PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of Stands With A Fist

barnburner
06-15-2010, 11:58 AM
I've been wrasslin with this for the better part of 3 days. Came real close to deleting a couple of times.
Portraits are really hard for me, but I think this one ended up being not awful... :)
It's all ArtRage 2.5. I did use a ref picture, which I
am attaching.

Lando
06-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Try using a tracing image feature nice, very helpful to draw portraits but takes a bit of your self-esteem

barnburner
06-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Try using a tracing image feature nice, very helpful to draw portraits but takes a bit of your self-esteem

I did use the tracing feature to outline the key features, eyes,nose and mouth.
I have studied tutorials on this site from really good portrait artists that suggest doing just that.
I can't say it took anything away from my self-esteem, because even with that bit of help, getting the colors, shadows, hair, eyes, lashes,etc., up to a reasonable standard, was a huge challenge for someone like myself.

AT-TA
06-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Barney, in portraiture the emotion makes the image alive.. and looking at the ref pic and your painting... you've done very well in that direction.

barnburner
06-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Barney, in portraiture the emotion makes the image alive.. and looking at the ref pic and your painting... you've done very well in that direction.

Thank you - I really appreciate that. :):)

Lando
06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
If you learn to paint by drawing, advice from a great artist Andre Loomis, use the brush as you would a pencil.

Mairzie Dotes
06-17-2010, 11:18 AM
barnburner,
The dedicated effort is certainly part of the learning curve and you
have made great progress. :) Now when it comes to me ... haven't
even attempted painting a portrait yet because ... I cry easily. :o

barnburner
06-17-2010, 11:46 AM
If you learn to paint by drawing, advice from a great artist Andre Loomis, use the brush as you would a pencil.

Thanks for the advice. :)

barnburner
06-17-2010, 11:49 AM

barnburner,
The dedicated effort is certainly part of the learning curve and you
have made great progress. :) Now when it comes to me ... haven't
even attempted painting a portrait yet because ... I cry easily. :o

Thank you very much.
I doubt you would have trouble doing portraits.
It's just "shade tree artists" like me, that end up banging their head against the wall.. :):)

Alexandra
06-21-2010, 01:50 AM
I really loved this one Mike. Great job! The movie is a favorite of mine as well. The actress one of my favorites too.

barnburner
06-21-2010, 02:05 AM
I really loved this one Mike. Great job! The movie is a favorite of mine as well. The actress one of my favorites too.

Thank you Sandy....
If you don't have the collector's edition of the dvd, I would urge you to get it. It has almost another hour of the movie that was not in the screen edition, plus the director and producer comments are just great!
Mary McDonnel is one of my favorite actresses also,
and I think, a very beautiful woman.

Caesar
06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Likeness is quite evident since this figure painting, so I believe You are going to dramatically improve in very little time in this new (to You) genre, dear Barnburnes.
I believe that next, practising on the tonal rendering (shaded and enlightened parts), You would already get an even more impressive portrait!

kenmo
06-22-2010, 01:34 AM
Excellent interpretation of this memorable character from "Dances with Wolves"....

barnburner
06-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Caesar - Thank you for both the compliment and the ideas. :)

Ken - Thank you - I appreciate it. :)

Lima
06-22-2010, 08:24 AM
The lower half of this portrait is very similar to the one in the photo:eek::eek::eek: Very nice Barn.

barnburner
06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
The lower half of this portrait is very similar to the one in the photo:eek::eek::eek: Very nice Barn.

Thanks Orian. I appreciate it.:)

Alexandra
06-23-2010, 02:45 AM
Thank you Sandy....
If you don't have the collector's edition of the dvd, I would urge you to get it. It has almost another hour of the movie that was not in the screen edition, plus the director and producer comments are just great!
Mary McDonnel is one of my favorite actresses also,
and I think, a very beautiful woman.

Sadly, I didn't buy it! I will add this to my Netflix list. I appreciate you telling me about this. I didn't know.
Another one of her movies, I loved-more of a chic flick really-I don't know if you would like it, but maybe your wife-it was called "Passion Fish"
It is about a woman in Louisiana, and how her life changes. Her acting and the other actors and actresses are top notch! Anyway, and incredibly sensitive and interesting flick.

barnburner
06-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Sadly, I didn't buy it! I will add this to my Netflix list. I appreciate you telling me about this. I didn't know.
Another one of her movies, I loved-more of a chic flick really-I don't know if you would like it, but maybe your wife-it was called "Passion Fish"
It is about a woman in Louisiana, and how her life changes. Her acting and the other actors and actresses are top notch! Anyway, and incredibly sensitive and interesting flick.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for that movie and check it out. Under neath my ex-Marine exterior - I'm just an old softie anyway... :):)

Evart
06-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Very nice job barnburner. The eyes are spot on. :)

barnburner
06-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Very nice job barnburner. The eyes are spot on. :)

Thank you very much Ev...
I had a hard time with the eyes, and put in a lot of work on them, so I really appreciate your comment. :):)

Bob Row
06-23-2010, 03:16 PM
She's got an unusual mix of strong bones structure with delicate traits (plus a shy personality in this particular movie). You nailed the traits but the structure calls for an adequate play of light and shades to become evident.

Loomis is a solid guide to go after, step by step.
Here you'll find a set of links to download his books to your computer and to take your time to improve your skills:

http://www.artcone.com/forum/andrew_loomis_books_downloads-t1772.html

Edit: Sorry; I just checked and it seems that these links got deactivated (perhaps on copyright demand). I'll keep looking for a viable link.

New Edit: OK. This one seems to work (it just takes a bit of patience with the free downloading). This is the link for the "Head and hands" book by Loomis:

http://rapidshare.com/files/153318591/Andrew_Loomis-Drawing_the_Head_and_Hands.rar

Didn't check the other links below in the same page:

http://www.dlarena.com/ebooks-tutorials/9471-drawing-the-head-and-hands-by-andrew-loomis.html

Hope this'll help you. Good luck!

barnburner
06-23-2010, 11:40 PM
She's got an unusual mix of strong bones structure with delicate traits (plus a shy personality in this particular movie). You nailed the traits but the structure calls for an adequate play of light and shades to become evident.

Loomis is a solid guide to go after, step by step.
Here you'll find a set of links to download his books to your computer and to take your time to improve your skills:

http://www.artcone.com/forum/andrew_loomis_books_downloads-t1772.html

Edit: Sorry; I just checked and it seems that these links got deactivated (perhaps on copyright demand). I'll keep looking for a viable link.

New Edit: OK. This one seems to work (it just takes a bit of patience with the free downloading). This is the link for the "Head and hands" book by Loomis:

http://rapidshare.com/files/153318591/Andrew_Loomis-Drawing_the_Head_and_Hands.rar

Didn't check the other links below in the same page:

http://www.dlarena.com/ebooks-tutorials/9471-drawing-the-head-and-hands-by-andrew-loomis.html

Hope this'll help you. Good luck!

Many thanks Bob! :)