PDA

View Full Version : The Crows Tree

Alexandra
07-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Trying out a strange sky again. This one I should have blended more, but went with it anyway. I hope you still enjoy it.

coops
07-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Viewing this one Sandra, looks to me like the world in someones hands. Love it:)

javier
07-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Very nice, I like the tones of the sky.:):):):)

barnburner
07-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Beautiful painting Sandy. I love those trees in the background showing thru the mist. :)

Alexandra
07-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Thanks so much for your kind comments dear friends: Katie, Javier, and Mike!

MJSparks
07-16-2010, 04:45 AM
I think the sky needs nothing dear. If the hills were snow covered I'd say we were looking at a northern sky somewhere in the country.

I like the work you're doing lately, I'm eager to see how far you'll take this new (new to me, that is...) style.

pat1940
07-16-2010, 06:07 AM
It's beautiful Alexandra, like it a lot:):):)

Alexandra
07-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Magen, Thanks! I love sci fi things as I continually mention like a parrot, and I am crazy about this genre from the 70's. When I first tried it with this software I was totally pleased. I need to practice on the textures though. Peter gave a great tutorial, and I need more practice with them. The pencil, chalk, and knife are fantastic for rocks and mountains.:)

Thanks so much Pat, so happy that you liked it!:)

Jono
07-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi, when I first saw this it looked too dark, but after changing my computer settings, it was transformed. Mysterious colours and shapes forming a very nicely balanced composition with the crows adding a sense of depth and scale. I like it. :D

Caesar
07-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Another original painting and style very much enjoyable. :cool::):):)
I just hope the three crows flight is not announcing some upcoming negative event ....:D

Alexandra
07-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Dear Jono, Thanks it is great to see you! I appreciate this very much. This is new for me and I am having a blast. Look into Roger and Martyn Dean: "Magnetic Storm" if you haven't already seen this book. :)

Hi Cesare, thanks! Actually there is a hawk flying in for her favorite meal....crows eggs.:eek:

Jono
07-17-2010, 01:04 PM
That’s strange, I almost said in my post yesterday that your painting reminded me of a ‘Yes’ album cover. I wasn’t quite sure if you would take that as a complement or a criticism.

I’m not familiar with the ‘Magnetic Storm’ book (yet) but I used to borrow my older brothers copy of ‘Views’, an earlier book, published in about 1975. I would say that that book has been one of the most influential art books I’ve ever read!

The influence is not so much reflected in any artistic style I have or have not developed (mainly not!), but more in my appreciation of colours - especially the beautiful translucent blends of blue of twilight. I can fully understand why you would want to paint them.

"Jono" <very big grin> Alexandra, that's very considerate of you. :):):)

Alexandra
07-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I have always loved the art on those albums Jono. I would love to see this book. I will have to do a search. I bet it is fantastic. I would love to be able to draw his dragons! Thanks again Dear Jono.:)

AT-TA
07-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Interesting, really. I like the birds the most but not in reality.They are so greedy and possessive... and killed out my robin pair, who every summer lived in our backyard. Nasty, noisy, i know, nature needs this monster for regulation...anyway i do not like them... but you painted them very nicely Sandy.

Alexandra
07-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Hi AT, Thank you! You know- out here in this rural area, we have about an acre of tall pine trees. I have been a bird lover and observer for about twenty years. There is a hierarchy here with them. The hawk, raven, crow, falcons-are the top most dwellers. Always fighting to protect their nests. I don't get many that come close here though because of my four cats and two dogs. I place my feeders on the outer parts of my front yard and back yard and I use a large pcv pipe in concrete to hold the feeders. The squirrels cannot climb those and eat the seed. I think the crows don't bother my other birds because of the pets probably. I do love them all though from the tiny hummingbirds to the great birds of prey. :)