PDA

View Full Version : Windsor Newton Color Set for AR

KarenB
05-07-2010, 02:26 AM
I would like to share a color set based on the Windsor Newton Watercolors with the group. The colors also have all the names. Enjoy!

Warmest wishes,
Karen Bonaker

Juz
05-07-2010, 06:30 PM
A beautiful palette Karen, thanks for sharing :):)

shechat
05-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Thank you Karen, added to my palette file

Dany51
05-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Excellent watercolors W&N, I like the blues and the rest of all.
Thank you Karen !
As you like W&N , you may find my W&N oil palette in here:
Palettes: oil colours W&N,OH and names (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13375),
my favorite from that files is still OH .:)

eighty+
05-07-2010, 10:22 PM
thanks karenb Itried to get them but got lost :D I press for save and the icon is on desktop when clicked it asked what program I click artrage when I look I can't Find the color's :confused::confused: :)

Borilius
05-09-2010, 06:02 AM
It's a very nice palette, thanks!

Juz
05-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi Eighty+ :):)
You'll need to load your .col file from within the artrage application.
To do this open the colour samples panel and using the menu (top right) choose either 'Import New Global Colour Sample Set' or 'Import New Local Colour Sample Set'.
When you import them as a global set they are available to every new painting you do until you change your global set.
When you import them as a local set they are available to the current open painting only.
Hope this helps :):)

Creativetone
05-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Thank you very much Karen!

I have all those colours in my "real" watercolour palette :D ,yes, I know ...
in reality you do not need that much of colours..

Even 6 (2 of each primaries = warm and cold) could be enough for
someone.

Lima
05-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Karen this is great. Thank you very much.:)

vapsman88
05-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks, Karen!

I used the custom picker from this thread:

Art Supplies > Custom picker utility

to convert it to a PNG and loaded it in color Picker as in the attached image
(Tools->Color Options->Select custom color Picker From Disk)

~John

Creativetone
05-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Karen!

I used the custom picker from this thread:

Art Supplies > Custom picker utility

to convert it to a PNG and loaded it in color Picker as in the attached image
(Tools->Color Options->Select custom color Picker From Disk)

~John

vapsman88 aka John - Thank you very very much! This is great.. custom picker.

vapsman88
05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Tone.
I like it too! :D

Now if I can figure out how to make it stay and not have to load it each time.:rolleyes:

~John

eighty+
05-21-2010, 02:49 AM
thanks juz I'm a bit of a dum dum on computers but I'll have go :confused: :confused:

eighty+
05-22-2010, 10:12 PM
thanks Juz just re-read it I'll have a go, I'll let you know if I succeed :confused:

eighty+
05-30-2010, 04:21 AM
thanks Juz for colour info now to find out how vapsman get's it in the wheel :confused: :confused: sorry didn't reply early got waylayed :D

vapsman88
05-30-2010, 08:20 AM
To get the .col file into the wheel you must convert it to a .png using this great utility:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26914&highlight=color+picker

Then Tools->Color Options->Select custom color Picker From Disk. If you put the converted .png's in your user folder (Color Picker) you can just click in the current color area of the Picker to bring up a menu then select Custom Color Picker Collection and select the one you want.

~John

stab!lo
02-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Hi

Please can you tell me how I would convert the file to a .png? When I downloaded it it came across as an .sqlite file and I've no idea how to convert to a .png.

vapsman88
02-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi

Please can you tell me how I would convert the file to a .png? When I downloaded it it came across as an .sqlite file and I've no idea how to convert to a .png.

So do you mean the colors.col file that Karen posted? It should have been a *.col file type. That may have something to do with your antivirus program, if it comes across as an sqlite file. Try changing the file type to the original file type, .col if it was a color file.

~John

meeks
02-26-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't suppose anyone's come up with a version of that utility that would work in Mac OS X? I tried the Linux version, but I can't even get the .tar file to expand properly :(

screenpainter
03-27-2011, 10:55 PM
very nice set and thanks for sharing.
now if we could only get a Winsor Newton set of the colors after they have been thinned with water. then you have something that could really be valuable for watercolor painting.

KarenB
03-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Well, I use the Thinners slider for that :) Glad you are having fun with them.

Kind regard,
Karen

screenpainter
04-12-2011, 12:10 AM
That makes sense. :)

screenpainter
11-17-2013, 11:02 AM
bringing this up again so I can share it. :)

Jono
07-31-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks Karen. Your efforts from years ago are still being put to good use. I'm just following a real-word watercolour demo that uses W&N colours. It feels so much more authentic to use the same palette. I reckon watercolour painting might have a revival when the 64bit update is released. :D

KarenB
08-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Thanks Karen. Your efforts from years ago are still being put to good use. I'm just following a real-word watercolour demo that uses W&N colours. It feels so much more authentic to use the same palette. I reckon watercolour painting might have a revival when the 64bit update is released. :D

For anyone entering the digital painting world being able to relate immediately to the familiar is important to us. That means mixing colors as well AR is very powerful in that respect :)

Enjoy!
Karen

marianwhit
01-19-2015, 01:49 AM
Nice to be on familiar ground. Artrage gave me a whole studio of art supplies and I feel like I did when I entered a rainforest for the first time...excited but overwhelmed. I have not been able paint for a long time because I cannot lean over a table or grip a brush, but you have me working again:D

Jono
07-21-2016, 12:18 AM
Hehe, another two years gone by, new computer and I'm downloading your watercolour samples again.

Took a bit of finding though!

Thanks again. :)

Hafod
04-16-2018, 10:34 AM
Again, many thanks Karen for sharing these 'benchmark' colours.

Horacio
09-28-2018, 07:01 AM
Thanks, excellent colors.

NickBussy
10-05-2018, 05:56 AM
Those are great - I've being playing with some calligraphy presets and a custom fountain pen (ish) brush so they're a perfect match. Thanks.

Jono
09-29-2021, 10:26 AM
I'm back again! Thanks Karen (again!).

AnothorChance
05-14-2022, 01:00 PM
Hello, I'm about a month into digital drawing/painting. I'm a long time artist, but due to a car accident in 2010 and other circumstances, I could not push my thoughts to my hands correctly. I received a drawing tablet for my birthday last month and I'm loving it, I can actually do what I love again after 12 years of nothing but frustration. I'll post some of my art on the appropriate channel in a few days. My problem is it's seems a lot of the links in the forums are dead ends or no longer working. I would love to download these colors but I keep getting the dead end. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Brian

markw
05-15-2022, 02:38 AM
Hello AnotherChance and welcome to the ArtRage forums :)
Really good to hear that you have found a way to reconnect with your creative side and that ArtRage is a part of that:cool:
Sadly though it is one of those inevitable things I think, that links in any forum can become broken over time.
I would note though, that for me, clicking once on the Colors.col file in the first post in this thread dose still download it.