PDA

View Full Version : Ouro Preto (Final comments and closing)

Lima
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Historic Town of Ouro Preto, one of UNESCO's world heritage. Here are the fantastic pictures of Guto Magalhães, see, it's worth. (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=750724)

"Ouro Preto" painting is my second attempt to reproduce in ArtRage, the strokes obtained with the spatula.

Best view in large size. Click to enlarge.

Below, see two paintings by the great artist Peter Vey for comparison purposes only. Here is Peter Vey display of art, a true professional artist. (http://www.galleryongreene.com/Peter-Vey.htm)

This is the problem with my English. I put Vey's paintings for comparison, only, with my work. And to know your opinions if this type of work comes with ArtRage, visually speaking, comes close to the work of a professional like Vey. I'm sorry to induce you to think differently.

EB
05-11-2010, 11:01 AM
All three are extremely pleasant to view.
Well done.:)

L Skylar Brown
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
These are most impressive & beautiful, Oriane!

Alexandra
05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Oriane, Beautiful work!!!!!!

Tonyjazz
05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Doctor, very impressive impasto effect here! Very well done but, that second painting is just fantastic. One of your best, tremendo..........TJ

AT-TA
05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
One is a rough beauty, one is so soft and sunkissed, and the last adventerous and courageous.... Oriane, can one get better after this... ?Gorgeous as usually, one cannot miss this work of yours, so much joy they bring to the eye....:)....

Caesar
05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
What an incredible masterpieces gallery, dear Oriane! I'm mouth open stunned!

Lima
05-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Dear friends, I edit the first page.
Here is Peter Vey display of art, a true professional artist. (http://www.galleryongreene.com/Peter-Vey.htm)

This is the problem with my English. I put Vey's paintings for comparison, only, with my work. And to know your opinions if this type of work comes with ArtRage, visually speaking, comes close to the work of a professional like Vey. I'm sorry to induce you to think differently.

"Ouro Preto" painting is my second attempt to reproduce in ArtRage, the strokes obtained with the spatula.
Thank you all very much.:)

Taborn
05-12-2010, 12:28 AM
I think you've done a wonderful job Oriane. It's a wonderful painting.

silvy
05-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Dear Oriane, in my opinion your attempt to reproduce spatula strokes is perfect. I like your painting very much:)

coops
05-12-2010, 04:43 AM
Wonderful rich painting dear Oriane. I love it:)

Lima
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Taborn, Silvy, Coops thank you very much.:):):)

Dany51
05-13-2010, 03:21 AM
Oriane I would have a lot to say about impasto paintings but I am in a real lack of time;
I looked yesterday to the Vey's paintings,
is very difficult to say other way, is a very good commercial painting and i am sure many people would be happy to be able to paint like this,
I like the way he work the impasto and is a good example.

In what concern what we can do with Art Rage as impasto I am not very happy with it, the impasto work needs more freedom and spontaneity and to obtain something more or less acceptable in Art Rage is a heavy work and the result is aleatory. This is my experience and my opinion,
I didn't try very much and I am not very glad with it, also , I don't see anyone to do something that I really enjoy,
I am sure that you work hard on this impasto and I like the colors but I don't like the shapes and I am sure that you did the best you can;
I don't know if it will be possible to make a tool that respond to the pressure and wouldn't be so mechanical .
I really appreciate all your efforts on the subject but For instance the tool don't seems to me as have to be . I hope I am clear in my expression;
perhaps with your persistance will find a way to do things better but I am not sure that is really possible.:o:)

ARTGEEK
05-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Amazing You are a true master artist!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant:D:D:D

mannafig
05-13-2010, 08:03 AM
An outstanding painting dear Oriane:):)

Lando
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM
We strive with our English and for them to understand us, I had the same difficulty with the work of artist Shige. Finally everything can be solved. Este seu trabalho ficou exelente absolveu a técnica de Vey sem perder sua característica que combinou muito bem com Ouro Preto.

Lima
05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Dany, thanks for your comment.
I think Vey is a highly qualified professional, a master. His Caribbean art and his technique are exceptional. I could mention others but I quote the great artist Alex Perez, who works fantastic paintings using impasto technique.

With regard to technique in ArtRage, I think it's definitely possible to improve the brushstrokes simulating the spatula effects. There is a learning curve, I'm still developing it and I hope to get there. This study requires careful attention not to forget the details. I will surely return to this subject.

ArtRage is a program with many skills. It is possible to see this in the numerous art works in watercolor, oil painting and other in many different styles, all produced by the great artists here in the forums. There is no other program with the capability to develop a thick paint, or even simulate impasto as it is possible to obtain with ArtRage. What comes closest is Painter. But to get this pictorial effect is very difficult and boring. Here's the impasto effect obtained by Rhoda Grossman using Painter. (http://www.answers.com/topic/impasto-effect) Thank you Dany. EDIT: link is working

ARTGEEK really thank you very much indeed.

Manna, wow, thank you.

Lando, eh eh, thanks muito obrigado mesmo, tua opinião é muito importante para mim.

wenkat
05-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Your works are always exciting and wonderful; this one too!:)

carlcath
05-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I like what you did on the white building, it's roof, and the sidewalk and curb in front of it. Also, nice choice of colors for the distant mountains.

justjean
05-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Oriane, your great brush stokes, depth of paint, colours and scene all combine to make a wonderful painting

ARTGEEK
05-14-2010, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the links. Peter Vey is a brilliant artist. I love the architecture of the city. Looks like the kind of place I would love to visit.:):):)

Lima
05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Some ideas.

The painting with impasto effect can be achieved either with a brush or with a spatula. When using a spatula, you can load it with one, two or three different paint colors. When the spatula slips and rubs and crushes the canvas it delivers the colors on canvas surface, we obtain an effect derived from the paint color or colors that were loaded in the spatula. Colors are then mixed by crushing and dragging the paints with the spatula. The knife of AR3 does not present for sure, from a technical viewpoint, the same mechanics observed in real life spatula painting. This makes the process of painting with a spatula in AR3 a mechanism quite different, I would say, still lacking a technique being developed. Moreover, the paint that comes out of the tube in AR3 has a thick consistency and is quite different with respect to liquidity and viscosity compared to the real thing, which prevents a greater spontaneity of brushstrokes or the use of spatula in AR.

In the picture below, I made a small experiment: I cuted and pasted in AR3 a piece of the sky of a Vey's painting. Then I simulated in AR3 Vey's use of spatula strokes. Check the next image below.

Lima
05-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Following:

In Vey's image, I pasted randomly in the sky, the spatula strokes I've previously simulated on AR3. Difficult to differentiate, is not it?

My conclusion to this experiment: it is definitely possible to obtain a spatula effect with the program AR3.

Lima
05-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Wenkat, Carlcath, Jean, ARTGEEK thank you really very much.

ARTGEEK I'm happy you checked that link, marvelous images of Ouro Preto, thank you:)

AT-TA
05-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Oriane, your English is very good i wish i was so good in it as you are. But i want to thank you now for bringing so much beauty to our attention: be it the link to Ouro Preto or to work of Peter Vey. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and findings.... i am enjoying all of this immensly.

Your spatula work and that of Peter's are to me almost the same and so are the colors. I wonder how passionate you must be about your painting and it seems you know what to look for and where. And that you always come to share all this hard work with us, explaining howto's so graciousley , speak volumes about you.

Not everybody likes the same painting style, so i wouldn.t bother about any negative comment that appears on this thread. Speaking for me.... I am almost crazy about the colors, and spatula work... always liked it... it reminds me of childhood when we played in the mud after the rainstorm. And to be so close to nature and create or copy her wonders or human build architectural monuments or little weepy huts. hiding behind the brushes... gee... what can in life be more wonderful...

Your work is gorgeous... outstanding, firing with passion for what you like to do.... to paint.

Thanks so much, Oriane, i enjoyed this thread and any other threads of yours, immensely. :)

shechat
05-14-2010, 07:10 PM
AT-TA has said it all. Thank you for posting Oriane :)

Lima
05-15-2010, 09:51 AM
AT your generosity and interpretive capacity to analyze how a work of art can evolve, in itself. Let me thank you sincerely. Your words are a breath of encouragement and push me forward. Thank you very much. You're a gem in this forums:)

Shechat, I think the same about you. For me, watch your eyes and your reassuring and confident serene face , is very cool. Thanks for your opinion.:)

I, for now, I'm closing this thread. Before that however, I leave with you a deeper insight into the impasto technique from an old artist. Look here and delight yourself with Rembrandt and also with the technique of burnt plate oil (http://www.northernlightstudio.com/burnoil.php).

When I feel secure and confident with the development of the impasto technique using the knife in AR3, you can be sure I'll show you how to do it.:)

Mairzie Dotes
05-15-2010, 02:57 PM
orianelima,
It is as if you have collected earth's palette of colors, mixed each
shade with the warmth of the sun, added just the proper measure
of shimmering drops of morning's dew and painted this delightfully
attractive piece. No need to touch ... I can feel the exuberant
texture with my eyes. "Ouro Preto" is absolutely beautiful! :)

AT-TA
05-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Oriane, you are most welcomed. And there's is nothing so rewarding then supporting people in what they do well as it is in this case. Done without any then satisfactorial benefit, it always touches my inner strings.;):)

Mike Severoff
05-15-2010, 10:32 PM
orianelima, your pictures are fine and surprising. Also your researches and lessons are very interesting.
I feel that you the present creator and the artist.
Thanks you.

Lima
05-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Marzie, AT, McKlay thank you all very much. Appreciate your comments.