PDA

View Full Version : A Few will remember

franc
06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
A quick impression. 6th June

mannafig
06-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Wonderful Painting with a very moody feeling:):)

ScottF
06-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Very atmospheric, sort of post-apocalyptic feel.

Peter Pinckney
06-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Yes. Getting fewer all the time...........we all owe them a lot. Great depiction!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

L Skylar Brown
06-09-2010, 09:08 AM
When I was a kid, this date was celebrated and taught in school as the day the war turned around. We lost thousands on that day who were fighting for The Right Reasons, and they should always be venerated.

eighty+
06-09-2010, 10:22 AM
skylar there's been wars for thousands of year's for the right reason's can somebody explain what those reason's ARE

L Skylar Brown
06-09-2010, 11:20 AM
80+ - At the risk of getting mired in philosophical debate, I think that question should be addressed at another time or forum.
I know of what you speak, I had my own war with which to contend, and personally see no value in wasting life of any kind.

eighty+
06-10-2010, 03:12 AM
skylar thanks for your answer? just leave's me wondering if anybody
can give a honest answer to the question regards E+

Alexandra
06-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Excellent painting. My parents are of this time and I have had the privilege of knowing a man from this war who has shared his tragic stories with me forever leaving images in my mind.

Caesar
06-11-2010, 01:43 AM
The painting looks a little dark on this screen (I'll have another look on a better one later on), but it seems quite beautiful.
I only miss what is being remembered or celebrated on the indicated date. I understood is about some war or event of that war, but which one? :confused:

OK. I found it! It was the D-Day, in Normandy, the actual mass landing date, even if airplane bombing and pharatroopers launch started before. A decisive moment, even if Germany defeat was just a matter of time at that point, but the race between the US army supported by UK and the Russian Army revealed to be important for the geography of the following decades dividing free democratic nations from communist dictatorships ...
It was a great luck for so many Europeans the Nazis defeat as well as the Communism avoidance! Maybe we should all be curiously grateful to Japan too that, at Pearl Harbour, forced US to enter the war.

MaryLou
06-11-2010, 04:10 AM
Sad but beautiful painting

Lima
06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
The paint gets inside what should have been landed. Brazilians also fought in that war. Well remembered.

franc
06-11-2010, 01:37 PM
It seems that my "impression" prompted some thoughts amongst the members and got some (younger ones, perhaps) checking on history,all be it fairly recent history!! They were momentous times for many -- best not forgotten.
Thanks for looking.

Caesar
06-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Dear Franc, I'm not that young. :D
The second WW was quite important to remember, but consider history and its momentous times are so much, especially in Europe and even more in Italy (for instance what about the Lepanto naval battle importance?). Moreover in the various places the crucial events of that war were also different as importance.
For instance, here in Italy, the US landing in Sicily and especially thoselong awaited in Anzio and Nettuno, after the armistice, were fundamental to respectively get rid of fascism and sudden German army control after the big mess and confusion following it. But many more heroic events are discreetely remembered also when our army had to fight on the wrong side (unprepared, often against larger enemy divisions), as it happened in Abissinia, in Russia retreat, the Malta aibattle, the incursion in Alexandria harbour and in Africa up to El Alamein, then when we free Corsica from Germans without assassinating them as they did in Cefalonia. Our soldiers had to pay dramatically,also with slaughters and lagers their loyalty and our people the rebellion to German become invaders (in Naples, Rome, Lanciano) when armistice came without instructions. They also were quite effective, beyond our partisans actions, in some important episodes were they suddenly had to defend and react against the Wermacht on our country. In Montecassino, for instance, Italians and Polish, not the bombings were able to win the very difficult attacks to take the Abbey
Anyway we are all grateful to US, UK and Russia eventually winning such war, especially very much to US for us Italians, also because they allowed UK and Russia to face Germany too with their industrial contribution!
Thanks again!