PDA

View Full Version : Sketch book - feel free to comment

Chibi J
06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Wasn't quiet sure where to put this so i'll whack it here. I've titled it sketch book because thats what it is a collection of sketches some of which have or will be developed and some that will only live on these pages.

Chibi J
06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Faces - different shaped faces and how different media colouring effects looks

Chibi J
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Some more cartoon faces looking at shapes and colouring styles

Chibi J
06-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Erm the best way I can describe this page is er Stuff. I'm trying to just fill pages of stuff. Sometimes nice ideas creep out.

Chibi J
06-22-2010, 01:12 PM
I did a picture of The Creep from a cartoon called Galexy High. After I had finished him I decided as drawing practise I would try to position him in different ways. The 4 pictures on the left were drawn from screen shots to get a feel of his shape the rest are positions I thought up.

Chibi J
06-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Some more sketches looking at faces and how just changing pupils and eyes shapes can create different expressions

MJSparks
06-26-2010, 01:06 PM
These are all wonderful little cartoons here. I appreciate the time you took to do different poses.

Very fun and effective way to practice!

Chibi J
06-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the comment MeganSparks I posting up my sketch book as I have decided to really try and develop my art focusing on cartoons at the moment. While doing it I realised that in all the art lessons at school never did they mention the importance of the sketch book or actually mention it for that matter. They just focused on one off pieces. It is only through reading Imagine FX and looking at Tom Gaulds flicker sketch book that I realised what a important tool it is.

So if any art teachers looking at this post. Give you kids a sketch book, some comics and art books and some free time to just fill it in :D

Oh and if my workings can help other people art feel free to use it as a base.

MJSparks
06-27-2010, 01:34 PM
My art teacher, in the way back :o .... she was and still is a very big part of how I became an artist. I enjoy drawing cartoons very much. So much that I now have to practice the realism because my skills have faded in that... so be sure to practice both! The realistic practice helps you learn how to morph the cartoons.

Mrs Hixon always had me sketching things and trying everything she could muster the cash from the school for me to experience. Through her I was able to try everything and had she the funds, I'm sure I would have found digital art much sooner than I did.

I agree though, sketchbooks are essential and cost effective tools and practice! I love the sketchbook you have going, it's really good. A lot of neat characters in there.

Chibi J
06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Sounds like you had an excellent art teacher MeganSparks there are some good ones out there. Unfortunatly they weren't in my school.

I intend to do some realistic sketches as well and when I do them they will pop up on here as well but I have decided to be systamatic in my approach to my drawing so at the moment my focus is cartoons.

I am working through a book called How to draw cartoons by Adam Clay and Cartooning by Franklin Bishop. The way I'm doing my sketch pages is to use the books as reference and then continuing by experimenting with changinging things slightly to see what effects they have. My aim is to try and fill a page a day. Though toddler is going through a spark out at mid day phase so evening Mummum time just slips away as he is going to bed much later :(

The sketch book is a combination of sketches on artrage and sketches drawn on paper.

Chibi J
06-30-2010, 01:10 PM
A selection of noses and beards.

Chibi J
07-01-2010, 10:48 PM
A study on how changing the sizes and position of the features change the look of a character.

Chibi J
07-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Men and women hair styles. Must keep chugging away aiming for a sketch book page a day (child willing) and hopefully I'll develop a nice cartooning style. I intend to do true proportional stuff as well at some point, as that will help to improve my cartoon people.

Chibi J
07-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Working through How to draw Cartoons by Adam Clay and Cartooning byy Franklin Bishop. This is a page which contains reference drawings from the book - expressions and drawing special effects - so only posting a cut and past version so I don't infringe on copywrite too much as they are drawn straight from the book. The rest of my sketch book is using the chapters in the book as a base for my own learning.

Chibi J
07-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Ok hands even cartoon hands are annoying things to draw so I did a page found in tedious so I made myself do another page. I trawled through comic stripes and how to draw books ect to try and get many hand positions.

eighty+
07-08-2010, 11:34 PM
hi chibi how do u get your sketchbook stuff to post do u have to print it first or what??? would like to know regards E+

Chibi J
07-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Hi there at the moment my sketch book pages are done on paper then I scan them in to put them up to post. If they are coloured I do that with art rage, which I then export as a jpeg then post on here.

Sadly my kiddo is going through a sparked out midday phase so my evening drawing is in a little bit of limbo at the moment as Kiddy is awake :((.

eighty+
07-09-2010, 10:45 PM
thanks Chibi for info when u say scan does that mean through the printer??? hold on is that the little one I can hear crying u better go ok

:D:D:D

Chibi J
07-10-2010, 12:54 PM
No not a printer, I have a image scanner at home so I am able to put my images onto the computer. The link below will take you to an article that will explain scanners in more detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scanner

What I do is draw on paper then scan it in. I import the image to artrage if I am wanting to add colour. To add colour I turn the layer that has the scaned image to a multiply blend layer which allows me to make a new layer underneath that I can paint on. (can't explain how layers work I just pick up tecniques from reading Imagine FX and listening to pod casts and watching on line tutorials ect)

As I go on in my sketch book I will eventually get to developing characters so more artrage painting will take place. This sketch book is kind Of a self study book for myself.

Oh gosh don't get me started on the toddler he's had more ups and downs today than a yo yo, my poor brain go pop.

Lima
07-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Chibi great work.:eek:

Chibi J
07-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm drawing feet at the moment and finding them as tedious as the hands so making myself do 2 pages of them as well :( :( . Won't stop at just 2 pages as I discover differing styles and positions I'll probably do another page in the future all adds up to future reference for myself and others. Listening to the Chris Oatly pod casts makes it seem little less of a chore.

Actually starting to trawl through old comics like the Calvin and Hobbes to name one (been sat on my shelf for ages) made me appreciate the works more for the story telling and artistic merits if that makes sense. Also re-reading the good old Calvin and Hobbes takes on new meaning now I have a kid of my own.

Chibi J
07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Ok heres the feet they are a tedious as hands so I made myself do another page. I'm at the running down of the inspired drive that grips you when you decided upon something but I am determined to keep this up and cover cartoons and realistic drawing as well. The hardest part of learning something is not the subject matter its maintaining the motivation.

Chibi J
07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Construction lines just looking at movement. I found this is a nice quick exercise I look through books just noting the basic shapes and body positions and will work as future reference. I think I'll do this as quickies when ever the toddler is creeping into the evening time.

Chibi J
07-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Looking at the characters in the book and as drawing practise reposing them. The book image is in the top left corner (reference drawn). I scanned my line drawings in and painted them in artrage.

Hum I seem to be getting one or two decent sketch in a page, more practise needed.

Alexandra
07-16-2010, 02:46 AM
Chibi, I love these-you are fantastic!:)

Docsmith626
07-16-2010, 06:04 AM
I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the lovely skillset you are developing. The practice is obviously paying off.

Chibi J
07-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi thank you for the encouragement :D My reply is a little on the slow side as my little boy has had yet another cold (thats what I get for allowing him to play with other children and taking him out every day LOL ) When toddlers ill mummum time disapates as his sleeping patterns are all over the place, so my page of sketches a day had a little set back though these things happen so I settled for at least one drawing a day.

For my practise I was copying some other artist artwork Firstly I did a little Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson. Man I surprised I actually got some drawing done as I kept getting distracted by the strips which are even funnier now that I have my own son :D

my next pages are from a book by Gervase Phinn he does anacdotal stories about his job as a school inspecter. The illustrator for his book is Chris Mould.

I have found that a fault that I have for my drawing is I have a tendecy to bunch the head and features of the face up a bit so as I draw I found I needed to increase the empty space on the heads. Hope that makes sense. Also I needed to take more note of body sizing Calvin body is kind of half and half that being his head takes up half his body where as Chris mould splits his children into thirds: head, body and legs

I will kind of be switching from learn to draw book work, copying other artist to real life drawing for my sketch book. I hope to be a really good artist one day and the epiphany moment was when I reallised that I would really have to put some effort into it to make it happen.

Chibi J
07-24-2010, 02:10 PM
An eagle that seem to look like a deranged parrot most of the time and a duck.

The eagle was done a few days ago but due to toddler being ill I have only just got round to painting it (which I do in artrage) the duck has been done tonight, I see a slight improvement in my lines after doing the copying exercise.

Chibi J
07-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Some more copying of other art styles. Usually do these after a hard day with toddler as I don't have to think as much, I'm just looking at forms rather than having to think about ideas ect.

The pictures are from a book called 'I don't want to have a bath' by Julie Sykes the illustrations are done by Tim Warnes

Chibi J
07-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Here is a parrot. I am getting happy with my drawings, they are not to the standed of where I want to be (don't think, no matter how good I get I ever reach that level :D ) but I can see the improvement my parrot has consitancy of shape in his different poses.

The poses are something I am doing for myself I am working through the How to draw cartoons by Adam Clay the top left picture is the book version the rest are my ideas. The first drawing I do after the book version is to mirror the character and I have found this is the trickest thing to do. Once the line art is done ( I do this on paper) I happily paint it in artrage. I did the parrots in differing colour combos to try and reflect its pose and expression.

Chibi J
07-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Rabbits today in a variety of different poses I suddenly realised that I was drawing the cartoon bunny in bunny like poses.

Its a cartoon bunab for crying out loud my mind shouted it can do anything it wants so he became Carrotbun and is off to save the world.

Chibi J
07-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Here are some Squirrels. I have a long way to go but I am pleased with the progress I have made I can see improvement already in my drawings.

Also some expressions done tonight (think my scanner needs a clean) copying from Dani Jones website, Haven't really done them justice I'm afraid. If you want to see her tutorial that I worked from and more expressions follow this link

http://danidraws.com/2007/12/06/50-facial-expressions-and-how-to-draw-them/

I think its well worth a visit

Oh man I need to buy a new art pen I think I've killed this one it didn't do to well on the outlines tonight.

Chibi J
07-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Hissss snakes tonight. I really like the snake thats bit of a little more than he can chew :D

Chibi J
07-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Here we have a gecko rather than change his positions I changed his personality, I found while drawing I never really change the expressions much, I stick to a safe few so I did an exercise that addressed that.

Also some puddy cats not to pleased with these, though everybody has bad drawing days (Geckos were yesterday page) I like the sassy cat though. If I can get at least one good drawing on a page I'm happy.

Chibi J
08-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok here is a kitten I'll post the sketched paint version tomorrow as I haven't painted it yet.

The other sketch page is titled 'started as a cat but became my dog'.
I copied the cat design and flipped it as I usually do and was going to turn it into a page of expressions, as it happened I was listening to a pod cast about becoming a free lance illustrator and 'I thought I want to write a childrens book' I then thought 'why shouldn't I !'.
So I have decided to work on a little Desk top book for my son. Each time I change the desk top picture it will be a page of my book I'll also post it online here as well.

Ok I was doing the next sketch and my mind was playing with possible ideas. I thought hum maybe I could use the squirrel from earlier but I thought not really personal to me or my son when suddenly I saw my Huskey cross dog taking shape in the sketch so he's going to be the star of my little computer book. I'll post progress diary for the book on a seperate thread.

Chibi J
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Heres the kitterns painted, will I get the chance to do more tonight I'm not sure kiddo is restless so it could be me watching Peppa pig at 1 in the morning.

Chibi J
08-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Woof here are some pooches. Tonights bulldogs are a poor affair :( but I did a page of sketches thats the main thing. I'll get better as I go on, well at least I hope so :(

Chibi J
08-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Woof another pooch and a rather mad cow.

Thinking why the bull dog was a little naff. I think I was trying to be to precise with the drawing, I need to loosen up a touch.

Also I am in the process of making a birthday card for a friend unfortunatly its a late card hense the topic. :D ( I've worked it from one of my sketch ideas) The bunab is drawn on water colour paper and I have used art rage to do a colour spec before I paint the original drawing which I intend to do with real water colours.

If anything I am proud of myself for keeping the sketch book going for this long. I have very little me time in the evenings when my son goes to bed and I have found it has made me more focused in what I intend to achieve each night with my drawing.

Chibi J
08-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Oink a little piggy.
Will I get really good at drawing, pigs might fly. Oooo look one already is though he's not very aerodynamic.

Chibi J
08-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Wow bam suddenly my line quality has improved. I'm in shock I am improving. Also my productivity has increased when I started this sketch book getting one page of drawing done in an evening was hard and now I can do a few pages of this and my book development in the same amount of time.

I'm not to the standed that I want to be but I am pleased with what I am producing.

The horses are a little weak but I was listening out for my little lad he's got a cold and a cough which is making him very restless sleeping tonight. :(

Chibi J
08-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Still chugging away at the sketch book. My line qulity has improved as has my speed. I'm going through a cartooning book by Christopher Hart so just straight copying at the moment though I am noticing how my way of drawing creeps in I don't always join my eyes (say thats an manga influence). I am glad that I am over the hang up that it has to be a perfect copy of whats in the book.

I bounce around my study some nights its the repositioning of a character, some nights its working on my book and at the moment with my child having yet another cough (tough days with tired child and might have to loose my time if he wakes in the night) I'm doing straight copying as I only have to think where the lines are going not having to think of ideas.

Chibi J
08-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Not really posted much recently mainly due to the Hubby killing the pooter. He didn't clean it soon enough and over heated the mother board. I can't really tell him off as I killed a few cars by letting them over heat so were even :D

Anyway I'm still sketching but due to dead pooter I have not been able to scan anything in.

I'm a still working on my book I have come to a design of my character that I am really happy with so my next step is colour comps which I'll be doing in artrage.

Another reason I have not scaned stuff in is I have been creating a blog for myself which can be found here http://chibijanine.blogspot.com/

Something I have been doing is posting texture photos onto flickr, which are available for anybody to use if they wish

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5319476...7624785628752/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157624785628752/)

Some of them are the innards of the poor departed pooter.

Chibi J
09-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok still drawing every day though productivity has been a little down due to little boy having yet another cold, poor lad.

Anyway I am mixing my self study between learning to draw cartoons, looking at anatomy ( unfortunatly doing this from a book, maybe when little lads a bit older I'll see if the museum runs any art groups), looking at other artist styles and I have decided I really like chibis so I'm looking into doing that drawing style by revamping my avatar and doing pictures for Illustration Friday.

http://www.illustrationfriday.com/

Been busy with my blog also

http://chibijanine.blogspot.com/

So here are some of the things I have been doing.

Chibi J
09-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Some more bits that are going into my Illustration Friday piece and my new avatar.

Caesar
09-19-2010, 10:22 PM
These wonderful excercises will be profitable for sure! A well defined sketch is also quite usually the starting point for even the most complex artpieces ...

mannafig
09-21-2010, 05:11 AM
These are some really good drawings.:):)
I especially love Spot he used to be one of my favorites when I was little I even had a teddy of him:D

Chibi J
09-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Aww good old spot I have been subjected to continious Spot DVD for the last few weeks by my son. I don't mind to much it gives me time to have a cuppa in the morning.

Chibi J
09-24-2010, 01:50 PM
I finished on of my paintings the one for Illustration Friday

http://www.illustrationfriday.com/

She is Diana, the Acrobat from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

I also painted the Tiamat (Shes the five head Dragon) as a stand alone piece

Chibi J
09-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Ok its time my little persona had a revamp so I thought I would add how I am going about my painting process.

Firstly I do my sketch on paper of the figure and a rough idea of what will be in the background. I do the back ground detail seperatly at first so I can put a resonable amout of detail in them.

Next I scan the sketches in and using the tranform layer tool position the sketch to where I want it on the page I'm starting with the background. My next process is to open an new layer for the line work.

Chibi J
09-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Ok once I have done the ink work I hide the sketch layer. I then create new layers for the painting . As a point I like layers as they allow me to paint in stages and gives me the option of changing things at varying stages if the composition just doesn't seem to work.
Also as I intend to do illustration getting into the habit of layer work is useful as your client can be a fickle thing at times and they could go could you just change such and such and as I have each aspect on layers changing things is not quite that big a deal.... Any way I digress

My paint layer for the earth and moon done I add a background colour just to get a feel for the piece - Colours and positions may be tweeked later to tie colours together and get the composition right.

Once I have finished that I create a group folder and call it moon and earth and hide the contents so they do not distract me while painting Chibi Janine. I also hide the background colour for now.

Once I have lined Chibi J I have a little look at how she pans with the background. I think that some bits need moving round but I'll come back to that later using the Transform layer tool.

Chibi J
09-24-2010, 02:20 PM
I'll post some more later as she is still a work in progress.

Chibi J
09-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok I admit it I'm a messy painter. Thats another beauty of layers. I have a layer for each colour I roughly block in a colour then erase to sharpen the edge and I won't erase another colour. I find this for me is a lot quicker then trying to paint in the lines.

I block in all parts of the picture and my next stage will be adding highlights and shadows.

Thats it for tonight I'll do more tomorrow. As part of my drawing and painting I try to set little goals such as I skecth the design today, tomorrow block in colours, next night highlights and shadows, tweek design and let Husband review it (this is the most important part as you can be to close to a piece.) then tweek again to his recomendations which are uaually correct and pass it by him again. Then all being well I should have a finished design on my hands.

rozalek
10-05-2010, 11:47 PM
wow im really impressed of the work you have done and how professional it is. with so many options, such a variety. wow. thank you very very much. im an amateur illustrator and its a very interesting subject for me. i havent seen this thread before but now i will be following it:)))
many greetings
ewa

Chibi J
10-06-2010, 06:13 AM
Hi there, thanks for the comment I haven't posted anything for a few days as I have had a toddler with a tummy bug. I hope to get some painting done tonight. Well all being well that is.

rozalek
10-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Chibi i had to check "the tummy bug" word in the dictionary. i hope your baby feels better already and that you will go back to drawing your characters! all the best!

Chibi J
10-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Finally I'm back and continuing with my post. My little boy is a lot better now but he's having a growth spurt now so mid-day naps have suddenly re-started which means later bedtimes less evening time for me. Any way back to the painting.

Ok once I have blocked in each of the colour I will open a new layer above each of the colour layers and set them to blend mode colour burn. I will then paint the shadows on the colour burn layer, the colour that I select to do this is the complimentary colour to the main colour layer. Sometimes I will need to change tone of the shade colour to get the shadow I desire.

I do this for each of the colour layers to get the shading that I want.

Chibi J
10-14-2010, 12:00 PM
I found that I would sometimes have trouble on how to shade my Chibi's so I got inventive and created PlastiChibi which I shine a light on so I can see how the light falls on a chibi type form.

The full range of the lighting effects can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157625027808585/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157625027808585/)

and the making of PlatiChibi can be found here http://chibijanine.blogspot.com/2010/10/shading-problems-im-being-inventive.html

Chibi J
10-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Once I have the shading done I add the hair shine. I paint these on yet another layer above the hair colour layer. I try to keep all my layers bunched together or it gets very confusing.

I also paint on the highlight to her boots and belt to give them shape and the appearence of them being made of a shiny material.

Chibi J
10-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Ok Chibi Janine has been painted, shaded and highlighted it now time to turn my attention back to the background which I have had time to think about.

I open the background layer and create a new layer above it. I select the stencil turbulant and using the air brush tool paint in a colour, I move the stencil around a bit and select another colour to paint with. I keep on doing this until I am happy with the overall effect. OK I know space is black but it makes for a very uninteresting picture.

Once the background is done I open the Earth and moon layers. I merge all the earth layers together and the all the moon layers together. Using the transform layer tool I arrange them to a more pleasing arrangement by changing the size and location. I also changed the colour on the moon slightly using the tranform layer colour to make it appear slightly further away.

Once all the coponents are together I enlarged the canvas size slightly to create a text border and added my title. After a quick check over and a bit of neatening up Chibi Janine is born anew after a few nights work. A great improvement to my previous avatar I think.

kenmo
11-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Great stuff...thanks for sharing....

frame352
11-04-2010, 06:36 PM
hi Chibi J. i thought the hands a very good thing to do!

Ok hands even cartoon hands are annoying things to draw so I did a page found in tedious so I made myself do another page. I trawled through comic stripes and how to draw books ect to try and get many hand positions.

Chibi J
11-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the comment guys gosh trying to maintain all my web presences is hard work. My aim of drawing every day is still going only missed one or two days and thats usually due to poorly toddler. Most of my art updates and art study progress can be found on my blog. (http://chibijanine.blogspot.com/) Here are some stuff I have been doing. My Barney dog character is still evolving and he seems to have aquired a play mate of the cartoon version of my son. I also do the weekly illustration Friday (http://www.illustrationfriday.com/) challenge. So here are a few piccies.

Chibi J
11-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Here is some more art work. Kind of glad to be creating pictures now rather than just studying. Still take the time to study stuff at the moment I have been looking at anime eyes well that is until I get distracted by the anime and end up watching it that is. The bat design ended up on a pumpkin this halloween

Chibi J
11-15-2010, 04:21 PM
I painted my spider

Rhonlynn
11-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Those are the coolest.

Chibi J
12-17-2010, 05:26 PM
Thank you Rhonlynn, sorry for the late reply. Well November has not been the best of months almost constant cold for me and my little boy and a poorly relative. Been down but kept on drawing and I have surprised myself I am ahead of my expectations and I have produced what I consider a marketable product so I have now created a Zazzle store (http://www.zazzle.co.uk/chibi_janine*) and have posted some of my designs there. All of them were painted in this wonderful programme that is Artrage. Here is a little peek at my work. My process and progess can be found here (http://chibijanine.blogspot.com/)