PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July Tug of War

marcialsj
07-08-2010, 04:36 AM
These guys were participating in a tug of war contest at Ardenwood's Independence Day Celebration in Northern California. On the other side was a big bunch of ladies -- and the ladies won, yeeah!

This is my first try in AR at painting watercolor. I traced/painted off of my original photo in AR but it was prepped and finalized (color adjustments) in Photoshop.

javier
07-08-2010, 05:26 AM
Great painting.:):):)
Where I can learn this technique of watercolor? Thanks

TOM!
07-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Watercolor is very difficult. Is it your first painting in AR. Really? You are a good painter. I never had a courage to try that method.

Bob Row
07-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Wow! If you did this in your first try with the WC tool we can expect other great posts from you.

marcialsj
07-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks for your interested comments, guys. I hover over the computer once I post something, waiting for responses with my fingers crossed.

Tom!, I have the same mindset, watercolor is very difficult. But I just jumped in and things seemed to work out.

Bob Row, I knew I shouldn't have made that comment that this was my first watercolor in AR. Now I've got to overcome that great expectations feeling or I'll never try another... Believe me, when I went to bed after finishing this one, I was a very happy camper at the way it had come out.

javier, I just punted on this one, plodding along in my slow meticulous way. No specific tutorials. Here's what I did. I imported a photo, did a detailed trace over the people (zoomed in to 200%) with the ink pen to give me some lines to paint within, then used the preset wet on wet watercolor brush (altering the thinner setting to 25%) to paint on a new layer with "Automatically choose colors from tracing image". For the background I created a new layer below the others and did the wet on wet brush preset again but at 100% size, then went back over it with the watercolor brush preset to "just water" to smear everything in the background. The AR thinned colors were somewhat faded so I imported the file into Photoshop to bring the colors up (used auto tone and auto contrast color adjustment).

barnburner
07-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Really outstanding work. :)

coops
07-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Excellent work Marcialsj, energy in the painting as well as in the tug of war. Well done:)

Alexandra
07-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Wonderful and such a gleeful painting.:):):):):):):):)

AT-TA
07-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I like the action here, the fresh summery glow in the air and the wc style is very good. Marcia, you be proud of yourself...and stay a happy camper for a long time...:-) it is realy very nice picture...

Caesar
07-08-2010, 08:44 PM
You made a wondeful, artful painting out of Your picture, dear mate.
I'm not at all surprised the ladies eventually won. Once You give them the possibilities, they statistically have many more ways and resources to get the prize and, like the sailor, to enjoy them, You don't have to oppose, but joyfully follow Your own path considering and flying on their wind ....:p There are so many places and destinations where mere brute force or simple deductive logics cannot lead You ....:rolleyes:

Mairzie Dotes
07-08-2010, 10:50 PM
marcialsj,
Wow! This painting truely evokes a 4th. of July exuberance in bold
living color, high octane activity and admirable artistic flair. I can
sense the excitment without personally getting all worn out from the
fun filled activity. (Been there!) :D Excellent piece! :)

marcialsj
07-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Barnburner, thanks for your appreciative comment. These are always welcome.

coops, I surprised myself at how much energy the painting conveyed, but it was exciting to just watch the event, people cheering them on, etc. and I'm glad that energy came through here.

Alexandra, "gleeful" is just what those guys were feeling, you're right. It was just lighthearted fun.

At-Ta, don't you love summer and it relaxing, warm, companionable ways? Thank you for your compliments, AR makes me a happy camper.

Caesar, I remember a John Wayne movie where he said, in a male/female relationship it isn't all about winning, it's all about just doing it together. That was sure the spirit in this tug of war. The girls kept adding to their number on at their end of the rope and the guys just laughed at them, "flying on their wind". It was one of those fool things.

Mairzie Dotes, thank you for your always-descriptive words. You note I was behind the camera, not tugging along with the other ladies. But it always amazes me when I feel the power when people are connected -- even that 2-ton Charley at the male end of the rope got overbalanced when that power surge translated through that rope.

Evart
07-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I hope they wore gloves, those ropes can be brutal lol Great looking painting, looks like fun. :D

justjean
07-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful :)

marcialsj
07-10-2010, 05:48 AM
justjean, thanks for your comments.

Evart, sounds like you speak from experience. You may be able to see the gloves on the front guy's hands here, but I don't think anyone else was wearing gloves. It's not something you usually prepare for on a holiday celebration, and I noticed several people shaking their hands like they hurt after the contest.

sabena
07-10-2010, 05:49 AM
Great painting bravo:)