PDA

View Full Version : Sax Nebula

alkratzer
06-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Just a quick sketch of an idea -- I'll try something more finished on this later

PICASO41
06-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Who needs electricity when you have this incredible piece to light up the place, AMAZING :eek::eek::eek:

Mike

Evart
06-18-2010, 07:21 PM
I've always liked your colorful paintings alkratzer, awesome job :)

Caesar
06-18-2010, 10:02 PM
This is once again among Your best, dear Al! What next then? A Sex Nebula in the After 9? :D

foxytocin
06-19-2010, 12:03 AM
As a quick sketch, it has enough verve to stand as a finished piece.

coops
06-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Wonderful piece again AL, I just love the vibrant colours that you use and also love the sound of the sax. Almost hear the sweet music the musician is making.:)

AT-TA
06-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Joy of life after nine....very nice Al. :)

marcialsj
06-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Love your stuff, Al. I was wondering, do you sketch out/preplan where your colors will go before you go through your final painting process? I've looked at your tutorials several times and wondered how you made your decisions as to what colors go where -- it seemed you just eyeballed things and made your decisions on the fly...

Alexandra
06-19-2010, 09:34 AM
This one is my favorite so far! Excellent work Al!

Lima
06-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Beautiful.

barnburner
06-19-2010, 09:47 AM
This is really good. :)

ScottF
06-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Way cool, Al! :cool:

alkratzer
06-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments. At some point I will submit something more finished on this one.

In answer to your question marcialsj, The color choices are made using a number of approaches, sometimes on the fly by feel and sometimes using a conceptual device.

For example, in the attached graphic you can see a quick black and white sketch that relies on overlapping shapes of dark/light/dark/light to create a rhythm. You could decide to replace dark and light with colors and their opposites to create that overlapping feel as well -- and by putting the complimentary colors next to one another they begin to vibrate.

There are a number of devices like this that can help jumpstart color ideas. After using the device, you can react and make changes based on your taste and preference and the colors are driven further from "real" and more to using color arbitrarily for its own sake.

For me, in the end a lot of it just comes down to what colors do I like to work with. I LOVE many of the works I see on this forum done by others that are strictly real in color treatment or even muted. But if I put one of those colors down myself, I immediately want to change it to something brighter. If you notice on my color pallet screen capture where my choice point is. With race exceptions, I almost never pull a sample color from anywhere but along the edge where the purest hues are found.