PDA

View Full Version : An Attempt at Glazing Leaves

Alexandra
07-10-2010, 03:43 AM
My attempt at glazing and watercolors on watercolor paper. A lot of fun.

pat1940
07-10-2010, 09:11 AM
WOW, Alexandra, they are beautiful, well done:):);)

sabena
07-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi Alexandra fantastic painting:)

Jasminek
07-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I like the highlights to make the leaves so realistic, well done Alexandra!

Alexandra
07-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Pat, Sabena, and Jasmine, Thank you so much for your encouragement! So happy that you liked it!
I will have to keep on practicing with this now.:)

barnburner
07-10-2010, 11:46 AM
This is splendid work Sandy! :):)

Alexandra
07-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Hi Mike! Hope you've had a wonderful day! Thanks ever so much my dear friend!:)

Mairzie Dotes
07-11-2010, 05:51 AM
Alexandra,
Engaging glazing impressions. The palette is colorful yet with soft,
translucent features. In particular, just love the delicate veins
evident throughout the leaves. A delightful result. :)

ScottF
07-11-2010, 05:59 AM
Keep after this technique! You´re really starting to make it sing!

Alexandra
07-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks so much MaryAnn!

Scott, I will, and thank you so very much!

Bob Row
07-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Good work! Will you share your procedure with us?

RobertSWade
07-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Stunning and confident work, Dear Friend.

Alexandra
07-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Dear Bob Row, Thanks so much. I have to give credit to Cesare. What I did was use watercolor paper with watercolor about 50% thinner. I would also use airbrush in center and then small frost knife. I would use pencil on 50% pressure and make the veins. I would add layer and use watercolor and add more thinner about 50% pressure, add another layer and then the watercolor with almost all thinner on top with about 98%. If I felt it needed to be blended or faded on the exterior part of the application I would use blur or small frost with the knife.
I also like to duplicate the object painted and move it-sometimes enlarge it. You may also enhance with different effects and move the layer down to the background, and also change the opacity. You may then add another layer to this object and glaze it as well with watercolor and thinner to the amount desired. I feel like such a cheater when I do these things, but it sometimes can really add to a painting in a good way-especially when another object is on the foreground. The colors can surprise and please you.:)

Hi Bob, Thanks my dear friend, you are very kind!:)

Bob Row
07-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Hi,Alex: Thank you for the very complete and detailed description. It helps a lot. In fact, I started to try employing layers for effects a bit. I understand what you mean by "cheating", but the fact is that the digital engine doesn't behaves exactly as real watercolors do. So there's no point to keep a "real wc ethos". I still didn't dare to mix wc with other tools to improve the results, but I don't discard to do it.

Alexandra
07-12-2010, 01:38 AM
I agree Bob, mixing the watercolor with other tools can be tricky sometimes. I like to have the airbrush blended with the knife and a watercolor overlay with about 50% thinner. The airbrush as depth and the watercolor as glaze and slightly blended with tiny frost light pressure with the knife.

AT-TA
07-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Keep going,Sandy, looks good and i believe it gets, with your patience, even better.:)

barnburner
07-12-2010, 04:22 AM
. I feel like such a cheater when I do these things, but it sometimes can really add to a painting in a good way-especially when another object is on the foreground. The colors can surprise and please you.:)

Jmo, but I don't think there is anything to feel bad about. Creativity and imagination are essential artistic talents. Everytime you do one of these processes, it's a new creation, one derived from your mind, and your experimentation.
I've taken trees, rocks,etc., that I've painted, and duplicated them, then added to, taken away, changed in various forms, and I don't feel a bit guilty. It was my creation to begin with, so if I alter it - it's still my creation.
Keep up the good work Sandra!:)

Lima
07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Amazing Alexandra. Beautiful image. Great technique. Congratulations and thank you.

Alexandra
07-12-2010, 01:34 PM
AT, thanks so much. I will certainly keep at it. I have so many goals and I am closer this year. I have a few more books I would like to help me-and a lot of enjoyable practice. It has all been so rewarding. I don't even use my other software anymore. ArtRage has been so conveniently designed and such a pleasure to use.:)

Mike, Thanks so much-you are kind to say so!:)

Thanks so much Oriane, your comment makes my day. BTW-Beautiful avatar, and beautiful family!:)

javier
07-13-2010, 03:10 AM
WOW...very wonderful, great job.:):):):)

Alexandra
07-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Thank you Dear Javier!:)

Caesar
07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
What a profitable use of this new playground, dear Sandra! You got such subtle effects!:eek::cool::):):):):)

Alexandra
07-14-2010, 12:35 AM
I am thrilled that you approve Cesare! Well....I am on cloud nine now!:eek::):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)