PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird

barnburner
06-29-2010, 08:48 AM
My first attempt at painting a hummingbird.
I tried capturing the movement of his wings, but
haven't got it right yet.

MJSparks
06-29-2010, 09:05 AM
I think you captured the movement of the wings just fine. They flutter so fast, it's hard to catch, but I think you did really well.

I have experience watching humming birds quite often as there is a family that returns to my parents house every year. They even land in the tree and bring the babies. They're not afraid of my family at all.

Is the little birdie finished in your eye?

barnburner
06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I think you captured the movement of the wings just fine. They flutter so fast, it's hard to catch, but I think you did really well.

I have experience watching humming birds quite often as there is a family that returns to my parents house every year. They even land in the tree and bring the babies. They're not afraid of my family at all.

Is the little birdie finished in your eye?

We have some that come to our feeders every year, and I actually took a snapshot of one, that I used as a guideline for this.
By and large, I think I'm about done with it.
I've compared it to the picture, and other than being able to accurately capture the wing movement, it seems ok to me.
Do you see something I have missed?
Thanks Magen.

MJSparks
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
No problem,

Without seeing the reference, I think it's a good capture, especially if he was mid-flight.

Do you have plans on adding some landscape behind him?

barnburner
06-29-2010, 10:16 AM
No problem,

Without seeing the reference, I think it's a good capture, especially if he was mid-flight.

Do you have plans on adding some landscape behind him?

Probably so. I wanted to be sure he was done well enough to warrant the work.

MJSparks
06-29-2010, 10:40 AM
I think you should. Depth behind him would make him pop out really well.

I certainly think it's worth the effort!;)

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

barnburner
06-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks Magen!:)

art painter
07-01-2010, 11:56 PM
i love the color and movement and btw i reviewed your gallery -- just awesome and fun to view

barnburner
07-02-2010, 12:13 AM
i love the color and movement and btw i reviewed your gallery -- just awesome and fun to view

Thank you very much. I truly appreciate that. :)

Lima
07-02-2010, 10:22 AM
The movement is beautiful. Barn, what you think of a tender blue background?
the Hummingbird and its movement is outstanding.:eek:

barnburner
07-02-2010, 10:42 AM

I think you hit it perfectly with the idea of a light blue background. Thank you sir. :)

carlcath
07-06-2010, 03:37 PM
I like to give just a quick look at an image like this and then close my eyes and see if I can define what it was. Having done that, I think the overall shape is like a hummingbird, however, if this is to be a representational depiction, I feel it needs much more detail to show that the body is not smooth. Perhaps lines showing tiny little feathers all over it.

The birds I have seen all have the body a different color than the head.

Getting movement is very difficult in a picture. Did you consider drawing an actual wing with all the detail in three different positions(low, middle, and high) then merging all three wings and blurring them and reducing the opacity? The camera probably blurred the wings but in real life you can see the little lines in the wings.

Look closely at the eye in the picture you took. Is the eye actually solid black? Most of the ones I have seen have some white around the front and back of the eye.

I do think you have the green color about right. I applaud your effort, I don't think I have the skill to even try to tackle that project.

Hydrox24
07-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I agree that a "tender blue" background is needed but I think that some red streaks on the bird would be good because humming birds do have some red on them, specifically in the neck/head area. If, however the background is going to stay red then I don't know that a red neck would look very good.:p
There's an example of the red neck below.

barnburner
07-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks to you all for your ideas. Much appreciated.:)

Alexwegs
08-04-2010, 03:07 AM
Wow, those wings capture the motion beautifully. Dont worry about it. Now I am going to give you a little peice of advice.
I really like the style you portray, but the bird vocal point, and seemingly the only other element to painting other than the background, is pretty small. Now that is perfectly fine, but adding something in the background might make this picture even more eye-catching.
You dont need a whole scene, but maybe a texture or depth would help.
But dont worry about that to much. Its still a brilliant peice. :)

barnburner
08-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Wow, those wings capture the motion beautifully. Dont worry about it. Now I am going to give you a little peice of advice.
I really like the style you portray, but the bird vocal point, and seemingly the only other element to painting other than the background, is pretty small. Now that is perfectly fine, but adding something in the background might make this picture even more eye-catching.
You dont need a whole scene, but maybe a texture or depth would help.
But dont worry about that to much. Its still a brilliant peice. :)

Thank you very much. Yeah, I agree that it needs something else to balance it out. This was just to get input about the bird itself.
I actually ended up making a painting with several humminbirds in it. If you want to check it out - it's in my gallery.
Thanks again.