PDA

View Full Version : Captains Cabin

jacktar51
07-17-2010, 10:57 PM
I have drawn this quickly this morning ,with the intention of detailing it step by step as I did with my previous progression,all I have done so far is basically got the shapes into position, and some light and shadow ideas,I did start a little detailing of the captains face,just to get into the idea of the thing a bit,and a bit on the lamp,but very sketchy, I then blur it a little so I am looking at the size and shape of things rather than the tool marks,and bingo ,I have a start made....This again is for those who may find it interesting,it is not meant as a tutorial,this is just the way I do things personally...THanks for looking in.....Jack.

eighty+
07-18-2010, 04:02 AM
crikey jack I'm feeling seasick already bad enough when I went to the isle of white :D:D

jacktar51
07-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Hello 80,just been tiddling about with it a bit,a little bit of tidying up,not been doing much to it today, been busy with other things,and my wacom table is out of order again,needs some maintainance doing to it,so I have reverted back to my old bigger tablet,which I generally do better work with but its more cumbersome,cant win 'em all,lol......still its nice to use it again after all this time, I used to use just the mouse for painting, but its so much easier with a tablet,I have given one like the one I am using now to my daughter,she does lots of computer artwork in her job,and I spotted it at the ALDI supermarket,at a very low price to what the wacom tablets are,so I bought another for her,she doesnt use it though because it wont work with her computer,it wont accept the programming for it....(and she wont give it back)..so it remains unused!!!shame...
Anyway I have done a little more so I have posted it , thanks for looking....Jack.

jacktar51
07-18-2010, 06:15 AM
JUst realised I have been working on size around 800 pixel width,so now I have resized the picture to 2000 pixels( because I want to do some detailing and its easier to do it at bigger size)......Jack.

jacktar51
07-18-2010, 07:50 PM
The hanging lamp angle was wrong I have changed that and added a lamp on the table,small stuff you wont notice perhaps, unless you have a keen eye, anyway the progress.....Jack.

jacktar51
07-18-2010, 10:10 PM
a little more detailing,and a couple of alterations,if you can spot them,...Thanks for looking ....Jack.

eighty+
07-19-2010, 12:11 AM
thanks Jack for making the sea calmer I feel better already, are they Dog biscuits I see?? good on yer for giving a tab; to your daughter can't Rage sort it out for u ???? :D:D:D

jacktar51
07-19-2010, 06:45 AM
Done some woodwork today, its starting to look a bit more like wood now instead of stone AH har!!...Re-worked his face again,I,m a bit more satisfied with it now,lots of woodwork to do still and then there,s lots of little knicknacks to put in to make it more interesting,Captains have lots of things in their cabins you know,lol...I haven,t done so much detailing since my painting of the inside of "The Admiral Benbow Inn"....And that was a long time ago,me dears....Got to go now or I'll miss the tide Ah har!!.......Jack.

jacktar51
07-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Eighty+...Nothing Artrage can do friend, its her old computer,she hasn't got it programmed right,and it wont accept quite a few programs,...
I expect she will get it going soon as she gets her new laptop,I gave her another tablet, a smaller one in size but loads more functions,she says that wont work either....so I'm waiting now to see if they work on the new one, dont mind buying her the stuff but at the same time I dont want to waste money,on something she cant use...Thanks for looking Eighty...Your looking younger today, I should say 70+..Ah har!!!...Jack.

MJSparks
07-19-2010, 07:13 AM
That's quite a lot of detail you've got! What tools do you use mainly?

jacktar51
07-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Hello Magen..I have gone off using white paper to start off with,I like to use a mid grey or a mid yellow ochre colour, mainly this is so I can put both shadows and highlights into the picture right at the start before I even think about detailing...I like to use the hard shader pencil on a broad setting,and very often I use the Roller for quickly getting coverage of darker shading where I want it,just basic shapes at the beginning, then I will sometimes detail a particular part of the picture to sort of get my imagination going,I think it helps when you are trying to bring out an imaginary scene from the back of your head,I also find ,after getting the basic shapes you want, going over the whole thing blurring it so you loose the pencil marks and you are left then with true form,you can change this at will at this stage because specific detail is not yet present, unless you have done a small part of the scene as I like to do, like as a starting place,I just hate having to start again so its important for me to get the shapes of my scene more or less right first time,if you dont you are wasting your time,no point in persuing,a thing that isnt even the right shape,its going to always look odd, a good for instance is the hanging lantern I drew in the first couple of pictures I didnt realise because I was working close in on detail, but when I came to a full screen shot I realise the error, the angle of sight was wrong, you can see it looks more normal seen diectly side on, I had it looking down on it, and thats not right from the point of view of the observer,you look up you see the under side of things, look down you see the top of things, depends where you look from....Sorry I'm rambling on a bit, simple question, extremely long answer, hope this is of some use to you Magen...Thanks for looking in....Jack.

jacktar51
07-19-2010, 10:57 AM
here's the latest update,just a bit more detailing...Jack.

MJSparks
07-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the insight Jack. I'm still learning the tools myself, so hearing what others do has been helpful in learning how I want to use them myself.

The blur thing is very interesting. I may try it out, to see how it would work for me.

Thanks again!

jacktar51
07-20-2010, 02:56 AM
Latest update, a bit more detailing,a bit more tidying up, and a bit of adjusting.....Jack.

jacktar51
07-20-2010, 04:52 AM
I havent finished this,but I am getting a bit bored with it now,so I am calling a halt on it,the full size PNG version is a lot better at 3000 pixel,hardly any pixelating,I am loosing lots of detail and definition in the continuous changing to 2000 J-peg fo posting...I expect its me as well, still dont know what I'm doing half the time( Away in Pirate land)..lol.
Anyway I am going to post this as finished,even though its not,because I want to start something new again....Hope its been of some use or some interest to someone...Jack.