PDA

View Full Version : Copying a Giacomo Favretto's painting

Caesar
04-30-2010, 01:58 AM
At the end, through eiter a second layer and/ or thanks to Juz' suggestions I should be able to tone down and better harmonize its.
It will be an interesting experiments.
One layer this far for the painting (one for the black circle), no tracing or colour picking, just direct mixing on the painting itself.

Find the original painting in here to eventually compare, if You wish:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=it&q=giacomo+favretto&lr=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=yo_ZS9jMA4X7_Aaj-MHWDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQsAQwAA

wenkat
04-30-2010, 03:22 AM
You're well on track! Can't wait to see the completed one! Best of Luck!:)

Caesar
05-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Thank You, dear Wenkat! I had some more time. Here's the second step (almost finished). Later on I'll try to adjust, fine tune colors and tones and detail better on a larger canvas, I guess ... This one is pretty small (around 1500 x 1500 pixels).

Andrea
05-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Cesare it's beautiful! I love the technique you are using. I didn't know Favretto and I'll take the time to explore his biography and production. Thanks! :)

ScottF
05-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Fascinating experiment, Caesar! Looking forward to the finished version.

Caesar
05-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Thank You, dear Andrea! I'm quite proud to receive a compliment by You, since I admire very much Your talent. This technique was speedy enough, but not as much as I hoped, since at least another layers and a setting may show necessary for the reasons wrote above.

I think I'll go on as soon as I will be able, dear Scott, probably after the week-end, since I didn't save the AR painting on my pen. Unfortunately I generally work on another PC, with a quite poor screen, so I realize unperfections only later on ... Thank You!

alkratzer
05-01-2010, 10:01 AM
I love this exercise Caesar, and you are getting some superb color mixes going! I look forward to the final!

Caesar
05-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Thank You, dear Al! I hope I'll keep the promises ...

AT-TA
05-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Love it as it is already, Caesar... such a nice pose and palette is so much yours....

Caesar
05-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Thank You, dear Anna!
Probably that's why I'm an admirer of Giacomo Favretto (second half of the XIX century). I hope You had the opportunity to look at the link with pages of his works I attached hereabove. A style wih impressionistic suggestions and lessons on a solid and ancient colors from centuries of Venitian masters ... almost unique!

Lima
05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Stunning:eek::eek::eek:. Amazing, wonderful painting. The colors are terrific, so really nice.

shechat
05-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Wow! looking good Caesar. it looks great at this stage, looking forward to seeing the next stage.

Dany51
05-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Thank you Caesar to let us discover the Italian painters,
this time Giacomo Favretto; I didn't knew him before and
for sure, when I will have time I will try to see more of
his paintings.
I like the way you did the replica,
the second on have an excellent atmosphere,
I would say, is almost better than the original ,
I hope to see the finished work .:)

Caesar
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Dear Oriane, the merits are not mine, but Gacomo Favretto's. I only tried to follow his colors by mixing AR oils and check how far I could go in my emulation. I must say that I was also inspired and induced to review Your marvellous tutorial on how to get impastos (I eventually didn't use in here though). Thank You!

Thank You, dear Shecat. I recently didn't have time to go on on either this or another one unfortunately ...:(

Dear Dany, it was first a pleasure to me too rediscover him. There an exibition in Rome in this month. You know, it's harder to find these painters whose works are in private colloctions displaid.
Moreove the art fame and value is affected by many factors, especially in the last couple of centuries. Places, circles, markets, business and a certain amount of chauvinisms sometimes, tend to determine them not always according to a more objective view, thus the present rankings and many mostly "unknowns" are all over I guess.
Here I just displaid two steps and look forward finishing this copy of one of the easiest Favretto's paint to exercise on. Thank You for Your not fully deserved compliments anyway!