PDA

View Full Version : Brick & Maggie (Cat On A Hot Tin Roof)

L Skylar Brown
07-18-2010, 06:15 AM
Paul Newman & Elizabeth Taylor. An update of the iconic movie poster. This was started on Bristol board, traditionally, then finessed digitally in AR.

pat1940
07-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Wow, Skyler, this is beautiful, looks like they both can come right off the canvas:):):):)

L Skylar Brown
07-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Pat - Thank you. I love movies, and reference them often. This was on cable, and I remembered this Poster from it. I found it, and decided to update it. Newman is completely covered in the orig., and Liz is in a white slip (That White Slip!)

barnburner
07-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Great job Skylar..
You captured both of them amazingly well. :)

Bob Row
07-18-2010, 04:50 PM
They look amazing, Skylar, just as they were.
If I can throw a wish, I'd like to see some variation in Liz' body, under her arm. Perhaps a curved, diagonal shadow to suggest the waist of her rounded forms.:o

Alexandra
07-19-2010, 12:49 AM
They were so gorgeous and such incredible actors. Wonderful piece Sky.:)

eighty+
07-19-2010, 12:55 AM
yep that's more my cup of tea Skylar with bob row's comments :D:D

Jasminek
07-19-2010, 01:04 AM
I lost my breath for a second with this painting, how fascinating it is!!!! Of course I have a pang of envy how it is painted so well!;) However, this painting also give a push to continue praticing also.

When I was growing up in Thailand, movie theters used the huge posters painted by hand. I used to go hanging around those artists watching them (when my father allowed it), this painting really reminds me of those good old days, very pleasant, thanks.:D

So well done my friend!!!:)

Jasminek
07-19-2010, 01:40 AM
This is the type of old movie posters I loved when little.

L Skylar Brown
07-19-2010, 09:36 AM
BarnBurner - Thanks. It takes some doing to get features correct.
Bob - Thank you! Yes! You're Right. I have corrected it - and she looks better.
Sandy, E+ - Thank you both so much!
Jas - Thanks so much! When I had my studio in L.A., I was just down from one of the specialty shops that handpainted large posters & billboards for movies and Record Albums - Quite a treat to see.

Mairzie Dotes
07-19-2010, 12:21 PM
L Skylar Brown,
Steamy, emotional, jam packed with heat, chill and desire. Awsome
representation of a couple in love though they just don't happen to
know it yet. :( As I recall the movie, they fought like (pardon!) cat's
and dogs but they ended up together, way too hot to cool down they
were and how romantic is THAT I ask!!! Fantastic artistry by the way! :)

justjean
07-19-2010, 12:25 PM
How wonderful, you have painted them to perfection :)

L Skylar Brown
07-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Jean - Thanks so much. I remember when this poster first appeared - Back then, it was very Steamy!. I hope I added to it.

Sketchism71
07-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Excellent work LSB! Fantastic realism with a classic movie poster feel. Love it!

L Skylar Brown
07-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Mairz - This is based on the Tennessee William's play - which was way hotter! It is about a couple going to his Daddy's birthday celebration. They are fighting - and not until way into the play do you discover she had a dalliance with his (Now gone) best friend. He is lamenting the loss of the friend, and dealing with the infidelity. The plot thickens when she reveals the friend was in love with Him, and slept with her in some convoluted emotional connection to him! Yes, all is resolved, and they Get Back Together.

marcialsj
07-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Talk about a HOT photo - sultry! Your additions definitely update the images to modern times. I didn't remember Liz with no clothes on back then, and Paul has that pure animal look -- then I read your explanation. I never could enjoy Tenessee Williams' works, they were just too convoluted for me. But you sure have brought out the sensuality and inward thoughts of two rough characters with your artistry.

L Skylar Brown
07-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Sketch - Thanks so much!
Marci - So glad you like this! Yes, Williams is a hard read, but there have been some descent movies - Streetcar Named Desire comes to mind. (Hmmm - maybe another update will be coming!)

jane.rox.ur.sox.off
07-20-2010, 03:14 PM
WOW. That is amazing! You captured their emotions just PERFECTLY. I wish I could draw like that !! :) I love it :D

Evart
07-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Whoa, what a steamy scene. Full of expressive, emotional imagery. I love it!

L Skylar Brown
07-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Jane - Thank you! Drawing like this is easy - all it took me was doing it almost every day for 40 years.
Ev - Thank you, dear Lady!

coops
07-22-2010, 06:02 AM
Wonderful painting of two beautiful people. You have the expressions so right for each of the charactors. Great film too.:)

L Skylar Brown
07-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Coops - Thank you so much. His expression was really difficult to get just right - due to the angle of the face & brow. She was easier - but, then again I have painted that face many times over the years.