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Braja and Kenmo, thanks.

screenpainter
10-04-2010, 02:45 PM
That's a great technique. Thanks Oriane for sharing the details.

Lima
10-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Gzair, thank you dear friend.

hildee
10-06-2012, 03:57 PM
I think this knife was originally called "modelling"? on youtube? At least that's what I called it when I added it to my presets. It's terrific.