PDA

View Full Version : My First Illustration

Alexandra
05-26-2010, 03:22 AM
Okay, here goes! This is the first page of my first illustration for someone other than myself-so I am trying so hard to make it the best that I can. This is for a story of a beautiful little boy of a family of one of our dear members-Mr. Robert Wade. I am so thrilled that they have considered me.
I wish to enhance and improve this page. I have my sketches complete in my sketchbook, but it is much different when I go to do it on my computer.

Keep in mind, this is not finished-I just wanted to post it as is for you all to see and advise.
I am aware of the line and the boo-boo's-I will be making new layers and adding a lot of enhancements soon.;)

You are welcome to PM me if you wish also.

Many thanks forum mates.:)

Docsmith626
05-26-2010, 05:53 AM
Sandra, I love this! Even the wonky perspective is perfect for a child's book.

L Skylar Brown
05-26-2010, 06:35 AM
I concur with Doc. The images and style are perfect for the material. I'm not sure I can see anything to change.

Alexandra
05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks Doc and Skylar. I colored all in artrage 3 pro and really wanted to outline this. I tried tracing as Tomas had so brilliantly suggested, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the 1% to be defined and dark enough. Maybe the old mac here is just being difficult. I had a lot of great suggestions from our forum mates also concerning the outlining, and wanted to say thank you.
I really appreciate your support guys, it means the world to me! I really want the best that I can produce for this lovely couple and their children.

SCP
05-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Sandra,
Very nice image,I think you have been improving while I have been away;):)
I will PM you.

Alexandra
05-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks Scott, I have some mistakes that need correcting and look forward to learning from your tips!:)

justjean
05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Alexandra, this is just wonderful, so suitable as has been said for a childs book , clap, clap, clap, clap :D

AT-TA
05-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Very good try, Sandy, love the cats around and the whole scene oozes piece and joy..:):)

RobertSWade
05-26-2010, 06:32 PM
A month ago I went on my twice yearly 650 mile trek to visit my daughter, Valerie, and her family in Minnesota. While there, she showed me some ideas she has for some short children's books about things that had actually happened in her life centered around her children. She also had some rough drawings for the first story. She asked me how to proceed and, after an initial idea about an illustrator, I had a better idea and showed her Sandy's work. She fell in love with the "magical quality" of Sandy's work and asked me to contact her. Graciously, Sandy agreed to take on the project.
Obviously, it was a wonderful decision. Sandy has managed to infuse this image with the loving atmosphere of my daughter's family while adding a personal style that works admirably within the genre.
Thank you, my Dear Friend.

Alexandra
05-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Jean, I really appreciate your kindness! Here it is needing so much work and to read that you love it already makes my day! Many thanks kind lady!

AT, I am so happy that you think so! I will keep posting my updates and hope that you like them as well. Thanks so much!

Dear Bob, I am so happy to be able to work with you all and also learn in the process. This has been a dream of mine for so long! I hope that I please you and your family as much as this has pleased me! Please feel free to express your ideas, it will be my pleasure working together with such wonderful people.

Docsmith626
05-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Sandra, the result you've achived is so magical as it is, I doubt outlining would add anything of value. You're right where you need to be.

Alexandra
05-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks so much Doc. I have been away most of the day. I cannot wait to finish this fun first page. Dog blends in with the carpet and there is a faint line from somewhere. The bed lost the pixels and detail when I converted from png to jpg.:(

Lima
05-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Beautiful scenario Alexandra. Wonderful soft colors. The dog is a winner:eek::eek::eek:Congratulations.

rozalek
05-27-2010, 09:26 AM
your illustration is very nice and there are so many things happening in the picture:)) so many animals and nice patterns on the textiles:))) cool birdie behind the window. really nice details. that is my concept too that i want to put many details. children love to look around and make comments and talk about things they see with the parents. good luck with the progress!
r

Alexandra
05-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Dear Oriane, I am so thrilled that you approve. Just wait until I had the magic that I want to add to it!

Rozalek, Thanks so much!!!! Your comments and suggestions have been so encouraging! I am so happy that you like it!:)

Mike Severoff
05-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Very good, kind picture. Excellently!

pai
05-27-2010, 11:45 PM
haha..love to see so many pets and kids around the house. must be fun and lots of works too. great start and very nice illustrated. i like it :)

Alexandra
05-28-2010, 04:22 AM
Hi Michael! Thanks so much dear friend!:)

Dear Pai, so happy always to see you back! Thanks so much for your nice comment! I can't wait to re-do the layers and enhance them. I have had some great tutorial advice from so many nice folks here!:)

eighty+
05-28-2010, 04:54 AM
Alex just a thought make wall colour as per curtains with stars, curtains
as wall colour more folds and little motive fleur-d-l ?? I think that would enhance the room view and window brighter just a thought
keep smiling ( fun stickers on walls children's room )

Alexandra
05-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi Eighty+! Thanks for your suggestion. I am going to begin my new layers soon. I love to have vivid colors and colors that work together, and this is not what I wish for in the color department, nor my style. You can view my gallery and see what type of effects that I like.
When I first started sketching the story, I didn't plan it well-I scanned in my image and began coloring. I should have trace-sketched the first layer for the background and so forth and then deleted the original as instructed by Tomas. Also, through helpful suggestions I should make it smooth surfaced also.
So I have been taking notes and looking forward to doing it correctly. I lost detail when converting to jpeg. I had stars on the curtains like the bedspread. On the bed they are shooting stars. All will be much better when I re-do it. I think you have a terrific idea.:)

Alexandra
05-31-2010, 09:22 PM
I finally outlined. Hats off to the pen artists out there!
This is not the finished product yet. I am still exploring different styles and applications.
Just wanted to share my attempt in outlining. A big whew as this was a challenge.
I really admire Mary Engelbreit and her technique of outlining and shading with color pencils.
Any other suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

SCP
06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Great Job Alexandra!:):):)
It has a real Illustration feel to it.;)

Alexandra
06-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Dear Scott, thanks ever so much for your time and comments. They are so appreciated. I will keep practicing and will apply your wonderful advice.:):):):):)

RobertSWade
06-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Wow! What a punch-up! :eek: I'm lovin' it. :)

Alexandra
06-02-2010, 07:36 AM
I am so glad Bob! Thanks! I will post another when I make corrections.:)

Docsmith626
06-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Sandra, I am really enjoying this journey to finished illustration. You have made it a true delight. :D

Alexandra
06-04-2010, 04:55 AM
Thanks Dear Doc!:)

rozalek
06-04-2010, 11:55 PM
:))) nice and cheerful. congratulations:))) i love the little foot of the boy. hehe

Alexandra
06-06-2010, 05:05 AM
Thanks Roz, I do too! hee hee. I just loved taking my babies feet and kissing them! Now one is grown and the other is already twelve.:(

mannafig
06-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi Sandra I have only just noticed this thread this is a superb image truly delightful and as others have said I like the wonky perspective it will work brilliantly for a children's illustration congratulations:):)

Alexandra
06-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Thank you my dear friend Amanda!

Dany51
06-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I like your illustration and also the friendship
symbolized in it,
very nice from Bob for the idea and very nice
from you to accept it and your illustration is very fine.:)

Alexandra
06-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks Dany, I appreciate that!:)

eighty+
06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi Alex good to see your nearly finished, can I put my foot in again??
no1 the airoplane to show it in level flight is one hell of a Job thats why its allways either climeing or diving thus more natural no2 curtains would like to see them hanging from the rings, ok hope u don't get anoyed by my comments regards E+ E/S

Alexandra
07-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Hi Eighty+, So sorry-didn't check back. Still working on this one-have made several revisions.
This one has also been reworked as I am working with family as I draw on their likes and dislikes.
My client did not like the border, but I thought I would include it in this post. My son loved it so much I thought I would make him one.
What do you think of this one dear man?

eighty+
07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
still the airoplane its hanging by a bldy great chain a thin like a fishing line that u can hardly see use a ruler and use white or black what u like :Dtry and show both wings at least its diving now , would like to see the curtains hanging on the rings or is that too much to ask for I see you've
stuck me on the wall i hope u hav'nt nailed me up through the hands :D

i like the colours and arrangement looking good regards E+-------E/S

Alexandra
07-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Ha ha eighty+-I hope you don't feel as if you are nailed! All right! I will strive for more detail! :p I used Artrage for this and the chain in the stamps and stickers tools. You are one tough cookie! See if I ask you again, you are making me work too hard!:p;)
I have a bit of carpal tunnel thing going on for the first time in my life and I am having to take a break from the pen. Gosh, it is no fun and I have so many ideas that I want to paint!:mad:

eighty+
07-22-2010, 12:00 AM
alex wait to u get to my age when the reaper is getting impatient and u only had the tablet and artrage a few month's just got h/hernia and Divertculiar now the leg's have gone like hippo's because of the acid pills i have to take, went to the doc's yesterday and he's given some other acid pill's i said to him will my arm's swell up instead just got a glum look no humor, anyway had a chat with the reaper he said I've got a good chance of getting a extension on my time he's going to look into for me
so I might be lucky after all so I'll be here to send u all crazy :D:D:D:D:D:D:D 7 lucky for some regards E+ -----------E/S

eighty+
07-22-2010, 12:10 AM
alex wait to u get to my age when the reaper is getting impatient and u only had the tablet and artrage a few month's just got h/hernia and Divertculiar now the leg's have gone like hippo's because of the acid pills i have to take, went to the doc's yesterday and he's given some other acid pill's i said to him will my arm's swell up instead just got a glum look no humor, anyway had a chat with the reaper he said I've got a good chance of getting a extension on my time he's going to look into for me
so I might be lucky after all so I'll be here to send u all crazy :D:D:D:D:D:D:D 7 lucky for some regards E+ -----------E/S

Alexandra
07-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Oh Dear! Bless you eighty+! Do a favor for your artrage mate here would you? Don't forget your water. Try to use a water filter and drink at least five glasses a day.
Try to stay away from processed foods, and eat as much green stuff as you can-a lot of fiber to clear out your tummy issues.
If you were here-I would sweep you off to my holistic MD in Atlanta!:eek:

eighty+
07-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Alex does water thing enclude tea and coffee :D Holy man I thought they only had those in Indea did think of seeing the local Rabbi but then I'd have to take the faith and I don't think the Reaper would like that :eek::eek:

Alexandra
07-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Oh!:eek::mad:NO-drink filtered water please sir. Drink room temperature and drink no less than five glasses a day-but don't omit the tea. If I don't have my tea I am not a nice lady.:eek: I end up not drawing and being snappy. Then the cats don't like me and everything goes down hill from there.:rolleyes:
Haha, no my holistic MD is a Christian like me, but there are many in this field of all faiths that do wonderful things for people. He is well educated in natural healing and regenerating. I would need a day and a half to tell you what he has done for us. I never understood it. My grandmother knew a lot of natural healing,but I was stupid and didn't bother to learn it then. Now, I understand the gut and it's importance-how one absorbs nutrients into the blood stream and your immune system and organs.
Just do your best dear eighty+, but your organs and gut need that pure water.;):) Now, I promise not to nag you anymore.:D

eighty+
07-26-2010, 09:24 AM
good on yea gal but I think I,m in trouble as I'm one of those horrible people who don't believe, should I sing a few haliluhs that might save Me

mind u I don't think the Reaper care's one way or the other :eek::eek::eek:

shrunkendesigner
08-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Good job. I hope your client is happy with the piece (I am sure they will be). Maybe you could flatten the image and export to Photoshop and tweak the colours so they are brighter and more intense.

PS If this is going to be printed, I hope its in CMYK format.

Ilustre
08-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Beautiful illustration!

SCP
08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Sorry I missed the updates Sandy,Very nice job,I'm sure your client loves it!;):):):)

Alexandra
08-19-2010, 03:26 PM
shrunkendesigner, Thanks so much! I also found that at the tool bar at the top of Artrage you can do the same thing with adjusting the colors! I was so happy to find this. And you are right-this would make it much sharper and better looking. Thanks for checking this out. So sorry for the late reply.
Also I regret to say that I have had to back out of the project due to lack of skill needed and family constraints. I wish Bob and Valerie speed and good luck in finding an illustrator for this wonderful story.

Ilustre, Hi and thanks ever so much!:)

Scott, Thanks my dear friend. You helped me out so much, and I really appreciate it.:)

nayrb
10-05-2010, 07:20 PM
As long as the author who commissioned the painting is happy with it, it is fine. I see no flaws in it.

screenpainter
10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
my favorite is the very first one. what a marvelous style. fantastic!

Alexandra
10-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Nayrb and Albert, Your comments mean so much to me and I sincerely thank you.

Alexandra
10-06-2010, 12:55 AM
I wanted to add too that the clients are Robert Wade a very talented member here of this forum and his daughter. The book will be an internet book (see reference in chat area) and since I was not able to do this for them they have had the help of Cedric Trojani-a wonderfully talented person and member here. I wish them great luck, and I am sure it will be a beautifully illustrated story.;):)

TheOutsideWorld
10-31-2010, 12:30 AM
I love it ;d

Alexandra
11-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks so much TOW-I appreciate your nice comment!