PDA

View Full Version : The Wigtown Martyrs

Boxy
06-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Hello fellow ragers.
I've been swamped in 3D work for quite a long time but Simon Dominic's recent ImagineFX tutorial inspired me to burn the candle at 3 ends and cosy up to ArtRage's lovely oil brush. Oh how I've missed it.
More info on this image can be found at www.boxy.co.uk (http://www.boxy.co.uk)
Thanks for looking. :)
Boxy

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Fk-VJYLC5HA/TCx3uW0kshI/AAAAAAAAANo/sisxkxQtYu8/s1600/WigtownMartyrs.jpg

coops
07-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Good to see you posting again Boxy, I have missed your wonderful creations. This is another masterpiece from you which depicts the story so well. I do so enjoy your work:)

Evart
07-01-2010, 12:18 AM
:eek: Wow, that's insanely awesome work!

barnburner
07-01-2010, 12:27 AM
That is simply amazing work!:)

Caesar
07-01-2010, 02:46 AM
Nice to have You back, dear Boxy!
A dramatic scene painted with great mastery! I cannot quite exactly understand or guess what is going on or rather why, but it is a really powerful illustration!

jacktar51
07-01-2010, 05:21 AM
There are occasions when comment HAS to be made,and from time to time I see such outstanding work that I just HAVE to come in and say how good it is,this is one of those times,..... Boxy this is SOOOOO good, in fact I now want to go away and try to paint something in oils, I dont think I have given them a fair trial,much like the poor victims in your picture,very well depicted mate, I looked up the story on Wikipedia,a true and dreadful story....Jack.

Boxy
07-01-2010, 05:44 AM
Aw shucks thanks everyone. Nice to see you all again! :)

Caesar there is more info on my website but the summary of the story goes like this:

In 1685 during a period known as 'The Killing Time' in Scotland, two women were tied to stakes driven into the sands of Wingtown Bay and left to the mercy of incoming tides. The eldest, a sixty three year old widow called Margaret McLachlan was set further out; doomed to drown first in the hope it would make her young friend, eighteen year old Margaret Wilson, swear an oath to the recently restored King Charles II and renounce the Covenant. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenanter) The teenager held fast and drowned along with her comrade. The pair were buried in the local churchyard where they still lie.
Some accounts say Margaret Wilson did recant, but her executioners heartlessly decided to 'let her rot' anyway.

Cheers

javier
07-01-2010, 05:59 AM
WOW... Amazing painting, and a dramatic story with a truly cruel end, however impressive painting:):):):)

Lima
07-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi Boxy! very very nice:eek::eek::eek: work. Beautiful.

AT-TA
07-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Really outstanding piece of work,Boxy. and how cruel people can be to each other... i truly enjoyed this.

Alexandra
07-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Breathtaking and moving are the words that come to my mind at this moment. I must join in with the others in expressing the thrill of viewing your work.
I was shocked to see the name McLachlan. One of my distant relatives on my mothers side was named Ada Melentha McLachlan from Scotland.:eek:
Thank you for sharing your wonderful painting and the story!

Caesar
07-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Thank You, dear Boxy, for the story You told us (I vainly hoped the ladies were going to be saved by the people on the boeat with the Union Jack).

It looks like that Inquisition was not a phenomenon afflicting catholic countries :eek: (curiously much more in Spain than in Italy, where the pope still seats), but I did know it's an attitude of mankind anytime any religion is used for power imposing and political supporting reasons (as the poor Thomas Moore experienced too, since anytime one is on the weak part is subject to persecution). Maybe buddhism has by far the least to repent of, in this sense, but all dominating religions were used for cruel deeds while I didn't hear many to ask for forgiveness.
For instance, everybody deplore the crusades recently (driven also by shameful reasons and full of horrible deeds too, also against Bizantium citizens, who were christian orthodoxes), but nothing was heard also about slaughters of inhabitants of towns in Spain, Greece, Cyprus, Southern Italy etc. made by Arabian and Turks expanding their power and based on muslim religion ground ...
I'm a fundamentally a believer and this is very, very sad ....

Boxy
07-02-2010, 03:46 AM
Thanks everyone. :)
Caesar don't get me started on religion and murder, that is a very very long conversation! :D
Cheers

RobertSWade
07-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Good to see you back here Sav. The grandkids thoroughly enjoyed The Ballad of Piggoty Wood. Not sure they'd enjoy this one so much though. :)

SCP
07-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Great to see you back Boxy.
A very well painted traumatic story.
I also checked out your website,you have been busy.I didn't realize you do so much 3D work:cool:Keep up the great work mate;):)

Caesar
07-02-2010, 08:26 PM
... and congratulations for Your site I just reviewed as updated, dear Saverio or Savino (I guess this may be Your name in full, looking at a Your surname and number of portraits with Italian names over there ...:p). Both Your 2D and 3D galleries are absolutely outstanding!:eek::cool::)

ScottF
07-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Boxy, this is another very fine piece! I didnīt know the story (until you related it a bit further down), but there is really no need to know the story to appreciate the obvious storyline. Great work!

nightjar
07-05-2010, 08:50 PM
outstanding work top marks.
dave.

Mairzie Dotes
07-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Boxy,
I can feel the fear and anxiety in "The Wigtown Martyrs." This painting
screams oppression and man's inhumanity to man. Your amazing talent
for creating a story on canvas is undeniable. Captivating and extremely
well painted! :)

Boxy
07-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Very kind words everyone, thank you. :)
Robert I'm glad the grandkids liked the book but yeah, this was isn't so light!
Caesar my surname is Scatola, which is why my nickname is boxy. :)
Cheers

mannafig
07-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Amazing work this is just stunning:):)