PDA

View Full Version : 1st artrage portrait

shechat
05-04-2010, 04:48 AM
A portrait of my grandson, good practice (much needed by me) in using the knife for blending. I was quite tempted to discard it several times on the way but kept at it.

EB
05-04-2010, 05:03 AM
What a great first try shechat

As you hone your skills they will just keep getting better.:)

Krondelo
05-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Amazing! and great tribute your grandson. :D May I suggest sharpening some of those edges with shadows and such.

shechat
05-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you EB I appreciate your support.

Krondelo, thank you. I have taken your advise on board and will give your suggestions a go :)

Lando
05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Congratulations on your grandson, your work is good with time will get better go ahead

Alexandra
05-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Well I thought I posted but something must have happened Shechat. I like your portrait and your grandson is a handsome young man. Great job.:)

Lima
05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Very nice Shechat.

justjean
05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
a lovely portrait of a handsome young man

Mairzie Dotes
05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
shechat,
This wonderful portrait speaks a thousand affectionate words. What
could be more endearing than this expression of love of your grandson.
It's absolutely lovely and so well painted! :)

Caesar
05-04-2010, 09:22 PM
You did great instead! Wonderful, and I'm sure quite recognizable, portrait!
As for the blending, I'd suggest not to overwork, to use the hard type at higher pressures to lead properly the strokes, then the wet one with appropriate fine settings and then, the hard type again at lower pressures. You may finally blur if You wish.
You may however use also high thinned oils (pressure at least mid to keep the hue vivid) either on the painting itself (try wet and dry settings, as You prefer) or on an additional layer as a glaze.
Finally the airspray is the ultimate tool should You like a very polished surface look.

mannafig
05-05-2010, 12:12 AM
What an angelic face you did a wonderful job Shechat:):)

shechat
05-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Lando: thank you for your nice comment

Alexandra: Thank you. i did post a thread but when i checked later I couldn't find it, I thought I had made a mistake and reposted, so now I seem to have 2 similar threads, my apologies.

orianelima: Thank you, I really appreciate your comment. I love your work.

justjean: Thank you, he will be pleased when I tell him.

Mairzie Dotes: What wonderful words, thank you

Caesar: I have saved your post and I will follow your method, Thank you for your help.

Thank you mannafig, I appreciate your comment.

screenpainter
05-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Great job! He will love it. I like the bright personality you captured. one suggestion maybe try to add a texture to your canvas and use a touch of oils a bit to add the feel of a real portrait. Also you can use chalk at low pressure to go over areas to blend and maintain texture. The palette knife becomes a wonderful new tool after adding a textured canvas. Give it a try... you will be amazed.

(http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x19/gzairborne/hold/boyportrait.jpg)

Bobbi
05-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Really quite good for a first attempt at a portrait with ArtRage. Keep at it!

wenkat
05-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Superb work! I like it!:)

shechat
05-06-2010, 01:39 AM
I like the added texture of the canvas, it does add to the effect, thank you gzairborne and I will remember the chalk blending tip. I appreciate your help.

Thank youi Bobbi.

Wenkat, my thanks.

screenpainter
05-06-2010, 05:40 AM
Glad you liked the texture idea. It does make an amazing change to the behavior of the palette knife.Your watercolors are amazing on your web site. I just had a look... fantastic!
It remains a great first portrait.

Juz
05-07-2010, 04:47 PM
What a fantastic first portrait Shecat... after GZ's comments I too went for a visit to your amazing watercolours, such fabulous work, I especially love the moggie in the basket (so tempted to tickle that belly) :):)

shechat
05-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Thank you Juz. I appreciate your comment on the portrait and another thank you for visiting my website and the nice comments on my watercolours, so pleased you liked my cat painting.